* ioprio_get(2) outdated
@ 2021-05-20 10:30 Tycho Kirchner
From: Tycho Kirchner @ 2021-05-20 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-man

Hi,
please update ioprio_get(2) to the today more common Multi-Queue Block
IO Queueing Mechanism (blk-mq). In particular:

> These system calls have an effect only when used in conjunction
> with an I/O scheduler that supports I/O priorities.  As at kernel
> 2.6.17 the only such scheduler is the Completely Fair Queuing
> (CFQ) I/O scheduler.

As far as I know BFQ is the only mq-iosched which supports (read-)
priorities. See also [1]. The kernel Documentation/block/ioprio.txt is
outdated as well, I guess I'll send an email there too.

Thanks and kind regards
Tycho Kirchner

[1]: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/block/bfq-iosched.html

* Re: ioprio_get(2) outdated
@ 2021-05-21 11:07 ` Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) @ 2021-05-21 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tycho Kirchner; +Cc: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages), linux-man

Hi Tycho,

On 5/20/21 12:30 PM, Tycho Kirchner wrote:
> Hi,
> please update ioprio_get(2) to the today more common Multi-Queue Block
> IO Queueing Mechanism (blk-mq). In particular:
>
>> These system calls have an effect only when used in conjunction
>> with an I/O scheduler that supports I/O priorities.  As at kernel
>> 2.6.17 the only such scheduler is the Completely Fair Queuing
>> (CFQ) I/O scheduler.
>
> As far as I know BFQ is the only mq-iosched which supports (read-)
> priorities. See also [1]. The kernel Documentation/block/ioprio.txt is
> outdated as well, I guess I'll send an email there too.
>
> Thanks and kind regards
> Tycho Kirchner

Okay, I don't know much about it, so I'll CC Michael.

Thanks,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar