* cryptsetup: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcryptsetup.so.12: version `CRYPTSETUP_2.4' not found error
       [not found] <etPan.624b1819.7c3954eb.74ce.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2022-04-04 16:08 ` Geza Bohus
From: Geza Bohus @ 2022-04-04 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cryptsetup

Hi all,

I had to reinstall the OS on an old raspberry pi. (The new OS is Raspberry PI 32 bit OS, most recent version.)

I have installed cryptsetup-2.4.3 as described here: https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/cryptsetup.html. (It needed a bunch of dependencies which were also installed.)

Now when I try

$ sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda1 backup

which is how it used to work, I get the error in the subject:

cryptsetup: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcryptsetup.so.12: version `CRYPTSETUP_2.4' not found (required by cryptsetup)

apt claims that I have the newest version, v2.3.7:

$ apt search libcryptsetup
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libcryptsetup-dev/stable,now 2:2.3.7-1+deb11u1 armhf [installed]
disk encryption support - development files

libcryptsetup12/stable,now 2:2.3.7-1+deb11u1 armhf [installed]
disk encryption support - shared library

What am I missing? Thanks for any help.
Geza

* Re: cryptsetup: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcryptsetup.so.12: version `CRYPTSETUP_2.4' not found error
@ 2022-04-04 16:26   ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2022-04-04 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geza Bohus, cryptsetup

On 04/04/2022 18:08, Geza Bohus wrote:

> I have installed cryptsetup-2.4.3 as described here:
>
> apt claims that I have the newest version, v2.3.7:

Do you see the difference in versions?

You just cannot have old libcryptsetup with a new command line tool.

Either install everything from the distro repository, or install everything directly from upstream,
but you cannot combine versions this way.
(Here new commandline tools depend on new API calls that are not in the old libceryptsetup.)

Better do not compile it yourself, use distro provided versions.

Milan

* Re: cryptsetup: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcryptsetup.so.12: version `CRYPTSETUP_2.4' not found error
@ 2022-04-04 16:41     ` Geza Bohus
From: Geza Bohus @ 2022-04-04 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Broz, cryptsetup

Hi Milan,

Thanks for your reply. Of course I saw the problem with the versions, I just don't understand how it can require a newer version than what apt claims to be the latest.

If I understand correctly, you're suggesting to do

sudo apt install cryptsetup

Right?

Thanks,

Geza

@ 2022-04-04 17:07       ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2022-04-04 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geza Bohus, cryptsetup development

On 04/04/2022 18:41, Geza Bohus wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. Of course I saw the problem with the versions, I just don't understand how it can require a newer version than what apt claims to be the latest.
>
> If I understand correctly, you're suggesting to do
>
> sudo apt install cryptsetup

Basically, yes.

You have somewhere in PATH new cryptsetup tool, but in lib dir old libcryptsetup.

(If you installed it manually, it can by in various non-standard locations, so
the best is check "which cryptsetup" (or "type -p cryptsetup") and remove it
from there manually, then reinstall the version from your distribution.

Usually we are backward compatible, but it is really not a good idea to combine
different version of libcryptsetup and cryptsetup.

(IOW what you see is the "correct" error caused by library symbols versioning
to prevent a malfunction :-)

Milan

* Re: cryptsetup: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcryptsetup.so.12: version `CRYPTSETUP_2.4' not found error
@ 2022-04-04 17:31         ` Geza Bohus
From: Geza Bohus @ 2022-04-04 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Broz, cryptsetup development

Got it, thank you.