* [BUG] video: fbdev: sis: possible uninitialized-variable access in SiS_SetCRT2FIFO_300()
@ 2021-07-31  6:28 Li Tuo
From: Li Tuo @ 2021-07-31  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas; +Cc: dri-devel, linux-fbdev, linux-kernel, baijiaju1990

Hello,

Our static analysis tool finds a possible uninitialized-variable access
in the sis driver in Linux 5.14.0-rc3:

At the beginning of the function SiS_SetCRT2FIFO_300(), the variable
modeidindex is not initialized.
If the following conditions are false, it remains uninitialized.
5346:    if(!SiS_Pr->CRT1UsesCustomMode)
5438:    if(!SiS_Pr->UseCustomMode)

But it is accessed at:
5466:    colorth = SiS_GetColorDepth(SiS_Pr,CRT2ModeNo,modeidindex) >> 1;

I am not quite sure whether this possible uninitialized-variable access
is real and how to fix it if it is real.
Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Reported-by: TOTE Robot <oslab@tsinghua.edu.cn>

Best wishes,
Tuo Li

* Re: [BUG] video: fbdev: sis: possible uninitialized-variable access in SiS_SetCRT2FIFO_300()
@ 2021-08-01 17:59 ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2021-08-01 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Li Tuo; +Cc: thomas, dri-devel, linux-fbdev, linux-kernel, baijiaju1990

Hi Tuo Li,

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 02:28:39PM +0800, Li Tuo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our static analysis tool finds a possible uninitialized-variable access in
> the sis driver in Linux 5.14.0-rc3:
>
> At the beginning of the function SiS_SetCRT2FIFO_300(), the variable
> modeidindex is not initialized.
> If the following conditions are false, it remains uninitialized.
> 5346:    if(!SiS_Pr->CRT1UsesCustomMode)
> 5438:    if(!SiS_Pr->UseCustomMode)
>
> But it is accessed at:
> 5466:    colorth = SiS_GetColorDepth(SiS_Pr,CRT2ModeNo,modeidindex) >> 1;
>
> I am not quite sure whether this possible uninitialized-variable access is
> real and how to fix it if it is real.
> Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

First, the report looks correct. There is a path where modeindex may not
be initilized.
But I find it very hard to care for such an ancient driver.
If this was somethign we hit is real life we had heard about it - and
the risk of introducing bugs is higher than the the cance that this
fixes a real life bug.

So my advice, find something more relevant to look at.

	Sam

* Re: [BUG] video: fbdev: sis: possible uninitialized-variable access in SiS_SetCRT2FIFO_300()
@ 2021-08-02  2:39   ` Li Tuo
From: Li Tuo @ 2021-08-02  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg; +Cc: thomas, dri-devel, linux-fbdev, linux-kernel, baijiaju1990