* Commit moratorium for branching Xen 4.9
@ 2017-05-25 15:54 Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-05-25 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: committers; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi,

The patches fixing the 2 outstanding regressions have been merged.

I would like to make another attempt to branch with the RC (4.9 RC7). I
don't want to branch when master != staging, so please avoid committing
new patches to staging now to let master catch up with staging. Another
announcement will be made when the moratorium is lifted.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall

* Re: Commit moratorium for branching Xen 4.9
@ 2017-05-25 17:08 ` Boris Ostrovsky
From: Boris Ostrovsky @ 2017-05-25 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, committers; +Cc: xen-devel

On 05/25/2017 11:54 AM, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The patches fixing the 2 outstanding regressions have been merged.

Is this:

https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-05/msg02340.html

being deferred to the next RC (if we are having one)?

-boris

@ 2017-05-25 17:46   ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-05-25 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boris Ostrovsky, committers; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Boris,

On 25/05/17 18:08, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
> On 05/25/2017 11:54 AM, Julien Grall wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The patches fixing the 2 outstanding regressions have been merged.
>
> Is this:
>
> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-05/msg02340.html
>
> being deferred to the next RC (if we are having one)?

I missed that issue sorry. So far, this patch lacks of
Acked-by/Reviewed-by but as a Tested-by.

I am aware the patch that introduced the regression (efa9596e9d "x86/mm:
fix incorrect unmapping of 2MB and 1GB pages") was attempting to prevent
breaking down an EPT structure irreversibly when removing 2MB and 1GB
pages. AFAIU, this commit will improve performance, but a boot
regression was introduced on AMD platforms.

As the first regression was not introduced by Xen 4.9 and we lack review
bandwidth, I would suggest to revert the commit efa9596e9d until we get
the patch [1] reviewed.

If we managed to review it before the release, then we can consider to
include both of them. But, at the moment, I would not consider the
regression fixed by the commit efa9596e9d as a blocker for the release.

Cheers,

[1]

@ 2017-05-25 18:00     ` Boris Ostrovsky
From: Boris Ostrovsky @ 2017-05-25 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, committers; +Cc: xen-devel

On 05/25/2017 01:46 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi Boris,
>
> On 25/05/17 18:08, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
>> On 05/25/2017 11:54 AM, Julien Grall wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The patches fixing the 2 outstanding regressions have been merged.
>>
>> Is this:
>>
>> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-05/msg02340.html
>>

>> being deferred to the next RC (if we are having one)?
>
> I missed that issue sorry. So far, this patch lacks of
> Acked-by/Reviewed-by but as a Tested-by.
>
> I am aware the patch that introduced the regression (efa9596e9d
> "x86/mm: fix incorrect unmapping of 2MB and 1GB pages") was attempting
> to prevent breaking down an EPT structure irreversibly when removing
> 2MB and 1GB pages. AFAIU, this commit will improve performance, but a
> boot regression was introduced on AMD platforms.

The regression only affects AMD guests that have maxmem > memory.

Since we have a fix in flight my suggestion would be to release-note
this issue but not revert the offending patch.

-boris

@ 2017-05-26  6:02       ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2017-05-26  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall, Boris Ostrovsky; +Cc: xen-devel, committers

>>> On 25.05.17 at 20:00, <boris.ostrovsky@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 05/25/2017 01:46 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
>> On 25/05/17 18:08, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
>>> Is this:
>>>
>>> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-05/msg02340.html
>>>

>>> being deferred to the next RC (if we are having one)?
>>
>> I missed that issue sorry. So far, this patch lacks of
>> Acked-by/Reviewed-by but as a Tested-by.
>>
>> I am aware the patch that introduced the regression (efa9596e9d
>> "x86/mm: fix incorrect unmapping of 2MB and 1GB pages") was attempting
>> to prevent breaking down an EPT structure irreversibly when removing
>> 2MB and 1GB pages. AFAIU, this commit will improve performance, but a
>> boot regression was introduced on AMD platforms.
>

> The regression only affects AMD guests that have maxmem > memory.
>
> Since we have a fix in flight my suggestion would be to release-note
> this issue but not revert the offending patch.

I'm pretty convinced we can get this sorted before 4.9 goes out,
so +1 to not reverting right away. I'm not even sure is we may
notice this in osstest, as I'm uncertain whether there are any
tests with maxmem > memory.

Jan

* Re: Commit moratorium for branching Xen 4.9
@ 2017-05-26 10:56         ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-05-26 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Boris Ostrovsky; +Cc: xen-devel, committers

Hi Jan,

On 26/05/17 07:02, Jan Beulich wrote:

>>> I missed that issue sorry. So far, this patch lacks of
>>> Acked-by/Reviewed-by but as a Tested-by.
>>>
>>> I am aware the patch that introduced the regression (efa9596e9d
>>> "x86/mm: fix incorrect unmapping of 2MB and 1GB pages") was attempting
>>> to prevent breaking down an EPT structure irreversibly when removing
>>> 2MB and 1GB pages. AFAIU, this commit will improve performance, but a
>>> boot regression was introduced on AMD platforms.
>>

>> The regression only affects AMD guests that have maxmem > memory.
>>
>> Since we have a fix in flight my suggestion would be to release-note
>> this issue but not revert the offending patch.
>
> I'm pretty convinced we can get this sorted before 4.9 goes out,
> so +1 to not reverting right away. I'm not even sure is we may
> notice this in osstest, as I'm uncertain whether there are any
> tests with maxmem > memory.

I haven't spot any failure related to that.

Anyway, I will keep an eye on the patch but I will not consider as a
blocker for branching.

Cheers,

--

@ 2017-05-30 17:05 ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-05-30 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: committers; +Cc: xen-devel

On 25/05/17 16:54, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The patches fixing the 2 outstanding regressions have been merged.
>
> I would like to make another attempt to branch with the RC (4.9 RC7). I
> don't want to branch when master != staging, so please avoid committing
> new patches to staging now to let master catch up with staging. Another
> announcement will be made when the moratorium is lifted.

Xen 4.9 has been branched and now re-opened. For bug fixes please commit
them to staging first then backport them to staging 4.9.

Please CC me on any patch going to Xen 4.9.

Cheers,

--

@ 2017-06-01 17:57         ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-06-01 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich, Boris Ostrovsky; +Cc: xen-devel, committers, lars.kurth

Hi,

>>> I missed that issue sorry. So far, this patch lacks of
>>> Acked-by/Reviewed-by but as a Tested-by.
>>>
>>> I am aware the patch that introduced the regression (efa9596e9d
>>> "x86/mm: fix incorrect unmapping of 2MB and 1GB pages") was attempting
>>> to prevent breaking down an EPT structure irreversibly when removing
>>> 2MB and 1GB pages. AFAIU, this commit will improve performance, but a
>>> boot regression was introduced on AMD platforms.
>>

>> The regression only affects AMD guests that have maxmem > memory.
>>
>> Since we have a fix in flight my suggestion would be to release-note
>> this issue but not revert the offending patch.
>
> I'm pretty convinced we can get this sorted before 4.9 goes out,
> so +1 to not reverting right away. I'm not even sure is we may
> notice this in osstest, as I'm uncertain whether there are any
> tests with maxmem > memory.

I haven't seen any update on this patch. Shall we make a release note
about the regression or will it be fixed for Xen 4.9?

Cheers,

--

@ 2017-06-06 12:43           ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2017-06-06 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel, Boris Ostrovsky

>>> On 01.06.17 at 19:57, <julien.grall@arm.com> wrote:
> Hi,

>>> The regression only affects AMD guests that have maxmem > memory.
>>>
>>> Since we have a fix in flight my suggestion would be to release-note
>>> this issue but not revert the offending patch.
>>
>> I'm pretty convinced we can get this sorted before 4.9 goes out,
>> so +1 to not reverting right away. I'm not even sure is we may
>> notice this in osstest, as I'm uncertain whether there are any
>> tests with maxmem > memory.
>
> I haven't seen any update on this patch. Shall we make a release note
> about the regression or will it be fixed for Xen 4.9?

I've committed this one to master a minute ago; would need your
ack for 4.9. Would also need your ack for pulling over "x86/HVM:
correct notion of new CPL in task switch emulation".

Jan

* Re: Commit moratorium for branching Xen 4.9
@ 2017-05-22 17:35 ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-05-22 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: committers; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi all,

We haven't branch due to some regressions found during the week-end.

Meanwhile an RC has been cut and staging has been re-opened.

Please CC me on any patch going to Xen 4.9.

Cheers,

staging is now re-opened. We haven't branch due to some

--
Julien Grall

* Commit moratorium for branching Xen 4.9
@ 2017-05-19 14:56 Julien Grall