* BoF on LPC 2019 : Linux Perf advancements for compute intensive and server systems
@ 2019-08-26 11:36 Alexey Budankov
From: Alexey Budankov @ 2019-08-26 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Olsa, Namhyung Kim, Alexander Shishkin,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Peter Zijlstra, Andi Kleen, Kan Liang,
	Stephane Eranian, Ian Rogers, Song Liu, Jin, Yao
  Cc: Ingo Molnar, Thomas Gleixner, Kees Cook, Jonatan Corbet,
	linux-perf-users, linux-kernel, Mark Rutland

Hi,

There is a BoF session scheduled on Linux Plumbers Conference 2019 event.
If you plan attend the event feel free to join and discuss about the BoF
topic and beyond:

Linux Perf advancements for compute intensive and server systems:

"Modern server and compute intensive systems are naturally built around
 several top performance CPUs with large amount of cores and equipped
 by shared memory that spans a number of NUMA domains. Compute intensive
 workloads usually implement highly parallel CPU bound cyclic codes
 performing mathematics calculations that reference data located in
 the shared memory. Performance observability and profiling of these
 workloads on such systems have unique characteristics and impose specific
 requirements on software performance tools. The requirements include
 tools CPU scalability, coping with high rate and volume of collected
 performance data as well as NUMA awareness. In order to fulfill that
 requirements a number of extensions have been implemented in Linux Perf
 tool that are currently a part of the Linux kernel source tree
 [1], [2], [3], [4]"

Best regards,
Alexey

[1] https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=154149439404555&w=2
[2] https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=154817912621465&w=2
[3] https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=155293062518459&w=2
[4] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/perf-security.html

* Re: BoF on LPC 2019 : Linux Perf advancements for compute intensive and server systems
@ 2019-08-26 13:55 ` Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo @ 2019-08-26 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Budankov
  Cc: Jiri Olsa, Namhyung Kim, Alexander Shishkin, Peter Zijlstra,
	Andi Kleen, Kan Liang, Stephane Eranian, Ian Rogers, Song Liu,
	Jin, Yao, Ingo Molnar, Thomas Gleixner, Kees Cook,
	Jonatan Corbet, linux-perf-users, linux-kernel, Mark Rutland

Em Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 02:36:48PM +0300, Alexey Budankov escreveu:

> Hi,
>
> There is a BoF session scheduled on Linux Plumbers Conference 2019 event.
> If you plan attend the event feel free to join and discuss about the BoF
> topic and beyond:
>
> Linux Perf advancements for compute intensive and server systems:
>
> "Modern server and compute intensive systems are naturally built around
>  several top performance CPUs with large amount of cores and equipped
>  by shared memory that spans a number of NUMA domains. Compute intensive
>  workloads usually implement highly parallel CPU bound cyclic codes
>  performing mathematics calculations that reference data located in
>  the shared memory. Performance observability and profiling of these
>  workloads on such systems have unique characteristics and impose specific
>  requirements on software performance tools. The requirements include
>  tools CPU scalability, coping with high rate and volume of collected
>  performance data as well as NUMA awareness. In order to fulfill that
>  requirements a number of extensions have been implemented in Linux Perf
>  tool that are currently a part of the Linux kernel source tree
>  [1], [2], [3], [4]"

All those are already merged, after long reviewing phases and lots of
testing, right?

I think the next step for people working in this area, in preparation
for this BoF, is to list what are their current efforts, like Ian et all
did in:

  https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/4/contributions/291/

- Arnaldo

--

- Arnaldo

* Re: BoF on LPC 2019 : Linux Perf advancements for compute intensive and server systems
@ 2019-08-26 14:25   ` Alexey Budankov
From: Alexey Budankov @ 2019-08-26 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
  Cc: Jiri Olsa, Namhyung Kim, Alexander Shishkin, Peter Zijlstra,

On 26.08.2019 16:55, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 02:36:48PM +0300, Alexey Budankov escreveu:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a BoF session scheduled on Linux Plumbers Conference 2019 event.
>> If you plan attend the event feel free to join and discuss about the BoF
>> topic and beyond:
>>
>> Linux Perf advancements for compute intensive and server systems:

<SNIP>

> All those are already merged, after long reviewing phases and lots of
> testing, right?

Right. These changes now constitute parts of the Linux kernel source tree.

~Alexey

@ 2019-08-26 17:57     ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2019-08-26 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Budankov
  Cc: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Jiri Olsa, Namhyung Kim,
	Alexander Shishkin, Peter Zijlstra, Kan Liang, Stephane Eranian,
	Ian Rogers, Song Liu, Jin, Yao, Ingo Molnar, Thomas Gleixner,
	Kees Cook, Jonatan Corbet, linux-perf-users, linux-kernel,
	Mark Rutland

> > All those are already merged, after long reviewing phases and lots of
> > testing, right?
>
> Right. These changes now constitute parts of the Linux kernel source tree.

Might be better to focus on future areas that haven't been merged yet.

-Andi

* Re: BoF on LPC 2019 : Linux Perf advancements for compute intensive and server systems
@ 2019-08-26 22:10       ` Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo @ 2019-08-26 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen
  Cc: Alexey Budankov, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo, Jiri Olsa,
	Namhyung Kim, Alexander Shishkin, Peter Zijlstra, Kan Liang,

Em Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 10:57:58AM -0700, Andi Kleen escreveu:

> > > All those are already merged, after long reviewing phases and lots of
> > > testing, right?
> >
> > Right. These changes now constitute parts of the Linux kernel source tree.
>
> Might be better to focus on future areas that haven't been merged yet.

Agreed, we can have a initial, short report on what has been done to
address these issues, and I think Alexey could take care of that, but
then we should try and list here what else in addition to what Ian et
all listed on their talk.

And perhaps even things that ammeliorate the problems they list there,
i.e. Ian, Stephane, the things that Alexey listed were already
tested/considered by you guys?

- Arnaldo

* Re: BoF on LPC 2019 : Linux Perf advancements for compute intensive and server systems
@ 2019-08-27  7:48         ` Jiri Olsa
From: Jiri Olsa @ 2019-08-27  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
  Cc: Andi Kleen, Alexey Budankov, Namhyung Kim, Alexander Shishkin,
	Peter Zijlstra, Kan Liang, Stephane Eranian, Ian Rogers,
	Song Liu, Jin, Yao, Ingo Molnar, Thomas Gleixner, Kees Cook,

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 07:10:21PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

> > > Right. These changes now constitute parts of the Linux kernel source tree.
> >
> > Might be better to focus on future areas that haven't been merged yet.
>
> Agreed, we can have a initial, short report on what has been done to
> address these issues, and I think Alexey could take care of that, but
> then we should try and list here what else in addition to what Ian et
> all listed on their talk.
>
> And perhaps even things that ammeliorate the problems they list there,
> i.e. Ian, Stephane, the things that Alexey listed were already
> tested/considered by you guys?

there's also ongoing work on adding threads to perf record:
  https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20180913125450.21342-1-jolsa@kernel.org/#t

currently being stuck on me sending the perf_sesion changes

Alexey ran some initial benchmarks and it seems to perform nicely,
not sure we discussed the results on list thought

jirka