* [Buildroot] Python 2.7 end of life on January 1, 2020
@ 2019-03-01 18:54 Thomas Petazzoni
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2019-03-01 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

Through a LWN.net article, I recently realized that Python 2.7 will see
its end of life on January 1, 2020, according to:

  https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/

You also have a fancy countdown at:

  https://pythonclock.org/

This means that our 2020.02 LTS release probably should not have Python
2.x anymore ?

If that's our decision, then we should probably discuss the deprecation
path we want to follow to strongly warn users that they should migrate
away from Python 2.x.

What do people think about this ?

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] Python 2.7 end of life on January 1, 2020
@ 2019-03-02  7:58 ` Bernd Kuhls
From: Bernd Kuhls @ 2019-03-02  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Am Fri, 01 Mar 2019 19:54:04 +0100 schrieb Thomas Petazzoni:

> If that's our decision, then we should probably discuss the deprecation
> path we want to follow to strongly warn users that they should migrate
> away from Python 2.x.

Hi Thomas,

one package using python2 is kodi. Buildroot currently provides version
17.6, the current upstream release 18.1 is not packaged yet for buildroot
but it still depends on python2.

Upstream plans to move to python3 in their next 19.x release:
https://kodi.wiki/view/
General_information_about_migration_to_Python_3#The_Process

The python3-based version is already available for testing in a feature
branch on github: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/compare/feature_python3
but no release date is known atm.

Regards, Bernd

* [Buildroot] Python 2.7 end of life on January 1, 2020
@ 2019-03-02 20:12 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2019-03-02 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Hello,
 > Through a LWN.net article, I recently realized that Python 2.7 will see
 > its end of life on January 1, 2020, according to:

 >   https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/

 > You also have a fancy countdown at:

 >   https://pythonclock.org/

 > This means that our 2020.02 LTS release probably should not have Python
 > 2.x anymore ?

Yes, it is too late to change for 2019.02, but 2020.02 should probably
not include it unless somebody else steps up and maintains it when it
goes EOL.

 > If that's our decision, then we should probably discuss the deprecation
 > path we want to follow to strongly warn users that they should migrate
 > away from Python 2.x.

Hasn't that been the published statement by the upstream Python
developers ever since 3.x was released 10 years ago? I am not sure what
else we could/should do, besides perhaps mentioning it in the 2019.02
release notes?

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] Python 2.7 end of life on January 1, 2020
@ 2019-03-04  7:20 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2019-03-04  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 01/03/2019 19:54, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Through a LWN.net article, I recently realized that Python 2.7 will see
> its end of life on January 1, 2020, according to:
>
>   https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/
>
> You also have a fancy countdown at:
>
>   https://pythonclock.org/
>
> This means that our 2020.02 LTS release probably should not have Python
> 2.x anymore ?

 I don't know. We don't usually terminate a package just because it's EOL.
Remember, we have plenty of packages with dead upstreams. Or take Qt 5.6 for
example: it's been EOL for how long now?

 In addition, as opposed to Qt5.6 for example, distros (Debian and Redhat) will
keep on maintaining it for a few years still.

 So I'd say: as long as it doesn't cause breakage, keep it. Definitely as long
as there are other packages depending on it (Kodi...).

 I expect we'll remove it some time during 2020 to make sure it's no longer in
the 2021.02 LTS.

 Regards,
 Arnout

@ 2019-03-04 13:05   ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2019-03-04 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 >> This means that our 2020.02 LTS release probably should not have Python
 >> 2.x anymore ?

 >  I don't know. We don't usually terminate a package just because it's EOL.
 > Remember, we have plenty of packages with dead upstreams. Or take Qt 5.6 for
 > example: it's been EOL for how long now?

Qt 5.6 _IS_ still supported, but will go EOL this month:

https://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/11/29/support-qt-5-6-lts-ends-march-2019/

Regarding Python 2.x longer term, I guess it depends on if the python
module authors will continue to support it.

 >  In addition, as opposed to Qt5.6 for example, distros (Debian and Redhat) will
 > keep on maintaining it for a few years still.

 >  So I'd say: as long as it doesn't cause breakage, keep it. Definitely as long
 > as there are other packages depending on it (Kodi...).

Agreed.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard