* Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-14 13:26 dev
From: dev @ 2007-10-14 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies, linux-acpi

Hey,
 I have a P4 2.8 GHz 915 , ASUS Mobo , Slackware linux 12 running
kernel 2.6.23 right now , but have used most of the major (2.6.*)
releases since 2.6.17

My computer on shutdown now -h never shut down. A "power down" is
printed on the screen and the monitor goes black, but the comp never
actually shutdown. I always had to kill power manually. I tried with
the generic kernel supplied with slackware (everything is a module) as
well as the huge kernel (everything is compiled in) as well as my own
kernel builds since 2.6.18. Nothing made by comp actually halt on its
own. I assumed it was a faulty ACPI on my computer, and didn't think
much of it.

I installed the latest 2.6.23 kernel. After installing , the shutdown
now -h command still doesn't work. But I tested out the
hibernate/suspend to disk via:

echo shutdown >> /sys/power/disk
echo disk >> /sys/power/state

In this case, the system halts down.

I want to know : if the hibernate / suspend to disk can halt my
computer why can't shutdown now -h. Any reasons for this / fix ?

Regards,
dev

Also , a 'halt' entry in my grub's menu.lst shuts down my computer just fine.

* Re: Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-14 13:54 ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2007-10-14 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: kernelnewbies, linux-acpi

On Sunday, 14 October 2007 15:26, dev wrote:
> Hey,
>  I have a P4 2.8 GHz 915 , ASUS Mobo , Slackware linux 12 running
> kernel 2.6.23 right now , but have used most of the major (2.6.*)
> releases since 2.6.17
>
> My computer on shutdown now -h never shut down. A "power down" is
> printed on the screen and the monitor goes black, but the comp never
> actually shutdown. I always had to kill power manually. I tried with
> the generic kernel supplied with slackware (everything is a module) as
> well as the huge kernel (everything is compiled in) as well as my own
> kernel builds since 2.6.18. Nothing made by comp actually halt on its
> own. I assumed it was a faulty ACPI on my computer, and didn't think
> much of it.
>
> I installed the latest 2.6.23 kernel. After installing , the shutdown
> now -h command still doesn't work. But I tested out the
> hibernate/suspend to disk via:
>
> echo shutdown >> /sys/power/disk
> echo disk >> /sys/power/state
>
> In this case, the system halts down.
>
> I want to know : if the hibernate / suspend to disk can halt my
> computer why can't shutdown now -h. Any reasons for this / fix ?

What happens if you do "echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk" before hibernation?

Greetings,
Rafael

* Re: Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-14 14:41   ` dev
From: dev @ 2007-10-14 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: kernelnewbies, linux-acpi

Hey,

> What happens if you do "echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk" before hibernation?

Absolutely nothing! No change at all. I did that and then am writing
this reply. whats supposed to happen?

Regards,
dev

* Re: Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-14 20:12     ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2007-10-14 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: kernelnewbies, linux-acpi

On Sunday, 14 October 2007 16:41, dev wrote:
> Hey,
>
> > What happens if you do "echo shutdown > /sys/power/disk" before hibernation?
>
> Absolutely nothing! No change at all. I did that and then am writing
> this reply. whats supposed to happen?

Ah, I see you did that already before.  Sorry.

It does exactly the same thing as during shutdown (ie. calls
kernel_power_off()), at least I can't tell what's the difference.

What are the last lines printed on the console when you run 'shutdown -h now'?

* Re: Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-15  9:20       ` dev
From: dev @ 2007-10-15  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: linux-acpi

Hey,

It prints umounting (all my partitions).

Then it prints some messages , but before I can read them the monitor
goes blank...
where can I find what was written ? /var/log/dmesg gave me stuff that
was there on the new bootup.

Regards,
dev

* Re: Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-15 10:53         ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2007-10-15 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: linux-acpi

On Monday, 15 October 2007 11:20, dev wrote:
> Hey,
>
> It prints umounting (all my partitions).
>
> Then it prints some messages , but before I can read them the monitor
> goes blank...

So, the monitor goes blank, but the PSU is not turned off?

> where can I find what was written ?

Is this possible to use serial console on this box?

Greetings,
Rafael

* Re: Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-15 12:58           ` dev
From: dev @ 2007-10-15 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: linux-acpi

> So, the monitor goes blank, but the PSU is not turned off?
Yes exactly. processor is also ON, I can hear it.

> Is this possible to use serial console on this box?

What do you mean? I was hoping to know where everything is logged by
the kernel!

ofcourse I later realised that as the fs is remounted readonly before
remount , no logging to disk is possible . :)

I don't know what you mean by serial console ...

Regards,
dev

* Re: Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-15 13:25             ` Alexey Starikovskiy
From: Alexey Starikovskiy @ 2007-10-15 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, linux-acpi

dev wrote:
>> So, the monitor goes blank, but the PSU is not turned off?
PSU is power-supply unit, this is metal box with bunch of colored
wires sitting in the corner of your computer case.
It converts AC from wall outlet into DC used by computer internals.
> Yes exactly. processor is also ON, I can hear it.
You can't hear processor, it is not mechanical thing. You probably hear _fan_
on top of the processor, used to cool it.

>> Is this possible to use serial console on this box?
>
> What do you mean? I was hoping to know where everything is logged by
> the kernel!
>
> ofcourse I later realised that as the fs is remounted readonly before
> remount , no logging to disk is possible . :)
>

> I don't know what you mean by serial console ...
He means that if your computer has serial port (9 or 25 pin D-shaped),
and you have one more computer with such serial port nearby, you could
connect them and have first computer do output over serial connection
to second one, which will act as "serial console" in such case. As
second computer does not powered-off then first one does, it is possible to see
log of powering-off first computer on a second one.

Regards,
Alex.

* Re: Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-15 13:32               ` dev
From: dev @ 2007-10-15 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Starikovskiy; +Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, linux-acpi

Hey,
Although I do have such a computer nearby, what wire do I need to use ?

Also, isn't there any other way? And the more basic question is ...
how is it working for swsuspend and not for power off?

Regards,
dev

* Re: Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-15 14:01                 ` Alexey Starikovskiy
From: Alexey Starikovskiy @ 2007-10-15 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, linux-acpi

dev wrote:
> Hey,
> Although I do have such a computer nearby, what wire do I need to use ?
You need so called null-modem cable. It should be able to plug into serial ports of these
two computers, so you should match pins/holes and 9/25 pin in the plugs,
and wires for RX and TX should cross.

> Also, isn't there any other way? And the more basic question is ...
It is possible to set up net console (with dedicated network cable), but it is less common.
> how is it working for swsuspend and not for power off?
These are different code paths inside the kernel. One of them miss some crucial component.

* Re: Hibernate shuts off comp but shutdown now -h doesn't
@ 2007-10-15 14:18                   ` dev
From: dev @ 2007-10-15 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Starikovskiy; +Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, linux-acpi

Hey,
Well I will hunt for that cable .. but I think it will be pretty hard
to find ...

I will try the netconsole thing if this doesn't work.
Thanks for the help though ...

Regards,
devdatta