* applications
@ 2017-03-16 12:40 Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2017-03-16 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hello,

The end of the application period is coming up in two weeks (March 30).
Greg doesn't take any more patches from the mailing list after the end of
the application period, so the patches that count for your application are
essentially those that are accepted up to that time.

For the application, we are not looking for a major literary masterpiece.
Ideally an application should be concise and to the point, but should
accurately reflect the things that you have done.  It is not necessary to
list all the patches that can be found in the staging tree, but you may
want to summarize the range of more interesting patches that you have
submitted.

Also, there will be only one intern per project, so don't spend all of
your time on the small tasks of one single project, but instead do some
work on all of the projects that could be of interest to you.  And discuss
with the mentor a possible work timeline, not so much to nail things down,
but just so that everyone has a clear idea of what will be accomplished in
the project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  I would also be happy to
review applications when they are ready.

julia

* Re: applications
@ 2017-03-16 13:05 ` Aishwarya Pant
From: Aishwarya Pant @ 2017-03-16 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hi Julia

Could you confirm on the projects for this application period?

On the outreachy site five projects have been listed:

-- Analyze memory resource release operators with Hector and fix Linux
kernel memory bugs
-- Improve process ID allocation
-- Improve nftables
-- Write a driver for a sensor using the Industrial I/O interface
-- Improve documentation build system and translate docs into ReStructured
Text format

While the outreachy intro page on kernelnewbies has four:

-- Using an IDR to replace the process ID allocator
-- nftables
-- IIO driver
-- Documentation

 Thanks!

On Thursday, 16 March 2017 18:10:51 UTC+5:30, Julia Lawall wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The end of the application period is coming up in two weeks (March 30).
> Greg doesn't take any more patches from the mailing list after the end of
> the application period, so the patches that count for your application are
> essentially those that are accepted up to that time.
>
> For the application, we are not looking for a major literary masterpiece.
> Ideally an application should be concise and to the point, but should
> accurately reflect the things that you have done.  It is not necessary to
> list all the patches that can be found in the staging tree, but you may
> want to summarize the range of more interesting patches that you have
> submitted.
>
> Also, there will be only one intern per project, so don't spend all of
> your time on the small tasks of one single project, but instead do some
> work on all of the projects that could be of interest to you.  And discuss
> with the mentor a possible work timeline, not so much to nail things down,
> but just so that everyone has a clear idea of what will be accomplished in
> the project.
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions.  I would also be happy to
> review applications when they are ready.
>
> julia

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] applications
@ 2017-03-16 13:23 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-03-16 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 01:40:09PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The end of the application period is coming up in two weeks (March 30).
> Greg doesn't take any more patches from the mailing list after the end of
> the application period, so the patches that count for your application are
> essentially those that are accepted up to that time.

Along those lines, I've caught up with all submitted outreachy patches
that I know of at the moment.  So again, if you have not received an
email saying that your patch was applied, consider it lost, and rebase
and resend it.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Re: applications
@ 2017-03-16 14:38   ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2017-03-16 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aishwarya Pant; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017, Aishwarya Pant wrote:

> Hi Julia
>
> Could you confirm on the projects for this application period?
>
> On the outreachy site five projects have been listed:
> -- Analyze memory resource release operators with Hector and fix Linux
> kernel memory bugs

I asked them to remove this.

> -- Improve process ID allocation
> -- Improve nftables
> -- Write a driver for a sensor using the Industrial I/O interface
> -- Improve documentation build system and translate docs into ReStructured
> Text format
>
> While the outreachy intro page on kernelnewbies has four:
>
> -- Using an IDR to replace the process ID allocator
> -- nftables
> -- IIO driver
> -- Documentation

This is the correct list.

julia

>  Thanks!
>
> On Thursday, 16 March 2017 18:10:51 UTC+5:30, Julia Lawall wrote:
>       Hello,
>
>       The end of the application period is coming up in two weeks
>       (March 30).
>       Greg doesn't take any more patches from the mailing list after
>       the end of
>       the application period, so the patches that count for your
>       application are
>       essentially those that are accepted up to that time.
>
>       For the application, we are not looking for a major literary
>       masterpiece.
>       Ideally an application should be concise and to the point, but
>       should
>       accurately reflect the things that you have done.  It is not
>       necessary to
>       list all the patches that can be found in the staging tree, but
>       you may
>       want to summarize the range of more interesting patches that you
>       have
>       submitted.
>
>       Also, there will be only one intern per project, so don't spend
>       all of
>       your time on the small tasks of one single project, but instead
>       do some
>       work on all of the projects that could be of interest to you.
>        And discuss
>       with the mentor a possible work timeline, not so much to nail
>       things down,
>       but just so that everyone has a clear idea of what will be
>       accomplished in
>       the project.
>
>       Please let me know if you have any questions.  I would also be
>       happy to
>       review applications when they are ready.
>
>       julia

* applications
@ 2018-03-29  9:37 Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-03-29  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Please remember that applicatyions are due today at 4pm UTC.

After that time, you can continue to add contributions, but only in cases
where you have made an application.

julia

* applications
@ 2017-10-22  7:42 Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2017-10-22  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Applications are due tomorrow at 07:00 pm UTC.  If you aren't sure what
time that is, just start your application now :)  In particular, please
fill in all information related to your eligibility status as soon as
possible.  No more new patches will be accepted via the outreachy mailing
list after that time.  You can update your application after the deadline,
but don't delay, because we will be making decisions very shortly.

thanks,
julia

* applications
@ 2017-10-12  9:26 Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2017-10-12  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

If you have not yet done so, please feel free to work on your
applications:

https://outreachy.gnome.org/

Note that it is not necessary to create a literary masterpiece.  We are
really looking at the quality of your contributions, more than the quality
of the application.  But the application does provide some background
information that can be taken into account.

julia

* applications
@ 2016-10-10 21:51 Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-10-10 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hello,

When you list your project preferences, it would be helpful to mention
what you have done on each project so far.  You should also discuss with
the mentor for each project what a reasonable timeline would be.  The
timeline need not be set in stone, but it should help everyone be clear on
where to start, and what the overall expectations are.

2-3 project is a reasonable number to apply for.  You may not get your
first choice, but we also don't want to assign you to something you are
not at all interested in.

julia

* Re: applications
@ 2016-03-21  5:42 ` Angel Orejel
From: Angel Orejel @ 2016-03-21  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hello Julia,
I m currently working through the tutorial and I think I need a mentor to
send a patch to,
among other things.

On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 9:11:22 AM UTC-7, Julia Lawall wrote:

> Please remember that applications are due on Tuesday March 22 at 7pm UTC.
>
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy#Application_Process
> Then search for Submit an Application
>
> Mentors should also log in and request to be a mentor for the Linux
> kernel, to be able to see the applications.
>
> Let me know if you have any questions/problems with the application
> process.
>
> julia

* applications
@ 2016-03-18 16:11 Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2016-03-18 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

@ 2015-11-02 15:56 Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2015-11-02 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hello,

The application system will close in a few hours (7pm UTC).  If you have
started an application before that time, you can update it afterwards, but
please do so very shortly after the deadline, as we will be reading the
applications very soon.

Also, after 7pm UTC you should not send patches to this mailing list any
more.  If you would like to continue contributing to the Linux kernel, you
can use the get_maintainer.pl script in the Linux kernel scripts directory
to find out who to send them to.  You may find the following options
useful to avoid sending patches to too many people:

 --nokeywords --nogit --nogit-fallback --norolestats

Another options is to work on the Y2038 problem, which has a dedicated
mailing list, or to work on the eudyptula challenge.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, and thank you
for all of the work done during the application period.

julia

* applications
@ 2015-10-28 21:24 Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2015-10-28 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

For the application, if you would like to apply for several kernel
projects (which we encourage you to do), please submit only one
application.

thanks,
julia

* applications
@ 2015-03-17  8:39 Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2015-03-17  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Applications should be submitted by March 24, which is one week from
today.  You can update your application until April 1.

julia