* Partitioning SD cards
@ 2019-10-14 12:13 Andy Pont
From: Andy Pont @ 2019-10-14 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

I am working on a custom platform where U-Boot will be programmed into
an SPI NOR flash device and the ext4 file systems will be in a removable
microSD card.  The Linux kernel itself will be stored in the /boot
directory of the root file system.

The customer wants the (16GB) microSD card formatted as 1GB to mount at
/ and the remaining 15GB mounted as /home.

In the recipe for my image I have defined the following to try to create
a suitable image for writing to the microSD card:

IMAGE_FSTYPES_append = " wic"
IMAGE_ROOTFS_SIZE = “1048576”

The image file that is being created is bigger than 1GB even though the
root file system is only a little over 450MB.  Looking at the contents
of what gets written to the microSD card this looks as though it is, in
part, because it also includes the ~20MB “boot” partition containing the
boot files.

A couple of questions…

How do I stop the wic generation process including the FAT formatted
“boot” partition?

What is the best strategy for partitioning / formatting / mounting the
second partition as /home?  Should it be part of the image build process
or a one-time task run at first boot?

-Andy.

* Re: Partitioning SD cards
@ 2019-10-14 12:31 ` Maciej Pijanowski
From: Maciej Pijanowski @ 2019-10-14 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Pont, yocto

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1863 bytes --]

On 14.10.2019 14:13, Andy Pont wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a custom platform where U-Boot will be programmed into
> an SPI NOR flash device and the ext4 file systems will be in a
> removable microSD card.  The Linux kernel itself will be stored in the
> /boot directory of the root file system.
>
> The customer wants the (16GB) microSD card formatted as 1GB to mount
> at / and the remaining 15GB mounted as /home.
>
> In the recipe for my image I have defined the following to try to
> create a suitable image for writing to the microSD card:
>
> IMAGE_FSTYPES_append = " wic"
> IMAGE_ROOTFS_SIZE = “1048576”
>
> The image file that is being created is bigger than 1GB even though
> the root file system is only a little over 450MB.  Looking at the
> contents of what gets written to the microSD card this looks as though
> it is, in part, because it also includes the ~20MB “boot” partition
> containing the boot files.
>
> A couple of questions…
>
> How do I stop the wic generation process including the FAT formatted
> “boot” partition?
This depends on the wic (.wks) file you are using.

> What is the best strategy for partitioning / formatting / mounting the
> second partition as /home?  Should it be part of the image build
> process or a one-time task run at first boot?
Use --exclude-path and --rootfs-dir flags in the .wks file.
You can look at my example, where I extract one subdir from rootfs
(/storage in this case) on a separate partition.
https://github.com/3mdeb/meta-rte/blob/master/wic/sunxi-mmc-spl.wks

The rootfs parts should be named somewhere, like in distro config:
https://github.com/3mdeb/meta-rte/blob/master/conf/distro/rte.conf#L50

--
Maciej Pijanowski
Embedded Systems Engineer

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 4088 bytes --]

* Re: Partitioning SD cards
@ 2019-10-14 12:53   ` Andy Pont
From: Andy Pont @ 2019-10-14 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej Pijanowski; +Cc: yocto

Maciej wrote...

>>How do I stop the wic generation process including the FAT formatted
>>“boot” partition?
>This depends on the wic (.wks) file you are using.
I have been using the default one (sdimage-bootpart.wks)?

>>What is the best strategy for partitioning / formatting / mounting the
>>second partition as /home?  Should it be part of the image build
>>process or a one-time task run at first boot?
>Use --exclude-path and --rootfs-dir flags in the .wks file.
>You can look at my example, where I extract one subdir from rootfs
>(/storage in this case) on a separate partition.
>https://github.com/3mdeb/meta-rte/blob/master/wic/sunxi-mmc-spl.wks
I have created a “wic” directory in my custom layer and copied
sdimage-bootpart.wks into it as sdimage-project.wks without making any
changes but “wic list image” throws an error with the new .wks file:

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xb0 in position 37:
invalid start byte

-Andy.

* Re: Partitioning SD cards
@ 2019-10-14 13:26     ` Andy Pont