* UID/GID for ceph user and group
@ 2017-02-16 15:46 Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2017-02-16 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Development

Hi,

Is there a typical uid/gid that is selected on oterh platforms to assign
to ceph:ceph?

On my centos7 box they are not defined when I installed the ceph package?

--WjW

* Re: UID/GID for ceph user and group
@ 2017-02-20  6:07 ` Brad Hubbard
From: Brad Hubbard @ 2017-02-20  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: Ceph Development

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 1:46 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a typical uid/gid that is selected on oterh platforms to assign
> to ceph:ceph?

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/ceph.spec.in#L970

I wonder if that should be "%if 0%{?rhel} || 0%{?fedora} || 0%{?centos}" ?

Seems odd you'd be the first to notice though?????

> On my centos7 box they are not defined when I installed the ceph package?
>
> --WjW

Cheers,
Brad

* Re: UID/GID for ceph user and group
@ 2017-02-20  9:53   ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2017-02-20  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Hubbard; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 20-2-2017 07:07, Brad Hubbard wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 1:46 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a typical uid/gid that is selected on oterh platforms to assign
>> to ceph:ceph?
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/ceph.spec.in#L970
>
> I wonder if that should be "%if 0%{?rhel} || 0%{?fedora} || 0%{?centos}" ?
>
> Seems odd you'd be the first to notice though?????
>

>> On my centos7 box they are not defined when I installed the ceph package?

This is/was for my FreeBSD ceph port....
And it seems that there is a bit of consensus on 167 IF IDs need to be <
1000. Which is the case for preassigned UID/GIDs on FreeBSD.

So for now I took 167:167, which was still free.

Thanx,

@ 2017-02-20 10:49     ` Brad Hubbard
From: Brad Hubbard @ 2017-02-20 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: Ceph Development

>> On my centos7 box they are not defined when I installed the ceph package?

It was this statement that concerned me. Wondering why the ceph
user/group wasn't created during your CentOS install?

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
> On 20-2-2017 07:07, Brad Hubbard wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 1:46 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a typical uid/gid that is selected on oterh platforms to assign
>>> to ceph:ceph?
>>
>> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/ceph.spec.in#L970
>>
>> I wonder if that should be "%if 0%{?rhel} || 0%{?fedora} || 0%{?centos}" ?
>>
>> Seems odd you'd be the first to notice though?????
>>

>>> On my centos7 box they are not defined when I installed the ceph package?
>
> This is/was for my FreeBSD ceph port....
> And it seems that there is a bit of consensus on 167 IF IDs need to be <
> 1000. Which is the case for preassigned UID/GIDs on FreeBSD.
>
> So for now I took 167:167, which was still free.
>
> Thanx,
> --WjW

Cheers,
Brad

* Re: UID/GID for ceph user and group
@ 2017-02-20 11:12       ` Willem Jan Withagen
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2017-02-20 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Hubbard; +Cc: Ceph Development

On 20-2-2017 11:49, Brad Hubbard wrote:
>>> On my centos7 box they are not defined when I installed the ceph package?
>
> It was this statement that concerned me. Wondering why the ceph
> user/group wasn't created during your CentOS install?

Good argument, but now you put your thumb on it.

Ceph is not installed on that CentOS VM, it is just for builds when I
can not figure out why Jenkins is giving me pains with a PR.
And to avoid pollution in the info, ceph is natively not installed in
the VM.
But then again on our cluster running Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS it isn't there
either. But I'd have to ask the administrators as to why that is.
Seems daemons are running as root.

--WjW

@ 2017-02-20 11:20         ` Brad Hubbard
From: Brad Hubbard @ 2017-02-20 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: Ceph Development

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> wrote:

>> It was this statement that concerned me. Wondering why the ceph
>> user/group wasn't created during your CentOS install?
>
> Good argument, but now you put your thumb on it.
>
> Ceph is not installed on that CentOS VM, it is just for builds when I

Haha, well that would certainly explain it! :)

> can not figure out why Jenkins is giving me pains with a PR.
> And to avoid pollution in the info, ceph is natively not installed in
> the VM.
> But then again on our cluster running Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS it isn't there
> either. But I'd have to ask the administrators as to why that is.
> Seems daemons are running as root.
>
> --WjW

>>> This is/was for my FreeBSD ceph port....
>>> And it seems that there is a bit of consensus on 167 IF IDs need to be <
>>> 1000. Which is the case for preassigned UID/GIDs on FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> So for now I took 167:167, which was still free.
>>>
>>> Thanx,
>>> --WjW
>>>

>>> --

Cheers,
Brad

* Re: UID/GID for ceph user and group
@ 2017-02-20 21:15   ` Nathan Cutler
From: Nathan Cutler @ 2017-02-20 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Hubbard; +Cc: Ceph Development

Hi Brad:

> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/ceph.spec.in#L970
>
> I wonder if that should be "%if 0%{?rhel} || 0%{?fedora} || 0%{?centos}" ?
>
> Seems odd you'd be the first to notice though?????

No, because 0%{?rhel} evaluates to true on CentOS.

Regards.
Nathan