* RFC: Remote Off-Channel CAC for DFS
@ 2020-06-29 17:40 Markus Theil
From: Markus Theil @ 2020-06-29 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

When using DFS channels, it would be nice, if I could dedicate a small
amount of interfaces only to CAC checking channels and set them
available or unavailable on multiple other remote APs/Mesh Points in
order to use them, when switching to lower utilized channels without
going through a full CAC.

Whats the opinion on the mailing list about adding a new command to
nl80211 in order to set the DFS state of a currently not used channel
after a Off-Channel CAC on another device nearby, but not on the same
host? The parameters would roughly be the same as for a channel switch
and an additional DFS channel state. Internally, I would trigger the DFS
state sync code between multiple interfaces.

Please note, that a malicious user, can misuse this and circumvent the
initial CAC, but this possibility is always there by patching the kernel
and all distribution kernels I'm aware off, are compiled without DFS
support configured. Therefore a malicious user has already put in some
energy and knows what he has to do. In my opinion this is therefore
negligible.

Regards,
Markus