* is there an actual "Getting Started" guide?
@ 2022-05-11 10:28 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2022-05-11 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

  was building a fresh ubuntu 22.04 build machine for OE/YP, starting
with minimal install to see how much more i would have to add, and
got (via sanity.bbclass) a missing module message based on:

status.addresult('Your Python 3 is not a full install. Please install
the module %s (see the Getting Started guide for further
information).\n' % e.name)

  note the reference to the "Getting Started guide", which does not
seem to exist (anymore?). where *would* one go to resolve an error of
the form "missing distutils.sysconfig" absent a Getting Started guide?

rday

p.s. i know how to resolve the above, the issue is the reference to
the guide in the error message.

* Re: [docs] is there an actual "Getting Started" guide?
@ 2022-05-11 10:37 ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2022-05-11 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Robert,

On 5/11/22 12:28, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    was building a fresh ubuntu 22.04 build machine for OE/YP, starting
> with minimal install to see how much more i would have to add, and
> got (via sanity.bbclass) a missing module message based on:
>
> status.addresult('Your Python 3 is not a full install. Please install
> the module %s (see the Getting Started guide for further
> information).\n' % e.name)
>
>    note the reference to the "Getting Started guide", which does not
> seem to exist (anymore?). where *would* one go to resolve an error of
> the form "missing distutils.sysconfig" absent a Getting Started guide?

I think this is what you're after?
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/system-requirements.html

If so, please send a patch to update the error code to point to this
piece of documentation :)

Cheers,
Quentin

* Re: [docs] is there an actual "Getting Started" guide?
@ 2022-05-11 10:41   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2022-05-11 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 May 2022, Quentin Schulz wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On 5/11/22 12:28, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >    was building a fresh ubuntu 22.04 build machine for OE/YP, starting
> > with minimal install to see how much more i would have to add, and
> > got (via sanity.bbclass) a missing module message based on:
> >
> > status.addresult('Your Python 3 is not a full install. Please install
> > the module %s (see the Getting Started guide for further
> > information).\n' % e.name)
> >
> >    note the reference to the "Getting Started guide", which does not
> > seem to exist (anymore?). where *would* one go to resolve an error of
> > the form "missing distutils.sysconfig" absent a Getting Started guide?
> >

> I think this is what you're after?
> https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/system-requirements.html
>
> If so, please send a patch to update the error code to point to this
> piece of documentation :)

  i *suspected* it was something like that, just wanted to make sure
there was no "getting started" guide i'd managed to miss all this
time.  will send patch to OE list.

rday

* Re: [docs] is there an actual "Getting Started" guide?
@ 2022-05-11 10:49     ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2022-05-11 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5/11/22 12:41, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2022, Quentin Schulz wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> On 5/11/22 12:28, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>
>>>     was building a fresh ubuntu 22.04 build machine for OE/YP, starting
>>> with minimal install to see how much more i would have to add, and
>>> got (via sanity.bbclass) a missing module message based on:
>>>
>>> status.addresult('Your Python 3 is not a full install. Please install
>>> the module %s (see the Getting Started guide for further
>>> information).\n' % e.name)
>>>
>>>     note the reference to the "Getting Started guide", which does not
>>> seem to exist (anymore?). where *would* one go to resolve an error of
>>> the form "missing distutils.sysconfig" absent a Getting Started guide?
>>>

>> I think this is what you're after?
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.yoctoproject.org_ref-2Dmanual_system-2Drequirements.html&d=DwIBAg&c=_sEr5x9kUWhuk4_nFwjJtA&r=LYjLexDn7rXIzVmkNPvw5ymA1XTSqHGq8yBP6m6qZZ4njZguQhZhkI_-172IIy1t&m=yPuNzagIy_whkBE_pem1x9YQx7w5lvQlVIoLNlaMimJyeWKCJdIPq9TjDyYGWrjs&s=24h3qNQNp2mMdaiqx5o7n3youEbYKRITx0hwOnd9Mdo&e=
>>
>> If so, please send a patch to update the error code to point to this
>> piece of documentation :)
>
>    i *suspected* it was something like that, just wanted to make sure
> there was no "getting started" guide i'd managed to miss all this
> time.  will send patch to OE list.

I think it *might* actually be
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/dev-manual/start.html.

c.f.
https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/commit/?id=028f8f7a1b93a023a99ffadb01b0da699b4081c2

Either way, it needs to be fixed :)

Cheers,
Quentin

* Re: [docs] is there an actual "Getting Started" guide?
@ 2022-05-11 11:11       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2022-05-11 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 May 2022, Quentin Schulz wrote:

> On 5/11/22 12:41, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 May 2022, Quentin Schulz wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Robert,

> >> I think this is what you're after?
> >> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.yoctoproject.org_ref-2Dmanual_system-2Drequirements.html&d=DwIBAg&c=_sEr5x9kUWhuk4_nFwjJtA&r=LYjLexDn7rXIzVmkNPvw5ymA1XTSqHGq8yBP6m6qZZ4njZguQhZhkI_-172IIy1t&m=yPuNzagIy_whkBE_pem1x9YQx7w5lvQlVIoLNlaMimJyeWKCJdIPq9TjDyYGWrjs&s=24h3qNQNp2mMdaiqx5o7n3youEbYKRITx0hwOnd9Mdo&e=
> >>
> >> If so, please send a patch to update the error code to point to this
> >> piece of documentation :)
> >
> >    i *suspected* it was something like that, just wanted to make sure
> > there was no "getting started" guide i'd managed to miss all this
> > time.  will send patch to OE list.
> >

> I think it *might* actually be
> https://docs.yoctoproject.org/dev-manual/start.html.
>
> c.f.
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/commit/?id=028f8f7a1b93a023a99ffadb01b0da699b4081c2
>
> Either way, it needs to be fixed :)

  actually, backing up a bit, i think there's a slightly larger
problem. consider again the snippet from sanity.bbclass:

  # Check the python install is complete. Examples that are often removed in
  # minimal installations: glib-2.0-natives requries xml.parsers.expat and icu
  # requires distutils.sysconfig.
    try:
        import xml.parsers.expat
        import distutils.sysconfig
    except ImportError as e:
        status.addresult('Your Python 3 is not a full install. Please
        install the module %s (see the Getting Started guide for
        further information).\n' % e.name)

seems to me that, regardless of where that snippet sends the reader,
how to resolve that issue should be explained there, no?

  so one gets "hey, you need to install the module
distutils.sysconfig'. great. how? if the reader is not a python
expert, they may not realize the solution on ubuntu 22.04 is:

  $ sudo apt install python3-distutils

how are they supposed to know that? should whatever page they're sent
to address this? is it simply a matter of adding that package to the
list of required packages for the various distros?

rday

* Re: [docs] is there an actual "Getting Started" guide?
@ 2022-05-11 15:27         ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2022-05-11 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 4:11 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2022, Quentin Schulz wrote:

> > >    i *suspected* it was something like that, just wanted to make sure
> > > there was no "getting started" guide i'd managed to miss all this
> > > time.  will send patch to OE list.
> > >

> > I think it *might* actually be
> > https://docs.yoctoproject.org/dev-manual/start.html.
> >
> > c.f.
> > https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/commit/?id=028f8f7a1b93a023a99ffadb01b0da699b4081c2
> >
> > Either way, it needs to be fixed :)
>
>   actually, backing up a bit, i think there's a slightly larger
> problem. consider again the snippet from sanity.bbclass:
>
>   # Check the python install is complete. Examples that are often removed in
>   # minimal installations: glib-2.0-natives requries xml.parsers.expat and icu
>   # requires distutils.sysconfig.
>     try:
>         import xml.parsers.expat
>         import distutils.sysconfig
>     except ImportError as e:
>         status.addresult('Your Python 3 is not a full install. Please
>         install the module %s (see the Getting Started guide for
>         further information).\n' % e.name)
>
> seems to me that, regardless of where that snippet sends the reader,
> how to resolve that issue should be explained there, no?
>
>   so one gets "hey, you need to install the module
> distutils.sysconfig'. great. how? if the reader is not a python
> expert, they may not realize the solution on ubuntu 22.04 is:
>
>   $ sudo apt install python3-distutils
>
> how are they supposed to know that? should whatever page they're sent
> to address this? is it simply a matter of adding that package to the
> list of required packages for the various distros?

We have a list of prerequisites and each one is there for a reason,
ideally we should
cite the reason for it to be there but we have not. We could document
it as well although
folks may not be interested in the innards of the problem as you say,
they may be looking for
a solution. So suggesting them to install all prerequisites is a good
first step and list this
under there.