* [...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1
@ 2024-04-28 15:57 Miroslav Skoric
From: Miroslav Skoric @ 2024-04-28 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

Hi,

One of my two machines in the LAN goes into 'endless' repeating of the
following lines when I want to shut it down. (Ok, not really endless but
it does take some half an hour.) That comp runs an older version of ax25
subsystem and on top of it runs FPAC node and FBB mailbox. The issue
happens whenever the *other* machine has some netrom activity such as a
BPQ node/bbs or like.

[...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1
[...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1
[...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1

after some 30 minutes there appear two other lines:

[TIME] Timed out starting Power-Off.
[ !! ] Forcibly powering off: job timed out

and it resumes repeating the above for a while:

[...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1
[...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1

and it finally powers off after a minute or so.

It makes me wonder why it behaves like that. I tested that behaviour
thoroughly (by having the other machine running, or not running some
packet node stuff) and realized that it shuts down properly, without any
delay only when the other machine is not having any packet node active.
(The other comp can be switched on, but without any node/bbs running.)

Any idea?

Misko YT7MPB

* Re: [...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1
@ 2024-04-28 19:57 ` Lars Kellogg-Stedman
From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman @ 2024-04-28 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miroslav Skoric; +Cc: linux-hams

On Sun, Apr 28, 2024 at 05:57:30PM +0200, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> subsystem and on top of it runs FPAC node and FBB mailbox. The issue happens
> whenever the *other* machine has some netrom activity such as a BPQ node/bbs
> or like.
>
> [...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1
> [...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1
> [...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1

That sounds remarkably like the problem I was asking about a few weeks
ago; that threads start with
https://marc.info/?l=linux-hams&m=171271178900331&w=2. I'm curious if
you see any of the kernel traces I reported in your kernel log? That
would help identify the problem.

I just posted a patch that resolves it for me [1], but that patch was
against the current development kernel (6.9.0rc5).

[1]: https://marc.info/?l=linux-hams&m=171417563600765&w=2

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@oddbit.com> | larsks @ {irc,twitter,github}
http://blog.oddbit.com/                | N1LKS

* Re: [...] unregister_netdevice: waiting for ax0 to become free. Usage count = -1
@ 2024-04-28 20:03 ` David Ranch
From: David Ranch @ 2024-04-28 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams; +Cc: Miroslav Skoric

Hello Misko,

This is a kernel bug and has been discussed in the list (see the
archives): http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-hams

    I recently responded with:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-hams/msg05486.html

it seems to me that different kernel versions can hit this issue in
different ways but I can confirm that the Ubuntu 20.04 distro's 5.15.0
kernel hits this issue.  I'm also starting to believe that if
Canonical's kernel "LivePatch" feature is enabled and you have stale
AX.25 connections, the kernel starts to have issues and maybe after
?5-7? days of decay, the machine will eventually hard lock up.  You
won't see the panic output if you're running X as the GUI displays hides
the output.  Btw, it's also becoming painfully obvious that different
Linux distro's version of "their" kernel might or might not be taking on
some of these new kernel "fixes" that break or fix parts of the AX.25
stack.  It's very clear to me, these patches are coming in w/o any real
testing and as long as it passes a visual review and it compiles, it's
committed into the tree.

I've since moved from u20.04 over to a Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm 6.6.20
kernel setup for ~2wks.  So far I haven't seen any similar issues
(except I found a new issue with the axparms tool now corrupting the
callsign+ssid stack).

--David
KI6ZHD

@ 2024-04-29 10:19   ` Miroslav Skoric
From: Miroslav Skoric @ 2024-04-29 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ranch, linux-hams

Thank you, David. I'll check the link.

The machine experiencing the bug is Ubuntu 18.04 (i386 version that
cannot be upgraded to any newer one.) And the kernel is an old one
4.15.0-212-generic #223-Ubuntu SMP.

I suppose that any change will not be possible any time soon because
that machine is not on the Internet, however serves me well for other
purposes.

I just wanted to check if the issue was my fault or not :-)

Misko YT7MPB

@ 2024-04-29 10:22   ` Miroslav Skoric
From: Miroslav Skoric @ 2024-04-29 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kellogg-Stedman; +Cc: linux-hams

Thank you, Lars. I'll check your sites for details. However, my kernel
is rather old so I am unsure whether your approach would work kere.

Misko YT7MPB