* [RFC] code sprints or focus-weeks
@ 2007-01-02 12:13 Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2007-01-02 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Using the OpenEmbedded metadata to build Linux Distributions

* Re: [RFC] code sprints or focus-weeks
@ 2007-01-02 13:36 ` Rolf Leggewie
From: Rolf Leggewie @ 2007-01-02 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Koen Kooi wrote:

> Looking at the development of OE the last year it seems that major improvements were
> either sponsored (o-hand dudes, google SoC) or by people with supernatural focus (Holger).

good time to step back and take a look at HOW things are getting done.

> what do you think?

I think this is a great idea.

I hope you do not mind if I add another; Set up a good system for
accepting bounties.  OE is getting more and more widely used, I think
there would be some revenue there.  I believe it might make sense to use
an external site/tool for managing the bounties or at least learn from
how they process it.  What do you think?

* Re: [RFC] code sprints or focus-weeks
@ 2007-01-12 21:36   ` Marcin Juszkiewicz
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcin Juszkiewicz @ 2007-01-12 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Dnia wtorek, 2 stycznia 2007 14:36, Rolf Leggewie napisał:
> Koen Kooi wrote:

> > Looking at the development of OE the last year it seems that major
> > improvements were either sponsored (o-hand dudes, google SoC) or by
> > people with supernatural focus (Holger).
>
> good time to step back and take a look at HOW things are getting done.

> > what do you think?
>
> I think this is a great idea.

I think that too - especially packaged-staging is a thing which will help
us improve starting point for external developers.

> I hope you do not mind if I add another; Set up a good system for
> accepting bounties.  OE is getting more and more widely used, I think
> there would be some revenue there.  I believe it might make sense to
> use an external site/tool for managing the bounties or at least learn
> from how they process it.  What do you think?

Good idea - can you do some research and check some of such sites?

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

           Q:      What's a light-year?
           A:      One-third less calories than a regular year.

* Re: [RFC] code sprints or focus-weeks
@ 2007-01-12 21:47     ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2007-01-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: [RFC] code sprints or focus-weeks
@ 2007-01-12 23:16     ` Rolf Leggewie
From: Rolf Leggewie @ 2007-01-12 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

>> I hope you do not mind if I add another; Set up a good system for
>> accepting bounties.

> Good idea - can you do some research and check some of such sites?

I already did.

<q http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/14385>
http://www.opensourcexperts.com/
https://launchpad.net/bounties/
http://bountycounty.org/
https://www.bountysource.com/
http://donorge.org/
</q>

None of them were a clear winner, though.

* Re: [RFC] code sprints or focus-weeks
@ 2007-01-12 23:28       ` Rolf Leggewie
From: Rolf Leggewie @ 2007-01-12 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Rolf Leggewie wrote:

> None of them were a clear winner, though.

During my research I had also come across Nat's thoughts for a bounty
system at http://nat.org/2005/january/#bountysystem which I fully agree
with.  It seems this should not be so complicated.  I believe there are
two possible routes forward: Hack something together and self-host or
get some site such as launchpad.net to provide something usable.

I am afraid launchpad.net might take forever.  Furthermore, the software
is closed which might turn some people off (not me).  The BIG plus is
the all-encompassing approach.  Bounties are just like most things in
FOSS about critical mass and joining loose ends together.  I am afraid
that an OE-only approach might limit itself in people that can pitch in.
  There are bugs being fixed in OE that benefit non-OE users, too.  But
on the other hand, progress in launchpad.net is out of our control so
unless we can work out some kind of time-frame with such an external
site it might not be an option.

* Re: [RFC] code sprints or focus-weeks
@ 2007-01-13 20:13     ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2007-01-13 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: [RFC] code sprints or focus-weeks
@ 2007-03-10 17:22 ` Rolf Leggewie
From: Rolf Leggewie @ 2007-03-10 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Koen Kooi wrote:
> Last night I had an idea on how to get 'big' things done:
>
> Code sprints!

What happened to this idea?  When is the next (and I assume first) code
sprint?