* how to customize kernel command line in a kas-docker project?
@ 2020-05-05 18:25 Meng, Fino
From: Meng, Fino @ 2020-05-05 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

hi team,

These days I am working on https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images which use kas-docker,
I need to customize kernel command line for my build.  The 2 ways I found now:

1) directly modify wic/x86-64-efi.wks, update following line:
bootloader --ptable gpt --timeout=5 --append "rw rootwait console=ttyS0,115200"

2) add config files for a new board: board-xxx.yml, conf/machine/xxx.conf, wic/xxx.wks;
then add my own kernel cmdline in xxx.wks;

is it possible to achieve this task in a non-intrusive way, without adding new board?
add new cmdline in a new file and override the original,
same working mechanism as  "PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-xenomai" ?

BR / Fino (孟祥夫)
Intel – IOTG Developer Enabling

* Re: how to customize kernel command line in a kas-docker project?
@ 2020-05-05 19:25 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-05-05 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meng, Fino, xenomai

On 05.05.20 20:25, Meng, Fino via Xenomai wrote:
> hi team,
>
> These days I am working on https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images which use kas-docker,
> I need to customize kernel command line for my build.  The 2 ways I found now:
>
> 1) directly modify wic/x86-64-efi.wks, update following line:
> bootloader --ptable gpt --timeout=5 --append "rw rootwait console=ttyS0,115200"
>
> 2) add config files for a new board: board-xxx.yml, conf/machine/xxx.conf, wic/xxx.wks;
> then add my own kernel cmdline in xxx.wks;
>
> is it possible to achieve this task in a non-intrusive way, without adding new board?
> add new cmdline in a new file and override the original,
> same working mechanism as  "PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-xenomai" ?

Many options are available, e.g.

  - overwrite WKS_FILE to point to your own version, even only for the
    target in question (WKS_FILE_x86-64-efi = "...")

  - give your own layer a higher prio and provide an own version of the
    wks file under the same name

  - introduce a template for the wks file (x86-64-efi.wks.in), add a
    variable for the command line param and maintain that var also in
    your layer

  - ...

It's basically what bitbake allows you to do, plus in this case some
specifics of the wic integration into Isar (templating - though I think
that OE provides the same).

Jan