* selftests: Completion of error handling
@ 2017-11-21 14:04 ` SF Markus Elfring
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2017-11-21 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kselftest, Shuah Khan; +Cc: LKML, kernel-janitors

Hello,

Static source code analysis points out that the checking of return values from
some function calls is incomplete also in this software area.
How would you like to fix remaining open issues there?

Regards,
Markus

From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2017-11-21 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

Hello,

Static source code analysis points out that the checking of return values from
some function calls is incomplete also in this software area.
How would you like to fix remaining open issues there?

Regards,
Markus

* [Linux-kselftest-mirror] selftests: Completion of error handling
@ 2017-11-21 14:04 ` SF Markus Elfring

* [Linux-kselftest-mirror] selftests: Completion of error handling
@ 2017-11-21 14:04 ` SF Markus Elfring

* Re: selftests: Completion of error handling
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2017-11-21 15:40   ` Shuah Khan
From: Shuah Khan @ 2017-11-21 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SF Markus Elfring, linux-kselftest
  Cc: LKML, kernel-janitors, Shuah Khan, Shuah Khan

On 11/21/2017 07:04 AM, SF Markus Elfring wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Static source code analysis points out that the checking of return values from
> some function calls is incomplete also in this software area.
> How would you like to fix remaining open issues there?

Without understanding the details on which failures, it would be hard
for me comment on how to handle them.

thanks,
--- Shuah

From: Shuah Khan @ 2017-11-21 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

From: shuah @ 2017-11-21 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Shuah Khan @ 2017-11-21 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-11-21 19:30     ` SF Markus Elfring
From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2017-11-21 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shuah, linux-kselftest; +Cc: LKML, kernel-janitors, Shuah Khan

>> Static source code analysis points out that the checking of return values from
>> some function calls is incomplete also in this software area.
>> How would you like to fix remaining open issues there?
>>

> Without understanding the details on which failures,

Are you using any dedicated tools for this purpose already?

> it would be hard for me comment on how to handle them.

I inspected also another specific source file for example.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/tree/tools/testing/selftests/timers/posix_timers.c?id=aa1fbe633d3034f9f838ff13387af04771e68e31#n81
https://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.14-rc8/source/tools/testing/selftests/timers/posix_timers.c#L78

This one contains some places (like in the function “check_itimer”)
where the error detection and corresponding exception handling is incomplete
so far.
Other source files can contain similar update candidates.

There are different design options available to improve the software
situation here.
Which development directions do you prefer?

From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2017-11-21 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1254", Size: 1279 bytes --]

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/tree/tools/testing/selftests/timers/posix_timers.c?idª1fbe633d3034f9f838ff13387af04771e68e31#n81

From: elfring @ 2017-11-21 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: SF Markus Elfring @ 2017-11-21 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)