* ANNOUNCE: New sponsor Netronome
@ 2017-03-18 12:10 Jamal Hadi Salim
From: Jamal Hadi Salim @ 2017-03-18 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: people
  Cc: tech-committee, netfilter-devel, Brenda Butler, Stephen Jaworski,
	netfilter, linux-wireless, Heri Muhero

The organizing committee would like to announce a new silver sponsor,
Netronome.

Netronome is a returning silver sponsor. The netdev community
appreciates their support once again!

cheers,
jamal

* Re: ANNOUNCE: New sponsor Netronome
@ 2017-03-18 12:27 ` Amine Aouled Hamed
From: Amine Aouled Hamed @ 2017-03-18 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamal Hadi Salim
  Cc: people, tech-committee, netfilter-devel, Brenda Butler,
	Stephen Jaworski, netfilter, linux-wireless, Heri Muhero

Can you stop with the spam?

@ 2017-03-18 12:34   ` Jamal Hadi Salim
From: Jamal Hadi Salim @ 2017-03-18 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amine Aouled Hamed
  Cc: people, tech-committee, netfilter-devel, Brenda Butler,

On 17-03-18 08:27 AM, Amine Aouled Hamed wrote:
> Can you stop with the spam?

Which mailing list do you represent that considers this spam?

cheers,
jamal
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@mojatatu.com> wrote:
>> The organizing committee would like to announce a new silver sponsor,
>> Netronome.
>>
>> Netronome is a returning silver sponsor. The netdev community
>> appreciates their support once again!
>>
>> cheers,
>> jamal
>> --

* Re: [NetDev] ANNOUNCE: New sponsor Netronome
@ 2017-03-18 22:22     ` Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2017-03-18 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamal Hadi Salim
  Cc: Amine Aouled Hamed, tech-committee, linux-wireless, Heri Muhero,
	people, netfilter, netfilter-devel

----- On Mar 18, 2017, at 8:34 AM, Jamal Hadi Salim jhs@mojatatu.com wrote:

> On 17-03-18 08:27 AM, Amine Aouled Hamed wrote:
>> Can you stop with the spam?
>>

> Which mailing list do you represent that considers this spam?

My personal 2 cents: I got subscribed automatically to
people@netdevconf.org when I registered to netconf.

The level of noise on this list is way too much for me.
May I respectfully recommend that you guys use this kind of
mailing list for organizational messages only, and keep the
schedule and sponsor details to a website, or a summary sent at
most once or twice before the event.

I will personally unsubscribe from this netdev "people"
mailing list, which will fix the problem on my side, but
I won't receive any of the communication related to
organization of the event from now on, which I think is
something the event organizers should consider in their
use of this communication channel with their attendees.

Best regards,

Mathieu

> cheers,
> jamal
>> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@mojatatu.com> wrote:
>>> The organizing committee would like to announce a new silver sponsor,
>>> Netronome.
>>>
>>> Netronome is a returning silver sponsor. The netdev community
>>> appreciates their support once again!
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> jamal
>>> --

Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

* Re: [NetDev] ANNOUNCE: New sponsor Netronome
@ 2017-03-18 22:34         ` Jamal Hadi Salim
From: Jamal Hadi Salim @ 2017-03-18 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers
  Cc: Amine Aouled Hamed, tech-committee, linux-wireless, Heri Muhero,
	people, netfilter, netfilter-devel

Thanks for the feedback. And here's some context:

We do update the website regularly. We also update twitter.
Experience (and polls) have shown that none of our attendees
are big on any of these methods of communication. They
rely on old school mailing lists.
We are also not a traditional organized conference that gets
to know the schedule a few months before the event. We will
likely never ever be one (3 months to organize and run this
conference).
People depend on knowing the content at times to decide
if they want to show up. This is our way of notifying them.
The content announcements will continue until the very last
minute.

In the past these announcements went to a much larger list
(netdev@) - but now we just send summaries.

So there are several options:
1)
Are you a twitter person? Because that is one option - we post
there all the announcements. If you are then it would make sense
to unsubscribe from people@ and watch twitter - all events
will go there.
2)
The summaries idea may be useful - but lets hear more voices
say that..

people@netdevconf is also intended to be a discussion list;
but maybe we need two lists.

cheers,
jamal

From: Jamal Hadi Salim @ 2017-03-18 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers
  Cc: Amine Aouled Hamed, tech-committee-Aq7fehzYRUagpaxmtUs7hg,
	linux-wireless-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Heri Muhero,
	people-Aq7fehzYRUagpaxmtUs7hg, netfilter-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	netfilter-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Thanks for the feedback. And here's some context:

We do update the website regularly. We also update twitter.
Experience (and polls) have shown that none of our attendees
are big on any of these methods of communication. They
rely on old school mailing lists.
We are also not a traditional organized conference that gets
to know the schedule a few months before the event. We will
likely never ever be one (3 months to organize and run this
conference).
People depend on knowing the content at times to decide
if they want to show up. This is our way of notifying them.
The content announcements will continue until the very last
minute.

In the past these announcements went to a much larger list
(netdev@) - but now we just send summaries.

So there are several options:
1)
Are you a twitter person? Because that is one option - we post
there all the announcements. If you are then it would make sense
to unsubscribe from people@ and watch twitter - all events
will go there.
2)
The summaries idea may be useful - but lets hear more voices
say that..

people@netdevconf is also intended to be a discussion list;
but maybe we need two lists.

cheers,
jamal

On 17-03-18 06:22 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> ----- On Mar 18, 2017, at 8:34 AM, Jamal Hadi Salim jhs-jkUAjuhPggJWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org wrote:
>
>> On 17-03-18 08:27 AM, Amine Aouled Hamed wrote:
>>> Can you stop with the spam?
>>>

>> Which mailing list do you represent that considers this spam?
>
> My personal 2 cents: I got subscribed automatically to
> people-Aq7fehzYRUagpaxmtUs7hg@public.gmane.org when I registered to netconf.
>
> The level of noise on this list is way too much for me.
> May I respectfully recommend that you guys use this kind of
> mailing list for organizational messages only, and keep the
> schedule and sponsor details to a website, or a summary sent at
> most once or twice before the event.
>
> I will personally unsubscribe from this netdev "people"
> mailing list, which will fix the problem on my side, but
> I won't receive any of the communication related to
> organization of the event from now on, which I think is
> something the event organizers should consider in their
> use of this communication channel with their attendees.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mathieu

* Re: [NetDev-tech] [NetDev] ANNOUNCE: New sponsor Netronome
       [not found]         ` <CAAFAkD9uG2UUxxLPDF8fuWCP4gxEmozfw3giOSViaWRE38UhFQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-03-19  0:07           ` Amine Aouled Hamed
From: Amine Aouled Hamed @ 2017-03-19  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamal Hadi Salim
  Cc: Jamal Hadi Salim, Mathieu Desnoyers, tech-committee,
	linux-wireless, Heri Muhero, people, netfilter, netfilter-devel

Im subscribed to netfilter and netfilter-dev but does it matter? you
are spamming on multiple lists about something not related to the list
subject.
People subscribe to the list to exchange information and discuss
relevant subjects not to get ads...
If you are trying to bring people to your event than I guess you are
doing the exact opposite by spamming in all these lists.

Amine.

@ 2017-03-19  1:21             ` Jamal Hadi Salim
From: Jamal Hadi Salim @ 2017-03-19  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amine Aouled Hamed, Jamal Hadi Salim
  Cc: Mathieu Desnoyers, tech-committee, linux-wireless, Heri Muhero,

On 17-03-18 08:07 PM, Amine Aouled Hamed wrote:
> Im subscribed to netfilter and netfilter-dev but does it matter? you
> are spamming on multiple lists about something not related to the list
> subject.
> People subscribe to the list to exchange information and discuss
> relevant subjects not to get ads...

Netfilter is certainly part of the event.

> If you are trying to bring people to your event than I guess you are
> doing the exact opposite by spamming in all these lists.

Lets hear if more people want netfilter lists or any other lists
removed.

cheers,
jamal

* Re: [NetDev-tech] [NetDev] ANNOUNCE: New sponsor Netronome
@ 2017-03-19  1:42               ` Alexis Green
From: Alexis Green @ 2017-03-19  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamal Hadi Salim
  Cc: Amine Aouled Hamed, Jamal Hadi Salim, Mathieu Desnoyers,
	tech-committee, linux-wireless, Heri Muhero, people, netfilter,
	netfilter-devel

Why is this sent to linux-wireless?

@ 2017-03-19  1:56                 ` Jamal Hadi Salim
From: Jamal Hadi Salim @ 2017-03-19  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis Green
  Cc: Amine Aouled Hamed, Jamal Hadi Salim, Mathieu Desnoyers,

On 17-03-18 09:42 PM, Alexis Green wrote:
> Why is this sent to linux-wireless?

Because linux-wireless is part of this event.

Like netfilter, lets please have more people chime
in _to not_ have these postings go to linux-wireless.

Note: this discussion already has generated more traffic
than a few days worth of announcements ;->

cheers,
jamal

* Re: [NetDev] [NetDev-tech]  ANNOUNCE: New sponsor Netronome
@ 2017-03-19  6:06                     ` Alexander Alemayhu
From: Alexander Alemayhu @ 2017-03-19  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamal Hadi Salim
  Cc: Alexis Green, tech-committee, linux-wireless, Heri Muhero,
	people, netfilter, Mathieu Desnoyers, netfilter-devel,
	Amine Aouled Hamed

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 09:56:36PM -0400, Jamal Hadi Salim wrote:

> Note: this discussion already has generated more traffic
> than a few days worth of announcements ;->

IIRC Hajime always added links to the site in his announcements, which
made it easy to lookup netdev.  Maybe adding some lines about netdev to
all emails would reduce confusion? Suspect not everyone subscribed to
these lists knows what netdev is.

Don't consider these emails spam at all :)

Thanks.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Alexander Alemayhu

From: Alexander Alemayhu @ 2017-03-19  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamal Hadi Salim
  Cc: Alexis Green, tech-committee, linux-wireless, Heri Muhero,
	people-Aq7fehzYRUagpaxmtUs7hg, netfilter-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	Mathieu Desnoyers, netfilter-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,