* Intel card master and PCM channels doesn't work
@ 2009-08-12 21:39 Mantas Pilipavičius
From: Mantas Pilipavičius @ 2009-08-12 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=afa01dd48ed59d895d18407af62dbd1fa138686c
Everything works great, I can play the sound, but PCM and Master channels
don't work, so I can't increase or decrease volume. Only thing I can do is
mute/unmute PCM channel

* Re: Intel card master and PCM channels doesn't work
@ 2009-08-13  5:41 ` Takashi Iwai
       [not found]   ` <e82c434a0908130055l6ca18f4aq3f0fd61c8287dbd1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-08-13  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mantas Pilipavičius; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:39:48 +0300,
Mantas Pilipavičius wrote:

> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=afa01dd48ed59d895d18407af62dbd1fa138686c
> Everything works great, I can play the sound, but PCM and Master channels
> don't work, so I can't increase or decrease volume. Only thing I can do is
> mute/unmute PCM channel

This hardware has no volume control indeed.
The volume has to be adjusted in software by data manipulation.

Takashi

@ 2009-08-13  8:14     ` Takashi Iwai
       [not found]       ` <e82c434a0908130127n7b03167cy9aba31ee38b6bec6@mail.gmail.com>
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-08-13  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mantas Pilipavičius; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:55:38 +0300,
Mantas Pilipavičius wrote:

> Can you explain more detailed? What is data manipulation?

You need to change all the stream data multiplying the volume
gain/attenuation in software because you hardware gives no volume
control by itself.

In the case of alsa-lib, it's softvol plugin.  Or, if you use PA,
PA does it automatically.

Takashi

@ 2009-08-13  9:37         ` Takashi Iwai
       [not found]           ` <e82c434a0908130241q233c9c68xa91e50df5ce4b233@mail.gmail.com>
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-08-13  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mantas Pilipavičius; +Cc: alsa-devel

[Please don't drop Cc to alsa-devel ML]

At Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:27:29 +0300,
Mantas Pilipavičius wrote:

> So I can play a sound with this command:
> speaker-test -Dhw:0,0 -c2 -twav
>
> I edit my asound.rc:
> nano -w ~/.asoundrc and nano -w /etc/asound.conf
>
> With this:
>
> pcm.softvol {
>     type            softvol
>     slave {
>         pcm         "hw:0,0"
>     }
>     control {
>         name        "Garsas"
>         card        0
>     }
> }
>
> And the I try:
>
> speaker-test -Dsoftwol -c2 -twav
>
> And it doesn't work.

Elaborate what doesn't work how.

> Sorry to disturb you and consume your precious time, but
> I am new to open source and really need this.

What about if you run without -Dxxx option?
Usually PCM volume should be created as a softvol if not exists.

Takashi

@ 2009-08-13 10:11             ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2009-08-13 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mantas Pilipavičius; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:41:08 +0300,
Mantas Pilipavičius wrote:

> I waited a bit longer and it worked with this command:
> speaker-test -c2
>
> But again, when I try to play my mp3 files with mp3blaster it doesn't affect
> the sound when I use alsamixer. But with speaker-test it does work.

It depends how app accesses the sound device.  If the application uses
"default" PCM, not "hw" or so, then it should work without changing.
Or, if app uses OSS emulation over /dev/dsp, softvol doesn't work.

Takashi