* Builing Gcc fails Poky
@ 2022-09-27 16:11 PHIL
From: PHIL @ 2022-09-27 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Greetings,
Trying to build core-image-weston from current master fails for gcc 12.2.0-r0 with lots of linker errors.

Names of missing functions are strange ala gen_cmulvnx16qi3.
In insn-output.o

System is an ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS Build Target is qemuarm64

Any idea?

Regards

* Re: [yocto] Builing Gcc fails Poky
@ 2022-09-27 18:40 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2022-09-27 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edgar Mobile, yocto

On Tue, 2022-09-27 at 18:11 +0200, Edgar Mobile wrote:
> Greetings,
> Trying to build core-image-weston from current master fails for gcc
> 12.2.0-r0 with lots of linker errors.
>
> Names of missing functions are strange ala gen_cmulvnx16qi3.
> In insn-output.o
>
> System is an ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS Build Target is qemuarm64

We build that regularly on the autobuilder so something seems odd here.
Could your machine have memory issues? Do you get the same issue each
time you build?

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [yocto] Builing Gcc fails Poky
@ 2022-09-27 18:51   ` PHIL
From: PHIL @ 2022-09-27 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie, yocto

What do you mean with memory issues? Memory broken? Not enough memory? The errors are the same on every run of course I don't build from scratch I just retype bitbake core-image-weston. Gdb also failed so I took that out.

@ 2022-09-27 19:02     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2022-09-27 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PHIL, yocto

On Tue, 2022-09-27 at 20:51 +0200, PHIL wrote:
> Am 27. September 2022 20:40:31 MESZ schrieb Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org>:
> > On Tue, 2022-09-27 at 18:11 +0200, Edgar Mobile wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > > Trying to build core-image-weston from current master fails for
> > > gcc
> > > 12.2.0-r0 with lots of linker errors.
> > >
> > > Names of missing functions are strange ala gen_cmulvnx16qi3.
> > > In insn-output.o
> > >
> > > System is an ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS Build Target is qemuarm64
> > >

> > We build that regularly on the autobuilder so something seems odd
> > here.
> > Could your machine have memory issues? Do you get the same issue
> > each
> > time you build?
>
> What do you mean with memory issues? Memory broken? Not enough
> memory? The errors are the same on every run of course I don't build
> from scratch I just retype bitbake core-image-weston. Gdb also failed
> so I took that out.

I mean that the build system places more stress on the system than many
other workloads and we've sometimes see gcc failures like this as a
sign of failing system memory. Running memtest86 might show that up.

If recipe X is failing and you "bitbake X -c clean" and then "bitbake
X" and it doesn't fail the same way, that would be a sure sign of
memory failure or another hardware issue.

You can see here:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/workers

we have Ubuntu 22.04 workers in the autobuilder and we build qemuarm64
here:

https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/42
https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/131
https://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/typhoon/#/builders/127

so this combination is well tested which is why I suspect something
else is wrong.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: [yocto] Builing Gcc fails Poky
@ 2022-09-27 22:40       ` PHIL
From: PHIL @ 2022-09-27 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie, yocto

Yeah building gcc alone worked.
Now I'm concerned about the health of my machine.
Thank you!

@ 2022-09-28  2:02         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-09-28  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edgar Mobile; +Cc: Richard Purdie, yocto

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 3:41 PM Edgar Mobile <heideggm@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah building gcc alone worked.
> Now I'm concerned about the health of my machine.
> Thank you!

Your machine is fine I think bitbake is extremely parallel and that might
be issue that it’s eating up all the memory. How many cores does this
machine have? And ram ? Usually it’s good to keep 3-4gb ram per core for
default operations you can also pin how much parallels tasks and -j
settings bitbake should use during build look for PARALLEL_MAKE
documentation

@ 2022-09-28  8:26           ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2022-09-28  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj, Edgar Mobile; +Cc: yocto

On Tue, 2022-09-27 at 19:02 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 3:41 PM Edgar Mobile <heideggm@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Yeah building gcc alone worked.
> > Now I'm concerned about the health of my machine.
> > Thank you!
> >

> Your machine is fine I think bitbake is extremely parallel and that
> might be issue that it’s eating up all the memory. How many cores
> does this machine have? And ram ? Usually it’s good to keep 3-4gb ram
> per core for default operations you can also pin how much parallels
> tasks and -j settings bitbake should use during build look for
> PARALLEL_MAKE documentation

Khem may be right and it may simply be running out of memory. You could
have a look in dmesg and see if the kernel did report OOM conditions.

What worries me a little bit is that things corrupted. It is possible
that OOM could do that but that would mean exit code checking isn't
happening properly somewhere along the line in the gcc build system
itself (which is possible) or there is some other issue with the error
code paths. The underlying software build systems are really outside
YP's scope though.

Cheers,

Richard