* Fan speed control
@ 2018-12-17 23:54 Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2018-12-17 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Team,
I am looking for “fan speed control” feature to enable for Tiogapass. I understand that there are many approaches for this. Please point me to all implementation and any details about each approach, may be some pros and cons.

Regards
-Vijay

* Re: Fan speed control
@ 2018-12-18  5:46 ` George Liu(刘锡伟)
From: George Liu(刘锡伟) @ 2018-12-18  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi Vijay

I am also learning about the fan configuration part of openbmc
There is a draft https://github.com/lxwinspur/openbmc-doc.
I hope it can be useful for you

Regards

-George

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:55 AM Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:

> Team,
>
> I am looking for “fan speed control” feature to enable for Tiogapass. I understand that there are many approaches for this. Please point me to all implementation and any details about each approach, may be some pros and cons.
>

> Regards
>
> -Vijay

* Re: Fan speed control
@ 2018-12-18 16:56   ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2018-12-18 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Liu(刘锡伟), Vijay Khemka; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 12/17/18 9:46 PM, George Liu(刘锡伟) wrote:
> Hi Vijay
>
> I am also learning about the fan configuration part of openbmc
> There is a draft https://github.com/lxwinspur/openbmc-doc.
> I hope it can be useful for you
>
> Regards
>
> -George
>
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:55 AM Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
>>
>> Team,
>>
>> I am looking for “fan speed control” feature to enable for Tiogapass. I understand that there are many approaches for this. Please point me to all implementation and any details about each approach, may be some pros and cons.

To my knowledge all recipes are here for fan control:

https://github.com/openbmc/meta-phosphor/tree/master/recipes-phosphor/fans

obmc-control-fan_git.bb - looks like a default fan speed script

obmc-phosphor-fand.bb

phosphor-fan_git.bb

phosphor-pid-control_git.bb

>> Regards
>>
>> -Vijay

* Re: Fan speed control
@ 2018-12-18 17:57   ` Sai Dasari
From: Sai Dasari @ 2018-12-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Liu(刘锡伟), Vijay Khemka; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 12/17/18, 9:47 PM, "openbmc on behalf of George Liu(刘锡伟)" <openbmc-bounces+sdasari=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of liuxiwei@inspur.com> wrote:

    Hi Vijay

    I am also learning about the fan configuration part of openbmc
    There is a draft https://github.com/lxwinspur/openbmc-doc.
    I hope it can be useful for you
Thanks Geroge! This is great info and hope you can upstream these docs for ease of finding and greatly benefit other community members.
    Regards

    -George

    On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:55 AM Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:

    > Team,
    >
    > I am looking for “fan speed control” feature to enable for Tiogapass. I understand that there are many approaches for this. Please point me to all implementation and any details about each approach, may be some pros and cons.
    >

    > Regards
    >
    > -Vijay

* Re: Fan speed control
@ 2018-12-18 18:57     ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2018-12-18 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist, George Liu(刘锡伟); +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 12/18/18, 8:59 AM, "openbmc on behalf of James Feist" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of james.feist@linux.intel.com> wrote:

    On 12/17/18 9:46 PM, George Liu(刘锡伟) wrote:
    > Hi Vijay
    >
    > I am also learning about the fan configuration part of openbmc
    > There is a draft https://github.com/lxwinspur/openbmc-doc.
    > I hope it can be useful for you
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > -George
    >
    > On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:55 AM Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Team,
    >>
    >> I am looking for “fan speed control” feature to enable for Tiogapass. I understand that there are many approaches for this. Please point me to all implementation and any details about each approach, may be some pros and cons.

    To my knowledge all recipes are here for fan control:

    https://github.com/openbmc/meta-phosphor/tree/master/recipes-phosphor/fans

Thanks James

    obmc-control-fan_git.bb - looks like a default fan speed script
I don't see any source code for this.

    obmc-phosphor-fand.bb
And for this also I am not seeing anything other than a simple while loop in obmc-phosphor-fand.c. I might be missing src file.

    phosphor-fan_git.bb

    phosphor-pid-control_git.bb

    >> Regards
    >>
    >> -Vijay

* Re: Fan speed control
@ 2018-12-18 19:02       ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2018-12-18 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka, George Liu(刘锡伟); +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 12/18/18 10:57 AM, Vijay Khemka wrote:

> On 12/18/18, 8:59 AM, "openbmc on behalf of James Feist" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of james.feist@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
>      On 12/17/18 9:46 PM, George Liu(刘锡伟) wrote:
>      > Hi Vijay
>      >
>      > I am also learning about the fan configuration part of openbmc
>      > There is a draft https://github.com/lxwinspur/openbmc-doc.
>      > I hope it can be useful for you
>      >
>      > Regards
>      >
>      > -George
>      >
>      > On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:55 AM Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
>      >>
>      >> Team,
>      >>
>      >> I am looking for “fan speed control” feature to enable for Tiogapass. I understand that there are many approaches for this. Please point me to all implementation and any details about each approach, may be some pros and cons.
>      >>

>      To my knowledge all recipes are here for fan control:
>
>      https://github.com/openbmc/meta-phosphor/tree/master/recipes-phosphor/fans
>
> Thanks James
>
>      obmc-control-fan_git.bb - looks like a default fan speed script
> I don't see any source code for this.
>
>      obmc-phosphor-fand.bb
> And for this also I am not seeing anything other than a simple while loop in obmc-phosphor-fand.c. I might be missing src file.
>
>      phosphor-fan_git.bb
>
>      phosphor-pid-control_git.bb

Since you're using Entity-Manager, you might be interested in
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-pid-control/blob/master/dbus/dbusconfiguration.cpp

>      >>
>      >>
>      >> Regards
>      >>
>      >> -Vijay

* Re: Fan speed control
@ 2018-12-18 20:13         ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2018-12-18 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist, George Liu(刘锡伟); +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

@ 2018-12-21  7:17     ` George Liu(刘锡伟)
From: George Liu(刘锡伟) @ 2018-12-21  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sai Dasari; +Cc: Vijay Khemka, OpenBMC Maillist

apologize for the late reply, we are planning to write a document for
the fan configuration.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 1:59 AM Sai Dasari <sdasari@fb.com> wrote:

> On 12/17/18, 9:47 PM, "openbmc on behalf of George Liu(刘锡伟)" <openbmc-bounces+sdasari=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of liuxiwei@inspur.com> wrote:
>
>     Hi Vijay
>
>     I am also learning about the fan configuration part of openbmc
>     There is a draft https://github.com/lxwinspur/openbmc-doc.
>     I hope it can be useful for you
> Thanks Geroge! This is great info and hope you can upstream these docs for ease of finding and greatly benefit other community members.

>     Regards
>
>     -George
>
>     On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:55 AM Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
>     >
>     > Team,
>     >
>     > I am looking for “fan speed control” feature to enable for Tiogapass. I understand that there are many approaches for this. Please point me to all implementation and any details about each approach, may be some pros and cons.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Regards
>     >
>     > -Vijay

* Re: Fan speed control
@ 2019-01-08 21:35       ` Matthew Barth
From: Matthew Barth @ 2019-01-08 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vijaykhemka, sdasari, liuxiwei; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, Vijay Khemka

On 12/21/18 1:17 AM, George Liu(刘锡伟) wrote:
> apologize for the late reply, we are planning to write a document for
> the fan configuration.
>

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 1:59 AM Sai Dasari <sdasari@fb.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 12/17/18, 9:47 PM, "openbmc on behalf of George Liu(刘锡伟)" <openbmc-bounces+sdasari=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of liuxiwei@inspur.com> wrote:
>>
>>      Hi Vijay
>>
>>      I am also learning about the fan configuration part of openbmc
>>      There is a draft https://github.com/lxwinspur/openbmc-doc.
>>      I hope it can be useful for you
>> Thanks Geroge! This is great info and hope you can upstream these docs for ease of finding and greatly benefit other community members.
>
>>      Regards
>>
>>      -George
>>
>>      On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:55 AM Vijay Khemka <vijaykhemka@fb.com> wrote:
>>      >
>>      > Team,
>>      >
>>      > I am looking for “fan speed control” feature to enable for Tiogapass. I understand that there are many approaches for this. Please point me to all implementation and any details about each approach, may be some pros and cons.
>>      >
>>      >
>>      >
>>      > Regards
>>      >
>>      > -Vijay

As James pointed out, there are 3 fan control applications where 2 are
currently maintained repos.

obmc-control-fan_git.bb & obmc-phosphor-fand.bb
To my knowledge, these were the fan management reference implementations
that are no longer maintained and/or supported.

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-pid-control
(This is a configurable PID based fan control application)

https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-fan-presence
(This contains configurable fan presence, fan monitoring, and RPM/PWM
fan control applications)

The doc draft that George referenced relates to the
phosphor-fan-presence repo.

Matt

* Re: Fan speed control
@ 2019-01-08 23:11         ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-01-08 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Barth, Sai Dasari, liuxiwei; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Thanks Matt,
Currently, I am using https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-pid-control.

Regards
-Vijay

@ 2014-10-07 11:08 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-10-07 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Tapp; +Cc: yocto

Hi Chris,

On Wednesday 01 October 2014 23:53:16 Chris Tapp wrote:
> Are there any recipes compatible with generic_pc to allow the cpu and system
> fan speeds to be controlled?

Presumably lm_sensors (recipe lmsensors in meta-oe) would work for this?

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Fan speed control
@ 2014-10-01 22:53 Chris Tapp
From: Chris Tapp @ 2014-10-01 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

Are there any recipes compatible with generic_pc to allow the cpu and system fan speeds to be controlled?

--

Chris Tapp
opensource@keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!