* udev bug?  (I don't think so)
@ 2006-07-14 19:12 Ian Pilcher
From: Ian Pilcher @ 2006-07-14 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

There's a sporadic discussion over on the pilot-link mailing lists about
writing udev rules for Palm Treos (and similar multi-port devices).

When one of these devices is plugged in, the visor driver creates two
USB serial devices; a udev rule which matches the SYSFS{idVendor} and
SYSFS{idProduct} will match both serial devices, and /dev/pilot will end
up linked to whichever USB serial port is processed *last*.  The last
serial port processed is not necessarily the device with the higher
kernel number.

Several people on the pilot-link list have stated that this is a udev
bug, but I don't agree.  AFAIK, udev provides no assurance as to the
order in which events are processed -- regardless of the order in which
they are generated.

Am I correct?

Thanks!

--
====================================
Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher@comcast.net

* Re: udev bug?  (I don't think so)
@ 2006-07-15  2:48 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2006-07-15  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 02:12:35PM -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> There's a sporadic discussion over on the pilot-link mailing lists about
> writing udev rules for Palm Treos (and similar multi-port devices).
>
> When one of these devices is plugged in, the visor driver creates two
> USB serial devices; a udev rule which matches the SYSFS{idVendor} and
> SYSFS{idProduct} will match both serial devices, and /dev/pilot will end
> up linked to whichever USB serial port is processed *last*.  The last
> serial port processed is not necessarily the device with the higher
> kernel number.
>
> Several people on the pilot-link list have stated that this is a udev
> bug, but I don't agree.  AFAIK, udev provides no assurance as to the
> order in which events are processed -- regardless of the order in which
> they are generated.
>
> Am I correct?

Yes you are.  See the archives of this list for how difficult it is to
write a generic rule for the visor/clie/palm devices that will always
work properly.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: udev bug?  (I don't think so)