* [Buildroot] Defining a package with no dependencies
@ 2022-08-03 23:30 Jameson Collins
From: Jameson Collins @ 2022-08-03 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

If I have a package that doesn't build anything, doesn't depend on
anything, and doesn't have anything depending on it, is it possible to tell
buildroot to build this package without first building the toolchain?

An example of a package like this might be the `flash-my-board` recipe that
is shown in the manual.  Yes, in this case the package doesn't make any
sense unless boot.bin existed, but you can see how it might be useful to
have a package that performs a task and not necessarily generate a build
product.

Thanks,
Jay

* Re: [Buildroot] Defining a package with no dependencies
@ 2022-08-04 10:53 ` Thomas Petazzoni via buildroot
From: Thomas Petazzoni via buildroot @ 2022-08-04 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Collins; +Cc: buildroot

Hello,

On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 19:30:07 -0400
Jameson Collins <jameson.collins@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I have a package that doesn't build anything, doesn't depend on
> anything, and doesn't have anything depending on it, is it possible to tell
> buildroot to build this package without first building the toolchain?

You could do:

<pkg>_ADD_TOOLCHAIN_DEPENDENCY = NO

but that's normally reserved for packages that are part of the
toolchain build.

> An example of a package like this might be the `flash-my-board` recipe that
> is shown in the manual.  Yes, in this case the package doesn't make any
> sense unless boot.bin existed, but you can see how it might be useful to
> have a package that performs a task and not necessarily generate a build
> product.

flash-my-board inside the manual is *not* a package. It's just an
example in the external.mk, to show that external.mk can be used to
provide additional custom make targets. It has nothing to do with a
package.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, co-owner and CEO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering and training

* Re: [Buildroot] Defining a package with no dependencies
@ 2022-08-04 15:06 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2022-08-04 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Collins, buildroot

On 04/08/2022 01:30, Jameson Collins wrote:
> If I have a package that doesn't build anything, doesn't depend on anything, and
> doesn't have anything depending on it, is it possible to tell buildroot to build
> this package without first building the toolchain?

  If it's not building anything for the target, you could claim that it's a host
package. So use host-generic-package.

  Regards,
  Arnout

@ 2022-08-08 12:02   ` Jameson Collins