* [U-Boot] imx27lite stability problems.
@ 2009-09-17  7:31 javier Martin
From: javier Martin @ 2009-09-17  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I have tried u-boot for the imx27lite board from LogicPD which is
currently in u-boot-arm repository and I have experienced some
stability problems:
- Sometimes the system gets stuck in serial_getc() from serial_mxc.c
driver when printing information (ex. mii read ).
- Pings do not work properly, the system gets stuck in fec_send()
function waiting always for a frame to be sent (which actually does
not happen).
- Sometimes the system gets stuck when saving the environment to flash
'saveenv', but other times it does it well.

I would like to help to solve this problems, but I don't know exactly
where to begin from. I have been reviewing clock settings. Could this
be happening because this board is using 32KHz xtal as reference
instead of 26MHz one?

Have you experienced these problems also?

Thank you.

--
Javier Martin
Vista Silicon S.L.

* [U-Boot] imx27lite stability problems.
@ 2009-09-17  7:53 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-09-17  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear javier Martin,

In message <eedb5540909170031k7b9076eeo8d4f60c799f1a27c@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> I have tried u-boot for the imx27lite board from LogicPD which is
> currently in u-boot-arm repository and I have experienced some
> stability problems:
> - Sometimes the system gets stuck in serial_getc() from serial_mxc.c
> driver when printing information (ex. mii read ).
> - Pings do not work properly, the system gets stuck in fec_send()
> function waiting always for a frame to be sent (which actually does
> not happen).
> - Sometimes the system gets stuck when saving the environment to flash
> 'saveenv', but other times it does it well.

We don't see any such issues on the board we have here in the lab.

> I would like to help to solve this problems, but I don't know exactly
> where to begin from. I have been reviewing clock settings. Could this
> be happening because this board is using 32KHz xtal as reference
> instead of 26MHz one?

Yes, of course this could be a problem. Is this an original LogicPD
board?  Did you adapt the code for the different clock speed? What
exactly did you change?

> Have you experienced these problems also?

No, we didn't.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Monday is an awful way to spend one seventh of your life.

* [U-Boot] imx27lite stability problems.
@ 2009-09-17  8:12   ` javier Martin
From: javier Martin @ 2009-09-17  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

2009/9/17 Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>:
> Dear javier Martin,
>
> In message <eedb5540909170031k7b9076eeo8d4f60c799f1a27c@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>> I have tried u-boot for the imx27lite board from LogicPD which is
>> currently in u-boot-arm repository and I have experienced some
>> stability problems:
>> - Sometimes the system gets stuck in serial_getc() from serial_mxc.c
>> driver when printing information (ex. mii read ).
>> - Pings do not work properly, the system gets stuck in fec_send()
>> function waiting always for a frame to be sent (which actually does
>> not happen).
>> - Sometimes the system gets stuck when saving the environment to flash
>> 'saveenv', but other times it does it well.
>
> We don't see any such issues on the board we have here in the lab.
>
>> I would like to help to solve this problems, but I don't know exactly
>> where to begin from. I have been reviewing clock settings. Could this
>> be happening because this board is using 32KHz xtal as reference
>> instead of 26MHz one?
>
> Yes, of course this could be a problem. Is this an original LogicPD
> board? ?Did you adapt the code for the different clock speed? What
> exactly did you change?

Sorry, I am not trying it on an original LogicPD board. Our board is
based in i.mx27 ipcam. We have a different phy which is in 0x0 address
instead of 0x1F and we have also a different NOR flash model. We have
also the external 32KHz xtal at 32.768 KHz.

- The init code for our sdram is different as we have different model
and memory configuration, however I made a memory test and all seems
fine.
- I adapted NOR flash configuration and PHY_ADDRESS only, and
experienced the previous problems. I could expect issues with NOR
flash but I don't know why I could have any issue with ethernet.

@ 2009-09-17 15:38     ` javier Martin
From: javier Martin @ 2009-09-17 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

I've found some problems because the cache is enabled, I don't see any
place where you disable it.

Are you sure you have this controlled properly?

--

@ 2009-09-17 15:55       ` Fred Fan
From: Fred Fan @ 2009-09-17 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Javier Martin:

2009/9/17, javier Martin <javier.martin@vista-silicon.com>:

> I've found some problems because the cache is enabled, I don't see any
> place where you disable it.
> [Fred] Do you means D-cache is enabled? There are no mmu enabled, D-cache
> should be disabled as default setting.

IAre you sure you have this controlled properly?

@ 2009-09-18  6:31         ` javier Martin
From: javier Martin @ 2009-09-18  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

2009/9/17 Fred Fan <fanyefeng@gmail.com>:
> Dear Javier Martin:
>
> 2009/9/17, javier Martin <javier.martin@vista-silicon.com>:
>>
>> I've found some problems because the cache is enabled, I don't see any
>> place where you disable it.
>> [Fred] Do you means D-cache is enabled? There are no mmu enabled, D-cache
>> should be disabled as default setting.

This is what I also though but I found it making some debugging
through JTAG + GDB.

As I stated in my first mail, FEC driver was getting stuck after
transmitting a frame in a while() loop. However, using wireshark the
frame had actually been sent. And using GDB I found that in the SDRAM
the while() condition was true, nevertheless the microprocessor was
evaluating it as false. That seemed to cache issues to me, so I put a
"dcache_disable()" just before that while() loop and saw that these
problems were not happening anymore.

What is your opinion?
Thanks.

--

@ 2009-10-16 13:33   ` javier Martin
From: javier Martin @ 2009-10-16 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

2009/9/17 Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>:
> Dear javier Martin
>
>> I would like to help to solve this problems, but I don't know exactly
>> where to begin from. I have been reviewing clock settings. Could this
>> be happening because this board is using 32KHz xtal as reference
>> instead of 26MHz one?
>
> Yes, of course this could be a problem. Is this an original LogicPD
> board? ?Did you adapt the code for the different clock speed? What
> exactly did you change?

Dear Wolfgang Denk,
I could finally test this in an original LogicPD i.mx27 litekit board
and found the same problems.
System gets stuck when issuing a ping command.

- I am using u-boot-arm repository "commit
617da90c1dcf65428ddfb63fef897439950bc915" without any modifications.
- arm-linux-gcc toolchains from eldk-arm-4.1.
- I configured u-boot for i.mx27 litekit, compiled and flashed it in
the NOR with a JTAG.

Please, do you have an idea of what could I be missing?

--

@ 2009-10-16 19:53     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-10-16 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Javier Martin,

In message <eedb5540910160633o81b1ae3sf37b2a00a5474584@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I could finally test this in an original LogicPD i.mx27 litekit board
> and found the same problems.
> System gets stuck when issuing a ping command.
>
> - I am using u-boot-arm repository "commit
> 617da90c1dcf65428ddfb63fef897439950bc915" without any modifications.

Can you please use mainline, i. e. the master branch at
git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git instead?

> Please, do you have an idea of what could I be missing?

Well, there is a "Possible iMX27 intermittent Ethernet connection
issue rework" issued by LPD on 7/8/2008; in essence the PHY's
internal 1.8V core regulator may shut off at power up.

To work around this, try and implement the following two hardware
modifications:

1) Populate R841 with a 4.7K resistor. (This forces the internal core
   regulator off for the LAN8700. R841 is located on top of the PCB
   just "above" the LAN8700 IC.

2) Add a jumper wire from U125.5 to C561.1. This connects the on
   board 1.8V rail to the core ensuring that it is always powered.

And no, I don't guarantee you for anything.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to fill the time alloted it.

* [U-Boot] imx27lite stability problems.
@ 2009-10-19  7:20       ` javier Martin
From: javier Martin @ 2009-10-19  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

2009/10/16 Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>:
> Dear Javier Martin,
>
> In message <eedb5540910160633o81b1ae3sf37b2a00a5474584@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> I could finally test this in an original LogicPD i.mx27 litekit board
>> and found the same problems.
>> System gets stuck when issuing a ping command.
>>
>> - I am using u-boot-arm repository "commit
>> 617da90c1dcf65428ddfb63fef897439950bc915" without any modifications.
>
> Can you please use mainline, i. e. the master branch at
> git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git instead?
>
>> Please, do you have an idea of what could I be missing?
>
> Well, there is a "Possible iMX27 intermittent Ethernet connection
> issue rework" issued by LPD on 7/8/2008; in essence the PHY's
> internal 1.8V core regulator may shut off at power up.
>
> To work around this, try and implement the following two hardware
> modifications:
>
> 1) Populate R841 with a 4.7K resistor. (This forces the internal core
> ? regulator off for the LAN8700. R841 is located on top of the PCB
> ? just "above" the LAN8700 IC.
>
> 2) Add a jumper wire from U125.5 to C561.1. This connects the on
> ? board 1.8V rail to the core ensuring that it is always powered.

Before trying hardware fixes you suggested I tried using another
toolchain which comes with LTIB for i.mx27ads:

* I used arm-linux-gnueabi- toolchain from LTIB with the command:

USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC=yes make  CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

And found some improvements, ping doesn't hang the system, although it
fails, but the second time it is executed I get an error:

=> ping 192.168.0.40
FEC_MXC: Autonegotiation timeout
Using FEC_MXC device
ping failed; host 192.168.0.40 is not alive

=> ping 192.168.0.40

Unhandled Exception:
exception mode: abort
fsr: 0x00000008 far: 0x0000000c

**UNRECOVERABLE ERROR**
There was a memory access exception at 0x0000000c of type 'extern fetch1'
this may be due to an access to an invalid memory region,
unaligned access, or a problem with the current memory map.
Please check the memory layout section of your processor manual.
For information about the active memory map type 'info cpu'.

r00: a7e9c000 r01: 00000000 r02: 00000000 r03: 00000000
r04: a7e816f8 r05: a7e81700 r06: 00000000 r07: a7f31600
r08: a7e6ffe0 r09: 00000000 r10: 00000000 r11: 00000000
r12: a7f326f0 sp:  a7e6f270 lr:  0001a908  pc: a7f1774c
spsr:000000d3 cpsr:000000d7
bt: sp: a7e6f1a8 (stack: a00667e4 - a00697e4)
(fp:00000000->a7e6f1d0, sp:a7e6f1a8)

What toolchain are you using for compiling this? It seems I got a
different behavior changing it.

--

@ 2009-10-19  7:28         ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-10-19  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Javier Martin,

In message <eedb5540910190020t37a29377mdd5d56a6f33679af@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Before trying hardware fixes you suggested I tried using another
> toolchain which comes with LTIB for i.mx27ads:

You may want to contact LPD support; eventually they replace your
board with a working one.

> * I used arm-linux-gnueabi- toolchain from LTIB with the command:
> And found some improvements, ping doesn't hang the system, although it
> fails, but the second time it is executed I get an error:
> What toolchain are you using for compiling this? It seems I got a
> different behavior changing it.

We are using ELDK.

Your test may indicate another issue (with the tool chain). Note that
we saw different manifestations of this problem: some boards worked
perfectly fine (no error ever), others failed always, one was workign
or failing depending on temperature, phase of moon and other unknown
factors.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Intelligence without character is a dangerous thing."   - G. Steinem