* success report (mostly)
@ 2007-02-17 16:32 Francesc Romà i Frigolé
       [not found] ` <e27b5de50702170832m508516c2wdded0f0395fadc0a-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Francesc Romà i Frigolé @ 2007-02-17 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hello,

I'm happy to report that KVM-13 compiled, installed and run properly on a
gentoo system with kernel 2.6.19-gentoo-r5. I was able to install and run
windows XP pro and MS office 2007.

Thank you very much to all people involved. This is a very nice addition to
the Free Software ecosystem.

Notes:
1) please mention in your HOWTO that the -m 384 parameter to qemu will make
qemu allocate 384 MB of RAM, and should be used only in computers with 1GB
or more of memory, otherwise advise to use more conservative amounts like -m
128 or -m 192. I almost killed my poor laptop with -m 384 (it has 512 MB)

2) I'm looking forward for qemu to have better USB support. I was hopping to
be able to use a certain USB phone, but alas, qemu complains that "usb_host:
only one interface supported". I applied this
patch<http://gnome.dnsalias.net/patches/qemu-multi-configs.diff>as
suggested by the
qemu faq<http://www.kidsquid.com/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-8cc9deb99b77a0ba01f14e03e89d6cd6017b26b7>,
which solved the problem of recognizing the USB device, and several
components of the USB device (namely HID and LCD) actually worked, although
very slowly. However, the audio device component is still not working, and
the guest OS isn't informed when the device is unplugged.

3) I was forced to upgrade the bios of my Lenovo IBM X60s laptop to be able
to use KVM. I'd like to warn others in the same position that after the
upgrade I can't dim the LCD backlight anymore in linux. Surprisingly the
fn+brightness keys still work during the boot sequence, including during the
boot manager prompt, but once the linux kernel is started they stop working.
I'd greatly appreciate if somebody would tell me how to fix this problem,
other than downgrading the bios.

Please reply to me directly as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Francesc

* Re: success report (mostly)
       [not found] ` <e27b5de50702170832m508516c2wdded0f0395fadc0a-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-02-18 10:31   ` Avi Kivity
       [not found]     ` <45D82AF3.7080408-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-02-18 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesc Romà i Frigolé
  Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Francesc Romà i Frigolé wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm happy to report that KVM-13 compiled, installed and run properly
> on a gentoo system with kernel 2.6.19-gentoo-r5. I was able to install
> and run windows XP pro and MS office 2007.
>
> Thank you very much to all people involved. This is a very nice
> addition to the Free Software ecosystem.
>
> Notes:
> 1) please mention in your HOWTO that the -m 384 parameter to qemu will
> make qemu allocate 384 MB of RAM, and should be used only in computers
> with 1GB or more of memory, otherwise advise to use more conservative
> amounts like -m 128 or -m 192. I almost killed my poor laptop with -m
> 384 (it has 512 MB)

The HOWTO is on a wiki, so it can be changed by anyone.  Feel free to
add any text you feel is helpful.

Thank you for the report.

* Re: success report (mostly)
       [not found]     ` <45D82AF3.7080408-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>