* Compiler warning
@ 2019-02-04 11:43 Koen Vandeputte
From: Koen Vandeputte @ 2019-02-04 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi All,

I'm seeing following compiler warning during kernel compilation
(5.0-rc5  and  4.14.96):

net/core/dev.c: In function 'validate_xmit_skb_list':
net/core/dev.c:3405:15: warning: 'tail' may be used uninitialized in
this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
     tail->next = skb;
     ~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~

Source shows this:

https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.0-rc5/source/net/core/dev.c#L3387

Looks like "tail" can get deferenced while it indeed doesn't get
initialized? Kind regards, Koen

* Re: Compiler warning
@ 2019-02-05  2:55 ` David Ahern
From: David Ahern @ 2019-02-05  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Vandeputte, netdev

On 2/4/19 3:43 AM, Koen Vandeputte wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm seeing following compiler warning during kernel compilation
> (5.0-rc5  and  4.14.96):
>

> net/core/dev.c: In function 'validate_xmit_skb_list':
> net/core/dev.c:3405:15: warning: 'tail' may be used uninitialized in
> this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
>     tail->next = skb;
>     ~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~
>

> Source shows this:
>
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.0-rc5/source/net/core/dev.c#L3387
>
> Looks like "tail" can get deferenced while it indeed doesn't get
> initialized? Kind regards, Koen

same with this one - false positive. head is initialized to NULL. tail
is set on the first pass through the loop.

What compiler / version is this?

* Re: Compiler warning
@ 2019-02-07 13:55   ` Koen Vandeputte
From: Koen Vandeputte @ 2019-02-07 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ahern, netdev

On 05.02.19 03:55, David Ahern wrote:
> On 2/4/19 3:43 AM, Koen Vandeputte wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm seeing following compiler warning during kernel compilation
>> (5.0-rc5  and  4.14.96):
>>

>> net/core/dev.c: In function 'validate_xmit_skb_list':
>> net/core/dev.c:3405:15: warning: 'tail' may be used uninitialized in
>> this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
>>      tail->next = skb;
>>      ~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~
>>

>> Source shows this:
>>
>> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.0-rc5/source/net/core/dev.c#L3387
>>
>> Looks like "tail" can get deferenced while it indeed doesn't get
>> initialized? Kind regards, Koen
>>
> same with this one - false positive. head is initialized to NULL. tail
> is set on the first pass through the loop.
>
> What compiler / version is this?

Thanks for confirming David. (for both of the warnings)
This is seen using GCC 7.4.0

I don't know the policy upstream regarding compiler warnings .. so
thought I should report these. :)

Regards,

Koen

* Re: compiler warning
@ 2001-03-21 17:11 ` Cal Erickson
From: Cal Erickson @ 2001-03-21 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Fuchs; +Cc: Frank Rowand, linuxppc-embedded

Matthias,
This is a warning that the attributes for a section which
the linker creates when the link is done has had its
initial attributes changed. We at MontaVista have seen
this and we will be posting a fix with our HHL 2.0 release.
It is only a warning and will not affect the executable code.

Cal
Matthias Fuchs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I do not understand this compiler warning:
>
> /tmp/ccu149sf.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccu149sf.s:5: Warning: Ignoring changed section attributes for
> .modinfo
>
> It appears everytime, when I use the ppc_4xx-gcc from MontaVista.
> What does it mean ? Do I have to take care aboutit ?
>
> Matthias

> \ Matthias Fuchs                                 \
>  \ esd electronic system design Gmbh              \
>   \ Vahrenwalder Straße 205                        \
>    \ D-30165 Hannover                               \
>     \ email: matthias.fuchs@esd-electronics.com      \
>      \ phone: +49-511-37298-0                         \
>       \ fax:   +49-511-37298-68                        \

Cal Erickson                 MontaVista Software Inc.
Linux Consultant             1237 E. Arques Ave.
Phone (408) 328-0304         Sunnyvale CA 94085
Fax   (408) 328-9204         web http://www.mvista.com
eCode: http://cal@work.com.ecode.com

* compiler warning
@ 2001-03-21 14:28 Matthias Fuchs