* Re:  OpenBMC : KVM over IP and media redirection function
@ 2020-04-09  9:24 Tiger Liu(BJ-RD)
From: Tiger Liu(BJ-RD) @ 2020-04-09  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chunhui.jia, openbmc

Hi, Chunhui:
Thanks for your reply.

I am studying OCP(Open Computer Platform) server board doc and OpenBMC doc.
I am just curious whether OCP server board also needs an add-on RMM component to support KVM/Media redirection.

So, OpenBMC’s current code has implemented KVM over IP.
So, OpenBMC would support KVM/Media redirection function without adding add-on some RMM like component?

Thanks
From: Johnathan Mantey @ 2020-04-09 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tiger Liu(BJ-RD), chunhui.jia, openbmc

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3665 bytes --]

Liu,

RMM is a HW licensing device, and was, if I recall, eliminated in the
last generation of Intel servers (i.e. S2600WF, S2600BNP, S2600SWP).
OpenBMC provides you all of the source, so any control over SW features
like KVM (assuming the KVM source is open), by HW components being
present can be compiled out of your implementation.
I have a hard time believing the OPC would willingly add a HW device for
enabling/disabling SW functionality. Seems a bit counter to the spirit
of the projects philosophy to me.

--
Johnathan Mantey
Senior Software Engineer

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 17892 bytes --]

* Re:  Re: OpenBMC : KVM over IP and media redirection function
@ 2020-04-10  0:07   ` chunhui.jia
From: chunhui.jia @ 2020-04-10  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnathan Mantey, Tiger Liu(BJ-RD), openbmc

Johnathan,

S2600WF etc still has RMM enabled but openbmc implementation does not depend on RMM module.

Tiger,

The OCP platform does not have RMM.  There is nothing preventing you from enabling KVM/Remote Media.

2020-04-10

chunhui.jia

@ 2020-04-10  3:55 Tiger Liu(BJ-RD)
From: Tiger Liu(BJ-RD) @ 2020-04-10  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnathan Mantey, chunhui.jia, openbmc

Hi, Johnathan:
Got it.

Thanks

1. yes, it can implement the functionality with this combination
2. What platform are you using?

2020-04-09
________________________________
chunhui.jia
________________________________

@ 2020-04-10  3:54 Tiger Liu(BJ-RD)
From: Tiger Liu(BJ-RD) @ 2020-04-10  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery, openbmc, Eddie James

Hi, Andrew:
Thanks for your reply!

I am studying BMC knowledge based on openbmc project.

Thanks

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020, at 17:26, Tiger Liu(BJ-RD) wrote:

> Hi, experts:
>
> I have a question about KVM over IP and media redirection function.
>
> Intel provided a RMM lite component, which provided KVM/Media
> redirection capability.
>

> So my question is:
>
> 1. OpenBMC + AST2500 Chip, could not implement KVM/Media redirection capability?

Do you have more specific questions? Are you porting OpenBMC to a platform you've developed, or are you just trying to use a system that has a BMC implementation base on OpenBMC?

Regardless, I've added Eddie in To: as he implemented the KVM support. If you are trying to support KVM on a platform you're developing then he can likely offer you some advice.

> 2. If wanting to use KVM/Media redirection ,must buy a RMM component?

OpenBMC has no concept of an RMM component.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

@ 2020-04-10  2:40 ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2020-04-10  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)