* Make psplash wait for the framebuffer to be ready
       [not found] ` <1b153bce-a66a-45ee-a5c6-963ea6fb1c82.0d2bd5fa-15cc-4b27-b94e-83614f9e5b38.1195c9bc-3466-43ac-9600-56e4081b21e6@emailsignatures365.codetwo.com>
@ 2022-05-23 12:12   ` Mike Looijmans
       [not found]   ` <16F1BAD0BACA2F83.18186@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2022-05-23 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

psplash doesn't work on my system because systemd attempts to start it
at 1.6 seconds into boot, while the fb device is created 1.9 seconds
after booting.

This results in:

[FAILED] Failed to start Start psplash boot splash screen.

I figure I'm not the first and only person in the world to encounter
this issue...

I'm digging into udev and systemd options to properly make it wait. As
suggested on the net, it should be possible using an udev rule like:

SUBSYSTEM=="graphics", KERNEL=="fb0", TAG+="systemd"

And then add the following to psplash-start.service:

After=dev-fb0.device

I also tried this variant, as reported by systemctl list-units:

After=sys-devices-platform-gpu-graphics-fb0.device

However, neither has any effect whatsoever, the service still tries to
start too early and fails. The "After=" apparently is ignored or so?

-- Mike Looijmans

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Embedded Products B.V.
Materiaalweg 4, 5681 RJ Best
The Netherlands

T: +31 (0) 499 33 69 69
E: mike.looijmans@topicproducts.com
W: www.topic.nl

* Re: [yocto] Make psplash wait for the framebuffer to be ready
       [not found]   ` <16F1BAD0BACA2F83.18186@lists.yoctoproject.org>
@ 2022-05-23 12:29     ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2022-05-23 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Ah, just writing to the list appeared to have helped. For the dependency
to work, you need both a "Requires" and an "After" directive, i.e.

[unit]
Requires=sys-devices-platform-gpu-graphics-fb0.device
After=sys-devices-platform-gpu-graphics-fb0.device

And with that change, it works. The splash appears as soon as the device
registers.

On 23-05-2022 14:12, Mike Looijmans via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
> psplash doesn't work on my system because systemd attempts to start it
> at 1.6 seconds into boot, while the fb device is created 1.9 seconds
> after booting.
>
> This results in:
>
> [FAILED] Failed to start Start psplash boot splash screen.
>

> I figure I'm not the first and only person in the world to encounter
> this issue...
>

> I'm digging into udev and systemd options to properly make it wait. As
> suggested on the net, it should be possible using an udev rule like:
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="graphics", KERNEL=="fb0", TAG+="systemd"
>

> And then add the following to psplash-start.service:
>
> After=dev-fb0.device
>
> I also tried this variant, as reported by systemctl list-units:
>
> After=sys-devices-platform-gpu-graphics-fb0.device
>

> However, neither has any effect whatsoever, the service still tries to
> start too early and fails. The "After=" apparently is ignored or so?
>

> -- Mike Looijmans
>
> Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,
>
> Mike Looijmans
> System Expert