* [OPAE] Signaltap not working with nlb_mode_0_stp example
@ 2018-12-03  2:51 Jens Huthmann
From: Jens Huthmann @ 2018-12-03  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: opae

Hello!

I want to use Signaltap to debug a system build into the green area of
the AFU.

To confirm that it works I followed the instructions at
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/bfr1522087299048.html#dir1512265248423

The example works if I just load the provided bitstream from the
nlb_mode_0_stp/bin directory.

However, if I build the bitstream myself I cannot connect to Signaltap.

After creating a working copy of the example I executed the following steps:

afu_synth_setup -s hw/rtl/filelist_mode_0_stp.txt build_mode_0_stp

cd build_mode_0_stp

/opt/intel/opae/a10_gx_pac_ias_1_1_beta/bin/run.sh

fpgaconf nlb_400.gbs

mmlink -P 3333

system-console --rc_script=mmlink_setup_profiled.tcl remote_debug.sof
localhost 3333

quartus ../hw/par/stp_basic.stp

I could complete every step up until the last one, where I can see the
Signaltap device but recieve the following error when trying to acquire
data.

"Error(261005): Can't find the instance.  Download a design with SRAM
Object File containing this instance."

If I reprogram the device with the provided bitstream it works. The one
I generated using run.sh does not work.

I used Quartus Prime 1.7.1.1 Build 273 for the synthesis and IAS release
1.1 beta.

Greetings

Jens

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 2541 bytes --]

* Re: [OPAE] Signaltap not working with nlb_mode_0_stp example
@ 2018-12-03 14:53 Adler, Michael
From: Adler, Michael @ 2018-12-03 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: opae

That’s odd. Did your build pass timing? Look in build/output/timing_report/clocks.sta.fail.summary, which should be empty. Run scripts 1.2 and later will print timing pass/fail at the end without having to look.

The method used internally to build the AFU you say works is identical, driven by the same afu_synth_setup of the same configuration file. I’m not a big signaltap user, so going out on a limb. Does it have to be run from the directory where the project was built? That would be build_mode_0_stp/build (one level down from where you are in the “build” directory). You would also have to adjust the path to ../../hw/par/stp_basic.stp. You could also try to run STP from the directory that you already know works but with the AFU you build loaded in order to rule out path problems.

I suppose it could be a beta problem, too. The final version of the code can be downloaded here<https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/acceleration-card-arria-10-gx.html>. It includes a patched version of Quartus (17.1.1) that fixes some PR problems. You will have to follow the instructions for updating the board configuration. That process is improving significantly with newer releases. No guarantee that doing the update will fix the problem, but the release is available and is an improvement over the beta.

-Michael