* persistent scsi with udev
@ 2007-02-08 12:05 Andreas Moroder
From: Andreas Moroder @ 2007-02-08 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-scsi

Hello,

we have a big problem with scsi device mapping.

We have a LSI Megaraid controller and a qlogic HBA with a attached SAN

When we boot the machine without the SAN then  the first disk on the
MEGARAID becomes \dev\sda

When we boot with the SAN attached then the first disk in the san
becomes \dev\sda and the system stop.

Is there a step by step tot availabe on how to configure the udev files
when two SCSI devices are installed in one machine ?

Thanks
Andreas

* Re: persistent scsi with udev
@ 2007-02-08 14:18 ` James Smart
From: James Smart @ 2007-02-08 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Moroder; +Cc: linux-scsi

You can see if a white paper we put together, which includes information
on tapes, can help you. There's also a small section on "boot from SAN"
which talks about configuring udev in initrd for boot devices. Although
the content references distros, it should be applicable to the kernel
generically.
http://www.emulex.com/white/hba/wp_linux26udev.pdf

-- james s

@ 2007-02-08 15:08   ` Michael Reed
From: Michael Reed @ 2007-02-08 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Moroder; +Cc: James.Smart, linux-scsi

While you didn't explicitly mention which distro you're using, some already
have udev in their initrd.  If this applies in your case, you should be able
to change the root= parameter passed to the kernel to specify your root device
via a persistent name.  For example:

	root=/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:01:03.0-scsi-0:0:1:0p1

You can do the same in your /etc/fstab for the root device.

You can ALSO change the order in which modules are loaded via /etc/modprobe.conf,
or /etc/sysconfig/kernel, or something similar for your distro, so that the driver
for your root device is always loaded first.

I hope this helps.

Mike

@ 2007-02-08 15:47     ` Andreas Moroder
From: Andreas Moroder @ 2007-02-08 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-scsi

Michael Reed schrieb:
> While you didn't explicitly mention which distro you're using, some already
> have udev in their initrd.  If this applies in your case, you should be able
> to change the root= parameter passed to the kernel to specify your root device
> via a persistent name.  For example:
>
> 	root=/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:01:03.0-scsi-0:0:1:0p1
>
> You can do the same in your /etc/fstab for the root device.
>
> You can ALSO change the order in which modules are loaded via /etc/modprobe.conf,
> or /etc/sysconfig/kernel, or something similar for your distro, so that the driver
> for your root device is always loaded first.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Mike

hello Mike,

we use SLES 10.
The direct path is THE solution.

@ 2007-02-08 15:48   ` Andreas Moroder
From: Andreas Moroder @ 2007-02-08 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-scsi

James Smart schrieb:
> You can see if a white paper we put together, which includes information
> on tapes, can help you. There's also a small section on "boot from SAN"
> which talks about configuring udev in initrd for boot devices. Although
> the content references distros, it should be applicable to the kernel
> generically.
> http://www.emulex.com/white/hba/wp_linux26udev.pdf

Hello James,

I know the emulex white paper, but it was a little bit unclear to me.

Thanks
Andreas

P.S.: Is Smart really your surname or does it only describe how you are ?