* [Xenomai] NRT send/recv with rtpacket
@ 2018-09-15 13:02 Edouard Tisserant
From: Edouard Tisserant @ 2018-09-15 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org), Jan Kiszka

Hi all,

When using EtherLAB-RTDM-Net adapter [1], EtherCAT master directly calls
RTDM RAW socket kernel API to send and receive Ethernet packets.

Depending on operational state, EtherCAT master can be executed as a
real-time or non-real-time kernel thread.

RTpacket did not support non-real-time sendmsg and recvmsg. Attached
patches fix this problem.

0004-xenomai_allow_nrt_operation_in_rtpacket.patch :
    patch against xenomai-3.0.6 - TESTED OK

0001-Add-non-RT-sendmsg-and-recvmsg-in-rtpacket.patch :
    same patch, "git-formated" against stable-3.0.x UNTESTED

Regards,

Edouard

From: Jan Kiszka @ 2018-09-17  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edouard Tisserant, Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

Hi Edouard,

On 15.09.18 15:02, Edouard Tisserant wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When using EtherLAB-RTDM-Net adapter [1], EtherCAT master directly calls
> RTDM RAW socket kernel API to send and receive Ethernet packets.
>
> Depending on operational state, EtherCAT master can be executed as a
> real-time or non-real-time kernel thread.
>
> RTpacket did not support non-real-time sendmsg and recvmsg. Attached
> patches fix this problem.
>
> 0004-xenomai_allow_nrt_operation_in_rtpacket.patch :
>      patch against xenomai-3.0.6 - TESTED OK
>
> 0001-Add-non-RT-sendmsg-and-recvmsg-in-rtpacket.patch :
>      same patch, "git-formated" against stable-3.0.x UNTESTED

Can you send the patches as separate emails, inlined (git send-email)? This is
not easily reviewable because...

> Regards,
>
> Edouard

...these attachments are not forwarded to the list.

Also note that features should first be in next/master before we decide whether
pushing them to stable as well is OK (generally, only fixes should go there).
Patches should therefore target the next branch.

Thanks,
Jan

* Re: [Xenomai] NRT send/recv with rtpacket
@ 2018-09-17  7:52   ` Edouard Tisserant
From: Edouard Tisserant @ 2018-09-17  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Xenomai (xenomai@xenomai.org)

Hi Jan

Sorry for the mess.

> Can you send the patches as separate emails, inlined (git send-email)?
> This is not easily reviewable because...
>
> ...these attachments are not forwarded to the list.

ok, will resend git email so that list can review.

> Also note that features should first be in next/master before we
> decide whether pushing them to stable as well is OK (generally, only
> fixes should go there). Patches should therefore target the next branch.

Sorry, I tried applying it on stable-3.0.x, and git feels to me like
driving a tank with a trackball. I'll do it on next branch next time,
and hope that rebasing this one won't be a problem... thanks in advance.

Edouard

PS: I also forgot this reference:
[1] https://hg.beremiz.org/etherlabmaster/file/tip/devices/rtdmnet.c