* How to submit code changes for Xen?
@ 2009-09-16  7:01 Yi, Shunli
From: Yi, Shunli @ 2009-09-16  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Guys:
Could anybody tell me how to submit code changes for Xen?

And, is there any way to know whether and when the code change will be integrated(accepted)

Shunli Yi

 Protected by Websense Hosted Email Security -- www.websense.com

* Re: How to submit code changes for Xen?
@ 2009-09-16  7:06 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2009-09-16  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yi, Shunli; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:01:30AM -0700, Yi, Shunli wrote:
> Guys:
> Could anybody tell me how to submit code changes for Xen?
>
> And, is there any way to know whether and when the code change will be integrated(accepted)

Just send the patch to xen-devel and most probably people will comment
about it, or merge it.

-- Pasi

* RE: How to submit code changes for Xen?
@ 2009-09-16  7:36   ` Yi, Shunli
From: Yi, Shunli @ 2009-09-16  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel

Thanks, I did.
But, it's a little strange that I got nothing reply, I don't know whether my code is feasible and acceptable.
I have to forget it after send out the patch, maybe it didn't reached at all.

Is there a track system for all patches ?

SHUNLI YI

ESSENTIAL INFORMATION PROTECTION

@ 2009-09-16  8:17     ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2009-09-16  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yi, Shunli, Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel

Oh, was yours the patch against Xen 3.3? That branch isn't actively
maintained any more. We really only directly accept patches against
xen-unstable.

 -- Keir

@ 2009-09-16  8:35       ` Yi, Shunli
From: Yi, Shunli @ 2009-09-16  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser, Pasi Kärkkäinen; +Cc: xen-devel

Well, I will try again and send out the patch against the xen-unstable .
But it's realy better if there is a system to track all the patches ( just like bugzilla.redhat.com).

@ 2009-09-16  9:59         ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2009-09-16  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yi, Shunli; +Cc: xen-devel, Keir Fraser, Stephen Spector

I believe the accepted protocol is to re-send the patch after 2-4
weeks, with a comment to the effect that you didn't get a response
last time; perhaps with the [RESEND] in the subject line, to alert
people that the last mail was dropped?

Obviously it would be nice if everyone got a comment the first time,
but that's not always possible.  This method may seem a little less
friendly, but in fact it has several positive attributes:
* It distributes the responsibility of keeping track of patches,
rather than having a centralized location
* It naturally filters out low-interest patches.  If neither the
submitter nor others on the list find it interesting, they naturally
get dropped instead of piling up in a queue somewhere; whereas, if the
submitter considers it interesting and important, he will persist
until he gets a response.

The main difficulty is letting new people know the policy: don't take
it hard if you don't get a response, just re-send after a few weeks.

Stephen, is there a "xen-devel guidelines" page up anywhere?  It might
be have something we can point people to, or that Google would turn up
if someone searched for "submitting patches to Xen"...

 -George

@ 2009-09-16 12:59           ` Stephen Spector
From: Stephen Spector @ 2009-09-16 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap, Yi, Shunli; +Cc: xen-devel, Keir Fraser