* OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-09  6:22 Rolf Leggewie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rolf Leggewie @ 2007-04-09  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

I am pulling my hair out and losing faith in OE being a deterministic
build system.  As documented in bug 1568, I have not been able to build
nunome for about half a year now.  When I asked hrw for help in fixing
it , I was quite surprised for him to come back and say "Built fine for
me". This success was later repeated by psokolovsky.  Alas, I can't.

In my futile attempts on finding where I screwed this up, I further and
further "virginized" my OE installation until I reinstalled, but even
that did not help (going by GettingStarted here).

   1. openembedded-essential has long since been installed
   2. rm -Rf ~/oe && mkdir -p ~/oe/build/conf && cd ~/oe
   3. svn co
      http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/bitbake/branches/bitbake-1.8/
      bitbake
   4. wget http://www.openembedded.org/snapshots/OE.mtn.bz2
   5. bunzip2 <OE.mtn.bz2 >oe.mtn
   6. mtn --db=./OE.mtn checkout --branch=org.openembedded.dev
   7. My local.conf is absolutely bare and unspectucular

      DL_DIR = "${HOME}/oe/sources"
      BBFILES = "${HOME}/oe/org.openembedded.dev/packages/*/*.bb"
      BBMASK = ""
      MACHINE ?= "spitz"
      DISTRO = "angstrom-2007.1-oabi"
      ENABLE_BINARY_LOCALE_GENERATION = "0"
      ASSUME_PROVIDED += "qemu-native"
      GLIBC_GENERATE_LOCALES = "en_GB.UTF-8 de_DE.UTF-8"
      IMAGE_FSTYPES = "jffs2 tar"
      PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 3"
      BBINCLUDELOGS = "yes"
      PALMTOP_USE_MULTITHREADED_QT = "yes"

   8. set up the environment with

      export PATH=/home/rolf/oe/bitbake/bin/:$PATH && export
      BBPATH=/home/rolf/oe/build/:/home/rolf/oe/org.openembedded.dev/

   9. "bitbake qte-mt && bitbake nunome" then fails with the same old
      error of "undefined reference to `main'" as always ->
      http://bugs.openembedded.org/attachment.cgi?id=1335

Now, I really wonder what causes this virgin build to fail for me when
it seems everybody else can happily build it?  Is OE not deterministic?
Hints and discussion welcome.

Regards

Rolf

* Re: OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-09 16:52 ` Justin Patrin
From: Justin Patrin @ 2007-04-09 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On 4/8/07, Rolf Leggewie <no2spam@nospam.arcornews.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am pulling my hair out and losing faith in OE being a deterministic
> build system.  As documented in bug 1568, I have not been able to build
> nunome for about half a year now.  When I asked hrw for help in fixing
> it , I was quite surprised for him to come back and say "Built fine for
> me". This success was later repeated by psokolovsky.  Alas, I can't.
>
> In my futile attempts on finding where I screwed this up, I further and
> further "virginized" my OE installation until I reinstalled, but even
> that did not help (going by GettingStarted here).
>
>    1. openembedded-essential has long since been installed
>    2. rm -Rf ~/oe && mkdir -p ~/oe/build/conf && cd ~/oe
>    3. svn co
>       http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/bitbake/branches/bitbake-1.8/
>       bitbake
>    4. wget http://www.openembedded.org/snapshots/OE.mtn.bz2
>    5. bunzip2 <OE.mtn.bz2 >oe.mtn

Do you do an "mtn --db=./OE.mtn pull openembedded.org
org.openembedded.dev" here?

>    6. mtn --db=./OE.mtn checkout --branch=org.openembedded.dev
>    7. My local.conf is absolutely bare and unspectucular
>
>       DL_DIR = "${HOME}/oe/sources"
>       BBFILES = "${HOME}/oe/org.openembedded.dev/packages/*/*.bb"
>       BBMASK = ""
>       MACHINE ?= "spitz"
>       DISTRO = "angstrom-2007.1-oabi"
>       ENABLE_BINARY_LOCALE_GENERATION = "0"
>       ASSUME_PROVIDED += "qemu-native"
>       GLIBC_GENERATE_LOCALES = "en_GB.UTF-8 de_DE.UTF-8"
>       IMAGE_FSTYPES = "jffs2 tar"
>       PARALLEL_MAKE = "-j 3"
>       BBINCLUDELOGS = "yes"
>       PALMTOP_USE_MULTITHREADED_QT = "yes"
>
>    8. set up the environment with
>
>       export PATH=/home/rolf/oe/bitbake/bin/:$PATH && export
>       BBPATH=/home/rolf/oe/build/:/home/rolf/oe/org.openembedded.dev/
>
>    9. "bitbake qte-mt && bitbake nunome" then fails with the same old
>       error of "undefined reference to `main'" as always ->
>       http://bugs.openembedded.org/attachment.cgi?id=1335
>
> Now, I really wonder what causes this virgin build to fail for me when
> it seems everybody else can happily build it?  Is OE not deterministic?
> Hints and discussion welcome.

Of course it's deterministic....you do get the same error every time,
don't you? Sounds like it's a difference between your system and
everyone else's. I'll try a build myself with almost your exact
local.conf and a fully up to date .dev as well.

--
Justin Patrin

* Re: OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-09 17:50   ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2007-04-09 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Justin Patrin wrote:
>> Now, I really wonder what causes this virgin build to fail for me when
>> it seems everybody else can happily build it?  Is OE not deterministic?
>> Hints and discussion welcome.
>>

> Of course it's deterministic....you do get the same error every time,
> don't you? Sounds like it's a difference between your system and
> everyone else's. I'll try a build myself with almost your exact
> local.conf and a fully up to date .dev as well.

I've had trouble in the past with autoconf detecting software installed
on the build machine and using those paths for the OE build. This was
caused by bad m4 macros that OE could not account for. I fixed the
autoconf and solved the problem. Read the logs of the failed package and
see if it is using headers from the machine you are building on.

Philip

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3303 bytes --]

* Re: OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-09 21:53 ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2007-04-09 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 15:22 +0900, Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> I am pulling my hair out and losing faith in OE being a deterministic
> build system.  As documented in bug 1568, I have not been able to build
> nunome for about half a year now.  When I asked hrw for help in fixing
> it , I was quite surprised for him to come back and say "Built fine for
> me". This success was later repeated by psokolovsky.  Alas, I can't.
[...]
>    9. "bitbake qte-mt && bitbake nunome" then fails with the same old
>       error of "undefined reference to `main'" as always ->
>       http://bugs.openembedded.org/attachment.cgi?id=1335

FWIW, I tried bitbake qte-mt and then bitbake nunome and it succeeded
for me.

> Now, I really wonder what causes this virgin build to fail for me when
> it seems everybody else can happily build it?  Is OE not deterministic?
> Hints and discussion welcome.

OE is deterministic but it does to some degree depend the environment
your building within too. Whilst we go to lengths to remove that from
the equation, it does sometimes creep in. You need to debug that build
failure, looking particularly to something creeping in from your build
system...

Regards,

Richard

* Re: OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-09 22:15   ` Justin Patrin
From: Justin Patrin @ 2007-04-09 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 4/9/07, Richard Purdie <rpurdie@rpsys.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 15:22 +0900, Rolf Leggewie wrote:
> > I am pulling my hair out and losing faith in OE being a deterministic
> > build system.  As documented in bug 1568, I have not been able to build
> > nunome for about half a year now.  When I asked hrw for help in fixing
> > it , I was quite surprised for him to come back and say "Built fine for
> > me". This success was later repeated by psokolovsky.  Alas, I can't.
> [...]
> >    9. "bitbake qte-mt && bitbake nunome" then fails with the same old
> >       error of "undefined reference to `main'" as always ->
> >       http://bugs.openembedded.org/attachment.cgi?id=1335
>
> FWIW, I tried bitbake qte-mt and then bitbake nunome and it succeeded
> for me.

As I said in a comment on the bug earlier, "me too". I even used your
local.conf (with paths fixed) and it built fine for me. Whether or not
it's useful I don't know.

> > Now, I really wonder what causes this virgin build to fail for me when
> > it seems everybody else can happily build it?  Is OE not deterministic?
> > Hints and discussion welcome.
>
> OE is deterministic but it does to some degree depend the environment
> your building within too. Whilst we go to lengths to remove that from
> the equation, it does sometimes creep in. You need to debug that build
> failure, looking particularly to something creeping in from your build
> system...

I'll second that. You need to figure out where your host is creeping
into OE and fix that. If it's an option you could try switching host
distros or releases, trying chroot, using another computer, or just
dig in and figure out what's going on. The .log files in the temp/
directory for nunome may be of help.

--
Justin Patrin

* Re: OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-10 13:02     ` José Bernardo Bandos Rodrigues
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: José Bernardo Bandos Rodrigues @ 2007-04-10 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Are you by any chance using ubuntu? If so, do a "sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash"
and stop it replacing /bin/sh.
That was the reason for most of the problems I had with oe, including a
couple of "undefined reference to main".

@ 2007-04-10 14:39       ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2007-04-10 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 14:02 +0100, José Bernardo Bandos Rodrigues wrote:
> Are you by any chance using ubuntu? If so, do a "sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash"
> and stop it replacing /bin/sh.
> That was the reason for most of the problems I had with oe, including a
> couple of "undefined reference to main".

Can someone make sanity.bbclass detect dash and exit with a
warning/error? :)

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-10 14:46         ` Sergey Lapin
From: Sergey Lapin @ 2007-04-10 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: openembedded-devel

Hi, all!

Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 14:02 +0100, José Bernardo Bandos Rodrigues wrote:
>> Are you by any chance using ubuntu? If so, do a "sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash"
>> and stop it replacing /bin/sh.
>> That was the reason for most of the problems I had with oe, including a
>> couple of "undefined reference to main".
>
> Can someone make sanity.bbclass detect dash and exit with a
> warning/error? :)

Probably better is to make bash-native and depend on it?
(or ash)
Just curious.

S.

* Re: OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-10 14:58           ` Mike (mwester)
From: Mike (mwester) @ 2007-04-10 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

>> Can someone make sanity.bbclass detect dash and exit with a
>> warning/error? :)
>
> Probably better is to make bash-native and depend on it?
> (or ash)
> Just curious.

Ack! OE already builds a lot of stuff natively -- there's no need to slow
builds done even more by building something natively that one should be able
to presume exists on every reasonable build machine.  I think if a build
machine has gcc, it shouldn't be too much more difficult to expect a working
bash as well, IMO.

Mike (mwester)

* Re: OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-10 15:14             ` Paul Sokolovsky
From: Paul Sokolovsky @ 2007-04-10 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike (mwester); +Cc: openembedded-devel

Hello Mike,

>>> Can someone make sanity.bbclass detect dash and exit with a
>>> warning/error? :)
>>
>> Probably better is to make bash-native and depend on it?
>> (or ash)
>> Just curious.

> Ack!

  I bet you meant "Nak!".

> OE already builds a lot of stuff natively -- there's no need to slow
> builds done even more by building something natively that one should be able
> to presume exists on every reasonable build machine.  I think if a build
> machine has gcc, it shouldn't be too much more difficult to expect a working
> bash as well, IMO.

  Sure, it makes no sense to *depend* on them. But it would make sense
to still has comprehensive set of *-native recipes, and make sanity.bb
to be smart enough to suggest user that one could build *-native thing
manually as one way to resolve missing build-time dependency. (No, I
don't think that sanity.bb should be smartass and build missing things
itself - user should request that explicitly).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml@gmail.com

* Re: OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-10 18:30 ` Leon Woestenberg
From: Leon Woestenberg @ 2007-04-10 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Rolf,

On 4/9/07, Rolf Leggewie <no2spam@nospam.arcornews.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am pulling my hair out and losing faith in OE being a deterministic
> build system.

I have to second this concern, although I agree that it's probably all
host related (or timing related, such as the quilt-native issue when
multithreading bb tasks).

What I would like to see more, is that we help find these
creeping-in-dependencies from the host by building eachothers builds,
or other ways to help find the remaining details.

I am currently chasing a bug that prevents me from building a bb
target on a Gentoo system, which perfectly works on Ubuntu hosts.

Both starting with the prerequisite tools and a clean source dir etc.

Regards,

Leon

* Re: OE a deterministic build system?
@ 2007-04-12  5:18       ` Rolf Leggewie
From: Rolf Leggewie @ 2007-04-12  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

José Bernardo Bandos Rodrigues wrote:
> Are you by any chance using ubuntu?

José and everybody else that participated in this discussion;thank you!
  I am on a business trip with limited access to the Internet.  Please
forgive my lack of timely responses.

Yes, I am using Ubuntu.  My version is edgy.  I have run the command
suggested and opted for dash not to provide sh.  /bin/sh is a symbolic
link on my system now (I forgot to check the state before
reconfiguration).  I will retry compilation.

Once I get back home next week, I will have more time to dig into this
if the hint from José does not yet fix things.

@ 2007-04-12  5:37       ` Rolf Leggewie
From: Rolf Leggewie @ 2007-04-12  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

José Bernardo Bandos Rodrigues wrote:
> Are you by any chance using ubuntu?

Bernardo,

the hint about dash proved to be priceless.

NOTE: package nunome-1.0.2: completed
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 414 tasks of which 395 didn't need to be
rerun and 0 failed.
NOTE: build 200704121425: completed

After reconfiguring dash, everything is fine now.  Big thank you!

As a takeaway from this episode, I guess it might make sense for OE to
check that /bin/sh is not /bin/dash as it can unstabilize the
functioning of OE.

Regards

Rolf