* [Buildroot] genimage with GPT partition
@ 2018-08-28  9:13 lpdev at cordier.org
From: lpdev at cordier.org @ 2018-08-28  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

After successfully booting an EFI-generated distro, I am now looking for an easy-to-install steps for my image file. (using the pc_x86_64_efi_defconfig).

I first tried to flash directly the .img file on my device, and actually it does not boot. The reason is because the generated .img file is containing mbr partition instead of gpt.

Is it a limitation of genimage? Is there any way to generate a gpt-compatible .img file?

Note that I cannot use legacy boot in my bios.

Thank you for your help.
BR, Louis-Paul CORDIER

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] genimage with GPT partition
@ 2018-08-28  9:57 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2018-08-28  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Hi,
 > After successfully booting an EFI-generated distro, I am now looking
 > for an easy-to-install steps for my image file. (using the
 > pc_x86_64_efi_defconfig).

 > I first tried to flash directly the .img file on my device, and
 > actually it does not boot. The reason is because the generated .img
 > file is containing mbr partition instead of gpt.

 > Is it a limitation of genimage? Is there any way to generate a
 > gpt-compatible .img file?

Yes, unfortunately it is.

Genimage is a standalone open source project, not specific to Buildroot:

https://github.com/pengutronix/genimage

Perhaps contact them to ask about GPT support and/or contribute it
yourself?

Genimage is just a handy way to execute the basic
fdisk/mkfs/.. commands. Alternatively a script to do something similar
with gptfdisk could probably be written.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] genimage with GPT partition
@ 2018-08-28 11:18 ` Carlos Santos
From: Carlos Santos @ 2018-08-28 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
> After successfully booting an EFI-generated distro, I am now looking for an
> easy-to-install steps for my image file. (using the pc_x86_64_efi_defconfig).

> I first tried to flash directly the .img file on my device, and actually it does
> not boot. The reason is because the generated .img file is containing mbr
> partition instead of gpt.

> Is it a limitation of genimage? Is there any way to generate a gpt-compatible
> .img file?

genimage does not create GPT partitions. In my current project I made a
tricky post-image script which uses sfdisk, mcopy and mkfs to craft a
disk image with the required partitions. It's beautifully horrendous.

--
Carlos Santos (Casantos) - DATACOM, P&D
?Marched towards the enemy, spear upright, armed with the certainty

* [Buildroot] genimage with GPT partition
@ 2018-08-28 11:28   ` lpdev at cordier.org
From: lpdev at cordier.org @ 2018-08-28 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi again,

I think support for GPT would be a useful feature to add to the back log.
Carlos, would it be possible for you to share your custom script? It would save me a lot of time not doing it from scratch.

Thanks!

De : Carlos Santos <casantos@datacom.com.br>
? : LP <lpdev@cordier.org>
Sujet : Re: [Buildroot] genimage with GPT partition
Date : 28/08/2018 13:18:59 CEST
Copie ? : buildroot <buildroot@busybox.net>

@ 2018-08-28 12:57     ` Carlos Santos
From: Carlos Santos @ 2018-08-28 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

[...]

>> genimage does not create GPT partitions. In my current project I made a
>> tricky post-image script which uses sfdisk, mcopy and mkfs to craft a
>> disk image with the required partitions. It's beautifully horrendous.

I will make a simplified (and readable) version and post it somewhere.

--

@ 2018-08-31  2:34       ` Carlos Santos
From: Carlos Santos @ 2018-08-31  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot