* [cip-dev] Kernel maintenance weekly meeting through IRC
@ 2018-04-03  9:01 Agustín Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustín Benito Bethencourt @ 2018-04-03  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Dear colleagues at Moxa,

what about having the agreed weekly IRC meeting on Thursdays at 10 BST (UTC
+1), which is 11 CEST (UTC+2) and 17:00 CST (UTC+8) , in the #cip channel at
freenode ?

Best Regards
--
Agust?n Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant

* [cip-dev] Kernel maintenance weekly meeting through IRC
@ 2018-04-11 17:43 ` SZ Lin (林上智)
From: SZ Lin (林上智) @ 2018-04-11 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Agustin,

I've organized the current member candidates and preferred subsystem in below

Member candidates/ subsystem
Tzongyen/ RT preempt/ xenomai
Gavin/ Networking
Vidda/ Wireless networking
Taiyi/ Storage
Harry/ Linux Security Modules (LSM)
SZ/ Cellular
Wes/ Ethernet driver

We have learned maintenance policy of LTS;therefore, I think the next
step is to discuss how to start hands-on tasks.

Here is the proposed agenda for the meeting:

1. CIP kernel maintenance team working flow
e.g., by subsystem driven.

2. Hands-on tasks for team member

Any suggestions are welcome.

SZ

@ 2018-04-16 11:06   ` SZ Lin (林上智)
From: SZ Lin (林上智) @ 2018-04-16 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Ben,

The following questions are which we want to know, please feel free to
discuss with us.

1. CIP kernel maintenance team working model

Do you have any suggested working model for CIP kernel maintenance team ?
e.g., Debian kernel team (CPU architecture based) or upstream kernel
(subsystem based)

2. Hands-on tasks for team member

We can start to review changes on the LTS branch; however, we would
like to know if you have any preferred collaboration model for
reviewing the results from team member.

SZ

@ 2018-04-16 11:54   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2018-04-16 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi SZ,

On 2018-04-11 19:43, SZ Lin (???) wrote:
> Hi Agustin,
>
> I've organized the current member candidates and preferred subsystem in below
>
> Member candidates/ subsystem
> Tzongyen/ RT preempt/ xenomai
> Gavin/ Networking
> Vidda/ Wireless networking
> Taiyi/ Storage
> Harry/ Linux Security Modules (LSM)
> SZ/ Cellular
> Wes/ Ethernet driver

Great to learn about so many new CIP hackers!

If the interest in Xenomai (which isn't part of the CIP effort so far)
is aiming at LTS maintenance as well, feel free to follow up on that
topic separately. Obviously, there is strong interest on Siemens side in
this as well.

Jan

> We have learned maintenance policy of LTS;therefore, I think the next
> step is to discuss how to start hands-on tasks.
>
> Here is the proposed agenda for the meeting:
>
> 1. CIP kernel maintenance team working flow
> e.g., by subsystem driven.
>
> 2. Hands-on tasks for team member
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> SZ

> <agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk>:
>>
>> Dear colleagues at Moxa,
>>
>> what about having the agreed weekly IRC meeting on Thursdays at 10 BST (UTC
>> +1), which is 11 CEST (UTC+2) and 17:00 CST (UTC+8) , in the #cip channel at
>> freenode ?
>>

>> Best Regards
>> --
>> Agust?n Benito Bethencourt
>> Principal Consultant
>> Codethink Ltd

Siemens AG
Corporate Technology
CT RDA IOT SES-DE
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 Muenchen
Tel.: +49 89 636-634006
Fax: +49 89 636-33045
mailto:jan.kiszka at siemens.com

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Jim
Hagemann Snabe; Managing Board: Joe Kaeser, Chairman, President and
Chief Executive Officer; Roland Busch, Lisa Davis, Klaus Helmrich,
Janina Kugel, Cedrik Neike, Michael Sen, Ralf P. Thomas; Registered
offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries: Berlin
Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322

* [cip-dev] Kernel maintenance weekly meeting through IRC
@ 2018-04-18 14:52     ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2018-04-18 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Mon, 2018-04-16 at 19:06 +0800, SZ Lin (???) wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> The following questions are which we want to know, please feel free to
> discuss with us.
>
> 1. CIP kernel maintenance team working model
>
> Do you have any suggested working model for CIP kernel maintenance team ?
> e.g., Debian kernel team (CPU architecture based) or upstream kernel
> (subsystem based)

I think this would depend on how many developers would be working on it
(from all CIP members) and how much time they can devote.

> 2. Hands-on tasks for team member
>
> We can start to review changes on the LTS branch; however, we would
> like to know if you have any preferred collaboration model for
> reviewing the results from team member.

I think that developers who are used to doing public review of patches
should do that directly on the stable mailing list.  If you have
developers that don't have that experience, but want to start, then
they should initially send their review responses to an experienced
colleague or to me.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

* [cip-dev] Kernel maintenance weekly meeting through IRC
@ 2018-04-18 14:58       ` Agustín Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustín Benito Bethencourt @ 2018-04-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Ben,

On Wednesday, 18 April 2018 16:52:16 CEST Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-04-16 at 19:06 +0800, SZ Lin (???) wrote:
> > Hi Ben,
> >
> > The following questions are which we want to know, please feel free to
> > discuss with us.
> >
> > 1. CIP kernel maintenance team working model
> >
> > Do you have any suggested working model for CIP kernel maintenance team ?
> > e.g., Debian kernel team (CPU architecture based) or upstream kernel
> > (subsystem based)
>
> I think this would depend on how many developers would be working on it
> (from all CIP members) and how much time they can devote.
>
> > 2. Hands-on tasks for team member
> >
> > We can start to review changes on the LTS branch; however, we would
> > like to know if you have any preferred collaboration model for
> > reviewing the results from team member.
>
> I think that developers who are used to doing public review of patches
> should do that directly on the stable mailing list.  If you have
> developers that don't have that experience, but want to start, then
> they should initially send their review responses to an experienced
> colleague or to me.

In case the Moxa developers prefer you to mentor them for some time, should
they be looking into patches selected by them or do you have in mind some they
should start looking at?

--
Agust?n Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant

* [cip-dev] Kernel maintenance weekly meeting through IRC
@ 2018-04-18 15:32         ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2018-04-18 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Wed, 2018-04-18 at 16:58 +0200, Agust?n Benito Bethencourt wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> On Wednesday, 18 April 2018 16:52:16 CEST Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Mon, 2018-04-16 at 19:06 +0800, SZ Lin (???) wrote:
> > > Hi Ben,
> > >
> > > The following questions are which we want to know, please feel free to
> > > discuss with us.
> > >
> > > 1. CIP kernel maintenance team working model
> > >
> > > Do you have any suggested working model for CIP kernel maintenance team ?
> > > e.g., Debian kernel team (CPU architecture based) or upstream kernel
> > > (subsystem based)
> >
> > I think this would depend on how many developers would be working on it
> > (from all CIP members) and how much time they can devote.
> >
> > > 2. Hands-on tasks for team member
> > >
> > > We can start to review changes on the LTS branch; however, we would
> > > like to know if you have any preferred collaboration model for
> > > reviewing the results from team member.
> >
> > I think that developers who are used to doing public review of patches
> > should do that directly on the stable mailing list.??If you have
> > developers that don't have that experience, but want to start, then
> > they should initially send their review responses to an experienced
> > colleague or to me.
>
> In case the Moxa developers prefer you to mentor them for some time, should?
> they be looking into patches selected by them or do you have in mind some they?
> should start looking at?

I suggest looking at the most recent series sent out for review
(4.4.128).  I can send this as a mailbox file for those who weren't
already susbcribed to the stable list.

Ben.