* [dm-crypt] Regarding DAS Encryption for RHEL7
@ 2020-10-08 14:52 La Poubelle
From: La Poubelle @ 2020-10-08 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hello,

My question is:

Does LUKS, LUKS2, or cryptsetup have the capability to encrypt the
operating system for RHEL7?

I am looking to implement Data-at-Rest Encryption for a stand-alone RHEL 7
virtual machine (offline) and I have been looking into LUKS2 or cryptsetup
to fulfill this requirement. I referenced your FAQ and some of my questions
were resolved, however I am still hesitant to move forward. Ultimately, I
want a way to protect against someone taking a copy of the Virtual Hard
drive for my Linux machine and being able to boot into the operating system
without entering in a passphrase or key. The key files on my machine are
encrypted, or will be encryped, but I need the operating system to be
inaccessible unless it's booted using the virtual TPM or using a
key/passphrase to decrypt the drive.

Thank you for your help!

Logan.

* Re: [dm-crypt] Regarding DAS Encryption for RHEL7
@ 2020-10-10 17:53 ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2020-10-10 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: La Poubelle, dm-crypt

On 08/10/2020 16:52, La Poubelle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My question is:
>
> Does LUKS, LUKS2, or cryptsetup have the capability to encrypt the operating system for RHEL7?

Yes, LUKS for root fs is supported in RHEL7 since GA, even in installer. Please see RHEL/CentOS documentation.

Milan