* Ext3: changes to increase the speed?
@ 2007-04-01 15:11 Eriberto
From: Eriberto @ 2007-04-01 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel

Hello all,

I tested ext3 performance recently and the results were very good. I
used a script to create 40.000 files into ext3 partition and the speed
was 4 seconds. One year before, the result was 55 seconds. Which the
cause of this speed increase?

PS: I used Debian Etch.

Thanks in advance!

Eriberto - Brazil

* Re: Ext3: changes to increase the speed?
@ 2007-04-01 16:56 ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2007-04-01 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eriberto; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, ext3-users

On Apr 01, 2007  12:11 -0300, Eriberto wrote:
> I tested ext3 performance recently and the results were very good. I
> used a script to create 40.000 files into ext3 partition and the speed
> was 4 seconds. One year before, the result was 55 seconds. Which the
> cause of this speed increase?

Likely the mke2fs is enabling the "dir_index" feature by default now.  This
shows dramatic performance improvements with > 10000 files per directory.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer

* Re: Ext3: changes to increase the speed?
@ 2007-04-02  2:51 ` coly
From: coly @ 2007-04-02  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eriberto; +Cc: linux-fsdevel

Eriberto:

Which mode do you use for mount (data=writeback, data=ordered, or
data=journal) ?  I tested to create 1000,000 files in a directory
mounted with data=journal option, on a 24GB 7200rpm IDE harddisk, it
spent me more then 7 hours.

Best regards.

Coly

在 2007-04-01日的 12:11 -0300,Eriberto写道:
> Hello all,
>
> I tested ext3 performance recently and the results were very good. I
> used a script to create 40.000 files into ext3 partition and the speed
> was 4 seconds. One year before, the result was 55 seconds. Which the
> cause of this speed increase?
>
> PS: I used Debian Etch.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Eriberto - Brazil
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-fsdevel" in

-

* Re: Ext3: changes to increase the speed?
@ 2007-04-02 10:22   ` Eriberto
From: Eriberto @ 2007-04-02 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fsdevel

Hi! I used ordered mode on a Sempron 3000+ / 5400 rpm.

Regards,

Eriberto - Brazil