* Custom YOCTO meta-layer building on Ubuntu 20 but Not in Ubuntu 18.Why? #dunfell #yocto #dunfell
@ 2022-07-21 11:03 sethu.m
From: sethu.m @ 2022-07-21 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

We are making a Custom BSP Package for our Board using the YOCTO. I encountered with a problem during the build of Yocto image in Ubuntu 18.04. But the Same image successfully got built in the Ubuntu 20 Machine.

Iam able to build poky in Ubuntu 18.04 machine by removing custom layers.But adding custom layers the above problem arises.

And the errors which are coming is from the meta layer inside poky for the gcc9.3 package.

Is there anything to be taken care for making custom layer independent on Ubuntu versions. As i just started YOCTO(dunfell) few weeks before, I am a noob in YOCTO . Please help on the above issue

* Re: [yocto] Custom YOCTO meta-layer building on Ubuntu 20 but Not in Ubuntu 18.Why? #dunfell #yocto #dunfell
@ 2022-07-21 15:19 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-07-21 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sethu.m, yocto

On 7/21/22 7:03 AM, sethu.m@calixto.co.in wrote:
> We are making a Custom BSP Package for our Board using the YOCTO. I
> encountered with a problem during the build of Yocto image in Ubuntu
> 18.04. But the Same image successfully got built in the Ubuntu 20 Machine.
>
> Iam able to build poky in Ubuntu 18.04 machine by removing custom
> layers.But adding custom layers the above problem arises.

there seems to be something in the interaction between core layer with
your custom layers, Usually issues of this nature are solved in the
custom layers. Since its not a community layer, its not easy for someone
from community to help you unless there are more details on nature of
error or the content of custom layer.

> And the errors which are coming is from the meta layer inside poky for
> the gcc9.3 package.
>
> Is there anything to be taken care for making custom layer independent
> on Ubuntu versions. As i just started YOCTO(dunfell) few weeks before, I
> am a noob in YOCTO . Please help on the above issue

* Re: Custom YOCTO meta-layer building on Ubuntu 20 but Not in Ubuntu 18.Why? #dunfell #yocto
@ 2022-07-22 13:27   ` sethu.m
From: sethu.m @ 2022-07-22 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Actually that was a problem with broken gcc package . It resolved when i cleaned the gcc and rebuilt the image.

Another Problem iam facing is we have actually 2 machine configurations , Same kernel but different defconfig and dts files. For one machine config build iam getting the root login but for another machine iam not getting the root login after boot. Where should i look in to for resolving this issue???

* Re: [yocto] Custom YOCTO meta-layer building on Ubuntu 20 but Not in Ubuntu 18.Why? #dunfell #yocto
@ 2022-07-22 14:58     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-07-22 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 9:28 AM <sethu.m@calixto.co.in> wrote:

> Actually that was a problem with broken gcc package . It resolved when i cleaned the gcc and rebuilt the image.
>
> Another Problem iam facing is we have actually 2 machine configurations , Same kernel but different defconfig and dts files. For one machine config build iam getting the root login but for another machine iam not getting the root login after boot. Where should i look in to for resolving this issue???

Look at the serial console logs from kernel and perhaps with early
printk enabled. Many things could go wrong when serial console does
not show up. Your description of the problem is ambiguous to see what
might be happening.