* [Buildroot] sources.buildroot.net is blacklisting Tor users
@ 2020-08-26  1:10 Mukund Mcpeake
From: Mukund Mcpeake @ 2020-08-26  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Buildroot,

Your server at http://sources.buildroot.net/ is responding with an HTTP
403 error when accessed via wget over Tor.  I suspect that this is
because you've misconfigured Cloudflare; Cloudflare's default Tor
behavior is to serve a CAPTCHA to users whose HTTP client isn't Tor
Browser.  This default may make sense for standard websites, but for
servers that serve downloads that scripts will need to retrieve, the
default will be problematic.  My understanding is that you can fix this
by configuring the maximum whitelisting level (I believe it's called
"Essentially Off") for the "T1" country code in Cloudflare's UI for the
sources.buildroot.net domain.

Any chance you could fix this?  A lot of security-conscious users
(myself included) route their build systems through Tor in order to
minimize the threat of targeted attacks on our builds.

Thanks!

* [Buildroot] sources.buildroot.net is blacklisting Tor users
@ 2020-08-26 12:49 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2020-08-26 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Hi Buildroot,
 > Your server at http://sources.buildroot.net/ is responding with an HTTP
 > 403 error when accessed via wget over Tor.  I suspect that this is
 > because you've misconfigured Cloudflare; Cloudflare's default Tor
 > behavior is to serve a CAPTCHA to users whose HTTP client isn't Tor
 > Browser.  This default may make sense for standard websites, but for
 > servers that serve downloads that scripts will need to retrieve, the
 > default will be problematic.  My understanding is that you can fix this
 > by configuring the maximum whitelisting level (I believe it's called
 > "Essentially Off") for the "T1" country code in Cloudflare's UI for the
 > sources.buildroot.net domain.

The security level has been changed to "essential off". Also
notice that sources.buildroot.org (not .net) is the same server, but not
behind Cloudflare, so you can also use that instead.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] sources.buildroot.net is blacklisting Tor users
@ 2020-08-26 13:53   ` Mukund Mcpeake
From: Mukund Mcpeake @ 2020-08-26 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Peter Korsgaard:

>  > Hi Buildroot,
>  > Your server at http://sources.buildroot.net/ is responding with an HTTP
>  > 403 error when accessed via wget over Tor.  I suspect that this is
>  > because you've misconfigured Cloudflare; Cloudflare's default Tor
>  > behavior is to serve a CAPTCHA to users whose HTTP client isn't Tor
>  > Browser.  This default may make sense for standard websites, but for
>  > servers that serve downloads that scripts will need to retrieve, the
>  > default will be problematic.  My understanding is that you can fix this
>  > by configuring the maximum whitelisting level (I believe it's called
>  > "Essentially Off") for the "T1" country code in Cloudflare's UI for the
>  > sources.buildroot.net domain.
>
> The security level has been changed to "essential off". Also
> notice that sources.buildroot.org (not .net) is the same server, but not
> behind Cloudflare, so you can also use that instead.

Thanks, I can confirm that it works with wget over Tor now.  The quick
fix is very much appreciated.