* batman_v default throughput
@ 2019-08-08 21:05 Moritz Warning
From: Moritz Warning @ 2019-08-08 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi,

the Freifunk network in Ulm has a batman_V network of >80 nodes. [0]

For the map, we use the link throughput value from batman-adv to calculate a link value (capped at 40 MBit/s for 100%).
The default for VPN connections seem to be 1 MBit/s - when batman-adv doesn't know the throughput from the driver.

Is there a way to the set this throughput or can batman-adv measure it?

Thanks!

[0]: https://map11.freifunk-ulm.de/meshviewer

* Re: batman_v default throughput
@ 2019-08-09  8:26 ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2019-08-09  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking,
	Moritz Warning

Hi Moritz,

On 08/08/2019 23:05, Moritz Warning wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Freifunk network in Ulm has a batman_V network of >80 nodes. [0]
>
> For the map, we use the link throughput value from batman-adv to calculate a link value (capped at 40 MBit/s for 100%).
> The default for VPN connections seem to be 1 MBit/s - when batman-adv doesn't know the throughput from the driver.
>
> Is there a way to the set this throughput or can batman-adv measure it?

I think we discussed this topic in all its details (with Marek) during
WMBv10, no?

However, if you need to refresh the concept, you can look at the
function that takes care of selecting the throughput:
batadv_v_elp_get_throughput() in bat_v_elp.c

The function is invoked for each neighbour/link across a given interface
and can be summarized as follows:
- if any throughput_override was set by the user for this iface, just
use this value;
- otherwise, if the iface is wifi, ask the wifi stack for the
expected-throughput (computed by minstrel for ath9k and other SoftMAC
drivers);
- otherwise, ask the ethtool module if there is a known link speed for
this iface;
- otherwise, if none of the above worked, use the default throughput
(1Mbps).

As also mentioned at WBMv10, Marek and I had worked on a patchset that
enables the tp_meter to measure the speed of a link, when no other
throughput is available (i.e. for VPN or other virtual links). The
patchset is still pending here [1].

We suggested you to manifest your interest about that patchset, so that
the discussion could move on, but it seemed you were not motivated
enough (at least back then).

Maybe you could take this chance to revive that thread? :-)

Cheers,

[1]
https://www.mail-archive.com/b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org/msg17833.html

--
Antonio Quartulli

* Re: batman_v default throughput
@ 2019-08-09  8:45   ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2019-08-09  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n; +Cc: Antonio Quartulli, Moritz Warning

On Friday, 9 August 2019 10:26:24 CEST Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> As also mentioned at WBMv10, Marek and I had worked on a patchset that
> enables the tp_meter to measure the speed of a link, when no other
> throughput is available (i.e. for VPN or other virtual links). The
> patchset is still pending here [1].

It isn't pending. All patches of this series [1] are marked as "changes
requested" since almost a year.

The only pending patches are the ones you didn't review yet [2].

Kind regards,
	Sven

[1] https://patchwork.open-mesh.org/project/b.a.t.m.a.n./list/?series=157&submitter=&state=*&q=&archive=both&delegate=
[2] https://patchwork.open-mesh.org/project/b.a.t.m.a.n./list/?series=&submitter=&state=&q=&archive=both&delegate=7

* Re: batman_v default throughput
@ 2019-08-09  8:46     ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2019-08-09  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking,
	Sven Eckelmann

On 09/08/2019 10:45, Sven Eckelmann wrote:
> On Friday, 9 August 2019 10:26:24 CEST Antonio Quartulli wrote:
>> As also mentioned at WBMv10, Marek and I had worked on a patchset that
>> enables the tp_meter to measure the speed of a link, when no other
>> throughput is available (i.e. for VPN or other virtual links). The
>> patchset is still pending here [1].
>
> It isn't pending. All patches of this series [1] are marked as "changes
> requested" since almost a year.

You're right - I used the wrong word.
When I said "pending" I meant that some $work was done, patches are now
idling. Hence my call for "a motivational email" on that thread :)

Thanks for the clarification though!

> The only pending patches are the ones you didn't review yet [2].

oh, thanks for the reminder!

Cheers,

@ 2019-08-11 21:57   ` Moritz Warning
From: Moritz Warning @ 2019-08-11 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Quartulli,
	The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi Antonio.

On 8/9/19 10:26 AM, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> Hi Moritz,
>
> On 08/08/2019 23:05, Moritz Warning wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the Freifunk network in Ulm has a batman_V network of >80 nodes. [0]
>>
>> For the map, we use the link throughput value from batman-adv to calculate a link value (capped at 40 MBit/s for 100%).
>> The default for VPN connections seem to be 1 MBit/s - when batman-adv doesn't know the throughput from the driver.
>>
>> Is there a way to the set this throughput or can batman-adv measure it?
>>

> I think we discussed this topic in all its details (with Marek) during
> WMBv10, no?
Could be. I do not remember what was discussed..

> However, if you need to refresh the concept, you can look at the
> function that takes care of selecting the throughput:
> batadv_v_elp_get_throughput() in bat_v_elp.c
>

> The function is invoked for each neighbour/link across a given interface
> and can be summarized as follows:
> - if any throughput_override was set by the user for this iface, just
> use this value;
> - otherwise, if the iface is wifi, ask the wifi stack for the
> expected-throughput (computed by minstrel for ath9k and other SoftMAC
> drivers);
> - otherwise, ask the ethtool module if there is a known link speed for
> this iface;
> - otherwise, if none of the above worked, use the default throughput
> (1Mbps).
>

> As also mentioned at WBMv10, Marek and I had worked on a patchset that
> enables the tp_meter to measure the speed of a link, when no other
> throughput is available (i.e. for VPN or other virtual links). The
> patchset is still pending here [1].
That might be a nice fallback instead of employing a cranky iperf setup.
But (imho) it should be off/not compiled in by default and maybe only perform the check once, so to not to scare people into thinking batman-adv consumes too much bandwidth for testing.

> We suggested you to manifest your interest about that patchset, so that
> the discussion could move on, but it seemed you were not motivated
> enough (at least back then).
>
> Maybe you could take this chance to revive that thread? :-)
Hm, I do not have that email in my email client anymore.
But it's good to know that there is a patch set that I can apply.