* xfs_repair trouble
@ 2008-06-14 16:43 Simon
From: Simon @ 2008-06-14 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Hello all,

I have a corrupted xfs filesystem on top of a RAID 5 (1TB in size).
The RAID is still fully intact but the filesystem was damaged. When
trying to repair the filesystem xfs_repair fails. I have tried various
versions of xfs_repair, the latest stable (2.9.8) and the latest trunk
(from CVS). I'd love to investigate and/or fix the issue further but I
am a bit confused about some of my xfs_repair runs (both done with
trunk).
Could someone shed some light on where the problem could be, I'd be
happy to continue digging if I would only know where roughly

Run 1 ============================================
./xfs_repair -P -m 170 /dev/evms/monster_evms
... more output ...
bad hash table for directory inode 4842 (no data entry): rebuilding
rebuilding directory inode 4842
entry ".." in directory inode 27930072 points to free inode 2013274702
bad hash table for directory inode 27930072 (no data entry): rebuilding
rebuilding directory inode 27930072
bad hash table for directory inode 28776251 (no data entry): rebuilding
rebuilding directory inode 28776251
fixing i8count in inode 29111010
xfs_repair: phase6.c:3411: shortform_dir2_entry_check: Assertion
`bytes_deleted > 0' failed.
Aborted
Exits with an Assert, it would be interesting to know why this Assert
is there and what it means for bytes_deleted to be 0.

Run 2 ============================================
./xfs_repair -P -m 166 /dev/evms/monster_evms
... more output ...
bad hash table for directory inode 2013274673 (no data entry): rebuilding
rebuilding directory inode 2013274673
bad hash table for directory inode 2029477400 (no data entry): rebuilding
rebuilding directory inode 2029477400
bad hash table for directory inode 2037825112 (no data entry): rebuilding
rebuilding directory inode 2037825112

fatal error -- malloc failed in longform_dir2_entry_check (2585598792 bytes)
Exists with an malloc failed, even though I am using the -m option
which I think was created to avoid exactly this scenario. Run 3

Run 3 ============================================
./xfs_repair -P -m 200 /dev/evms/monster_evms
... more output ...
       - agno = 38
       - agno = 39
Phase 5 - rebuild AG headers and trees...
       - reset superblock...
Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
       - resetting contents of realtime bitmap and summary inodes
       - traversing filesystem ...
bad hash table for directory inode 4842 (no data entry): rebuilding
rebuilding directory inode 4842
bad hash table for directory inode 28776251 (no data entry): rebuilding
rebuilding directory inode 28776251
fixing i8count in inode 29111010
corrupt block 0 in directory inode 321685982: junking block
Segmentation fault
Exists with a Seg Fault. I found this one interesting especially since
it happens at the exact same inode as Run 1

All comments appreciated.
Simon

* Re: xfs_repair trouble
@ 2008-06-16  4:47 ` Barry Naujok
From: Barry Naujok @ 2008-06-16  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon, xfs

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 02:43:12 +1000, Simon <simonjj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I have a corrupted xfs filesystem on top of a RAID 5 (1TB in size).
> The RAID is still fully intact but the filesystem was damaged. When
> trying to repair the filesystem xfs_repair fails. I have tried various
> versions of xfs_repair, the latest stable (2.9.8) and the latest trunk
> (from CVS). I'd love to investigate and/or fix the issue further but I
> am a bit confused about some of my xfs_repair runs (both done with
> trunk).
> Could someone shed some light on where the problem could be, I'd be
> happy to continue digging if I would only know where roughly

Are you able to generate an xfs_metadump? If you can make that available,
I should be able to find out the problem pretty easily.

Regards,
Barry.

* Re: xfs_repair trouble
@ 2008-06-20  2:45   ` Simon Jakesch
From: Simon Jakesch @ 2008-06-20  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs; +Cc: Barry Naujok

Running xfs_metadump.sh will give me output below. Does all this mean
it's best to think about alternatives to fixing/recovering these
files?

root@redlace:~/xfsprogs-trunk/xfs-cmds/xfsprogs/db# ./xfs_metadump.sh
-g /dev/evms/monster_evms monster.dump
Copied 320 of 112448 inodes (0 of 0 AGs)                   xfs_db:
metadump.c:465: generate_obfuscated_name: Assertion
`libxfs_da_hashname(newname, namelen) == hash' failed.
./xfs_metadump.sh: line 31: 17542 Aborted
xfs_db$DBOPTS -i -p xfs_metadump -c "metadump$OPTS $2" $1

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Barry Naujok <bnaujok@sgi.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 02:43:12 +1000, Simon <simonjj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>

>> I have a corrupted xfs filesystem on top of a RAID 5 (1TB in size).
>> The RAID is still fully intact but the filesystem was damaged. When
>> trying to repair the filesystem xfs_repair fails. I have tried various
>> versions of xfs_repair, the latest stable (2.9.8) and the latest trunk
>> (from CVS). I'd love to investigate and/or fix the issue further but I
>> am a bit confused about some of my xfs_repair runs (both done with
>> trunk).
>> Could someone shed some light on where the problem could be, I'd be
>> happy to continue digging if I would only know where roughly
>
> Are you able to generate an xfs_metadump? If you can make that available,
> I should be able to find out the problem pretty easily.
>
> Regards,
> Barry.

* Re: xfs_repair trouble
@ 2008-06-20  2:46   ` Simon
From: Simon @ 2008-06-20  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs; +Cc: Barry Naujok

Running xfs_metadump.sh will give me output below. Does all this mean
it's best to think about alternatives to fixing/recovering these
files?

root@redlace:~/xfsprogs-trunk/xfs-cmds/xfsprogs/db# ./xfs_metadump.sh
-g /dev/evms/monster_evms monster.dump
Copied 320 of 112448 inodes (0 of 0 AGs)                   xfs_db:
metadump.c:465: generate_obfuscated_name: Assertion
`libxfs_da_hashname(newname, namelen) == hash' failed.
./xfs_metadump.sh: line 31: 17542 Aborted
xfs_db$DBOPTS -i -p xfs_metadump -c "metadump$OPTS $2" $1

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Barry Naujok <bnaujok@sgi.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 02:43:12 +1000, Simon <simonjj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>

>> I have a corrupted xfs filesystem on top of a RAID 5 (1TB in size).
>> The RAID is still fully intact but the filesystem was damaged. When
>> trying to repair the filesystem xfs_repair fails. I have tried various
>> versions of xfs_repair, the latest stable (2.9.8) and the latest trunk
>> (from CVS). I'd love to investigate and/or fix the issue further but I
>> am a bit confused about some of my xfs_repair runs (both done with
>> trunk).
>> Could someone shed some light on where the problem could be, I'd be
>> happy to continue digging if I would only know where roughly
>
> Are you able to generate an xfs_metadump? If you can make that available,
> I should be able to find out the problem pretty easily.
>
> Regards,
> Barry.

* xfs_repair trouble
@ 2008-06-14 16:56 Simon J

[...]