* Working Group for Secure Boot
@ 2021-03-11 18:34 Bob Eshleman
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Bob Eshleman @ 2021-03-11 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel; +Cc: Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, piotr.krol, Olivier Lambert

Hey all,

We would like to start a working group for secure boot support in Xen
to coordinate the various interested parties and set out a plan for
the feature and its implications for the whole Xen system.

The end goal is a full implementation that restricts the interfaces
dom0 has to affect Xen, akin to Linux's lockdown LSM.  This implicates
important parts of the ABI (e.g., /dev/xen/privcmd/) and so will
require input from the greater community.

I'm not familiar with how working groups function in the Xen project,
so this email also opens the floor for suggestions as to how this might
be managed.

We'd love to hear from anyone interested in such a group and how the
community as a whole feels about such an effort.

Best regards.

---

Bobby Eshleman
SE at Vates SAS

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
@ 2021-03-12  8:05 ` Jan Beulich
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Jan Beulich @ 2021-03-12  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman
  Cc: Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, piotr.krol, Olivier Lambert, Xen-devel

On 11.03.2021 19:34, Bob Eshleman wrote:
> We would like to start a working group for secure boot support in Xen
> to coordinate the various interested parties and set out a plan for
> the feature and its implications for the whole Xen system.
>
> The end goal is a full implementation that restricts the interfaces
> dom0 has to affect Xen, akin to Linux's lockdown LSM.  This implicates
> important parts of the ABI (e.g., /dev/xen/privcmd/) and so will
> require input from the greater community.
>
> I'm not familiar with how working groups function in the Xen project,
> so this email also opens the floor for suggestions as to how this might
> be managed.
>
> We'd love to hear from anyone interested in such a group and how the
> community as a whole feels about such an effort.

I'm definitely interested, but I'm uncertain if a WG is the way to
go here. There may be a lot of corners to touch, and hence a lot
of people to consult. While it may be possible to have a pretty
large WG for this reason, it may well be better to have the
discussions on xen-devel right away, and form WGs only when more
narrow sub-aspects need sorting out.

Jan

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
@ 2021-03-12 15:12 ` Andrew Cooper
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2021-03-12 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman, Xen-devel; +Cc: George Dunlap, piotr.krol, Olivier Lambert

On 11/03/2021 18:34, Bob Eshleman wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We would like to start a working group for secure boot support in Xen
> to coordinate the various interested parties and set out a plan for
> the feature and its implications for the whole Xen system.
>
> The end goal is a full implementation that restricts the interfaces
> dom0 has to affect Xen, akin to Linux's lockdown LSM.  This implicates
> important parts of the ABI (e.g., /dev/xen/privcmd/) and so will
> require input from the greater community.
>
> I'm not familiar with how working groups function in the Xen project,
> so this email also opens the floor for suggestions as to how this might
> be managed.
>
> We'd love to hear from anyone interested in such a group and how the
> community as a whole feels about such an effort.

Count me in.  This is years and years overdue.

~Andrew

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
@ 2021-03-12 15:24 ` Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Marek Marczykowski-Górecki @ 2021-03-12 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman
  Cc: Xen-devel, Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, piotr.krol,
	Olivier Lambert, Trammell Hudson

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 10:34:02AM -0800, Bob Eshleman wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We would like to start a working group for secure boot support in Xen
> to coordinate the various interested parties and set out a plan for
> the feature and its implications for the whole Xen system.
>
> The end goal is a full implementation that restricts the interfaces
> dom0 has to affect Xen, akin to Linux's lockdown LSM.  This implicates
> important parts of the ABI (e.g., /dev/xen/privcmd/) and so will
> require input from the greater community.
>
> I'm not familiar with how working groups function in the Xen project,
> so this email also opens the floor for suggestions as to how this might
> be managed.
>
> We'd love to hear from anyone interested in such a group and how the
> community as a whole feels about such an effort.

Count me in too.

Also, I'm cc-ing Trammell, who might be interested too.

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-12 15:40 ` Daniel P. Smith
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel P. Smith @ 2021-03-12 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman, Xen-devel

On 3/11/21 1:34 PM, Bob Eshleman wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We would like to start a working group for secure boot support in Xen
> to coordinate the various interested parties and set out a plan for
> the feature and its implications for the whole Xen system.
>
> The end goal is a full implementation that restricts the interfaces
> dom0 has to affect Xen, akin to Linux's lockdown LSM.  This implicates
> important parts of the ABI (e.g., /dev/xen/privcmd/) and so will
> require input from the greater community.
>
> I'm not familiar with how working groups function in the Xen project,
> so this email also opens the floor for suggestions as to how this might
> be managed.
>
> We'd love to hear from anyone interested in such a group and how the
> community as a whole feels about such an effort.
>
> Best regards.
>
> ---
>
> Bobby Eshleman
> SE at Vates SAS

Yes, please count me in since it will definitely overlap with the work I
am doing under DomB/Hyperlaunch as well as planned work under the
TrenchBoot project.

V/r,
Daniel P. Smith

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
@ 2021-03-12 16:24   ` Trammell Hudson
From: Trammell Hudson @ 2021-03-12 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Marczykowski-G??recki
  Cc: Bob Eshleman, Xen-devel, Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap,
	piotr.krol, Olivier Lambert

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 04:24:53PM +0100, Marek Marczykowski-G??recki wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 10:34:02AM -0800, Bob Eshleman wrote:
> > We would like to start a working group for secure boot support in Xen
> > to coordinate the various interested parties and set out a plan for
> > the feature and its implications for the whole Xen system.
> [...]
> > We'd love to hear from anyone interested in such a group and how the
> > community as a whole feels about such an effort.
>
> Count me in too.
>
> Also, I'm cc-ing Trammell, who might be interested too.

Thanks for the invite, Marek.

I'm also interested in discussing how to lockdown a running Xen system.
Now that the unified EFI image patches have been merged, we can boot
with a little more integrity and hopefully transfer the chain of trust
to a trustworthy system.

--
Trammell

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-12 17:06 ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2021-03-12 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman, Xen-devel; +Cc: Roman Shaposhnik

On 11/03/2021 18:34, Bob Eshleman wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We would like to start a working group for secure boot support in Xen
> to coordinate the various interested parties and set out a plan for
> the feature and its implications for the whole Xen system.
>
> The end goal is a full implementation that restricts the interfaces
> dom0 has to affect Xen, akin to Linux's lockdown LSM.  This implicates
> important parts of the ABI (e.g., /dev/xen/privcmd/) and so will
> require input from the greater community.
>
> I'm not familiar with how working groups function in the Xen project,
> so this email also opens the floor for suggestions as to how this might
> be managed.
>
> We'd love to hear from anyone interested in such a group and how the
> community as a whole feels about such an effort.
>
> Best regards.

CCing Roman as I expect he'll be interested too.

~Andrew

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-12 19:06 ` Bob Eshleman
From: Bob Eshleman @ 2021-03-12 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel
  Cc: Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, piotr.krol, Olivier Lambert,
	Trammell Hudson, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki,
	Daniel P. Smith, Jan Beulich

Awesome, it's great to see this interest.

I'll wait until early next week to give more
people a chance to pitch in, then start
bugging everybody about availability to
schedule a meeting.  I'll put together a
small agenda then to get the ball rolling.

Thanks all.

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
@ 2021-03-12 20:46   ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2021-03-12 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman
  Cc: Xen-devel, Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, Piotr Król,
	Olivier Lambert, Trammell Hudson,
	Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Daniel P. Smith, Jan Beulich

Would love to participate! What are the next steps?

Thanks,
Roman.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 11:06 AM Bob Eshleman <bobbyeshleman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Awesome, it's great to see this interest.
>
> I'll wait until early next week to give more
> people a chance to pitch in, then start
> bugging everybody about availability to
> schedule a meeting.  I'll put together a
> small agenda then to get the ball rolling.
>
> Thanks all.

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-03-13  8:38 ` Roger Pau Monné
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2021-03-13  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman
  Cc: Xen-devel, Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, piotr.krol, Olivier Lambert

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 10:34:02AM -0800, Bob Eshleman wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We would like to start a working group for secure boot support in Xen
> to coordinate the various interested parties and set out a plan for
> the feature and its implications for the whole Xen system.
>
> The end goal is a full implementation that restricts the interfaces
> dom0 has to affect Xen, akin to Linux's lockdown LSM.  This implicates
> important parts of the ABI (e.g., /dev/xen/privcmd/) and so will
> require input from the greater community.
>
> I'm not familiar with how working groups function in the Xen project,
> so this email also opens the floor for suggestions as to how this might
> be managed.
>
> We'd love to hear from anyone interested in such a group and how the
> community as a whole feels about such an effort.

Please add me, if nothing else I need to at least to figure out if
this could also be used for secure boot on FreeBSD.

Thanks, Roger.

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
@ 2021-03-16 19:42   ` Bob Eshleman
                       ` (4 more replies)
From: Bob Eshleman @ 2021-03-16 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel
  Cc: Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, piotr.krol, Olivier Lambert,
	Trammell Hudson, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki,
	Daniel P. Smith, Jan Beulich, Roger Pau Monné,
	Roman Shaposhnik

Hey everyone,

I think most who are interested have acked the thread at
this point and I've CC'd everyone (please add anyone if
I've missed them).

I'd like to suggest we have a first group call to
set out an agenda, define scope, and start identifying
the direction the project would like to go for secure
boot.

I'll prepare the call similar to how
community calls are handled, with a public cryptpad
for agenda items and such.

Which of these dates work best for you? Which absolutely
do not work?

  Mon. March 29th, 16:00 UTC
  Wed. March 31st, 16:00 UTC
  Mon. April  5th, 16:00 UTC

Given the Xen community call is at 16:00 UTC, I figure
that probably best captures our geographic spread.  Feel
free to suggest alternative dates/times if none of the
above work.

We can host the meeting on Jitsi which works quite well
from any web browser.  I'll send out a invite link when
we've decided on a suitable date and time.

Thanks.

--
Bobby Eshleman
SE at Vates SAS

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
@ 2021-03-16 20:07     ` Roman Shaposhnik
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2021-03-16 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman
  Cc: Xen-devel, Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, Piotr Król,
	Olivier Lambert, Trammell Hudson,
	Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Daniel P. Smith, Jan Beulich,
	Roger Pau Monné

WFIW: all 3 time slots work for me.

Looking forward to this!

Thanks,
Roman.

@ 2021-03-16 20:53       ` Bob Eshleman
From: Bob Eshleman @ 2021-03-16 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Shaposhnik
  Cc: Xen-devel, Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, Piotr Król,
	Olivier Lambert, Trammell Hudson,
	Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Daniel P. Smith, Jan Beulich,
	Roger Pau Monné

> WFIW: all 3 time slots work for me.
>
> Looking forward to this!
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Thanks Roman, same here!

--
Bobby Eshleman
SE at Vates SAS

* Re: Working Group for Secure Boot
@ 2021-03-16 21:21     ` Christopher Clark
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christopher Clark @ 2021-03-16 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman
  Cc: Xen-devel, Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, piotr.krol,
	Olivier Lambert, Trammell Hudson,
	Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Daniel P. Smith, Jan Beulich,
	Roger Pau Monné,
	Roman Shaposhnik

> On Mar 16, 2021, at 12:43 PM, Bob Eshleman <bobbyeshleman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone,
>
> I think most who are interested have acked the thread at
> this point and I've CC'd everyone (please add anyone if
> I've missed them).

Hi Bobby,

Please add me to your list too - this will be interesting work!

> I'd like to suggest we have a first group call to
> set out an agenda, define scope, and start identifying
> the direction the project would like to go for secure
> boot.
>
> I'll prepare the call similar to how
> community calls are handled, with a public cryptpad
> for agenda items and such.
>
> Which of these dates work best for you? Which absolutely
> do not work?
>
>  Mon. March 29th, 16:00 UTC
>  Wed. March 31st, 16:00 UTC
>  Mon. April  5th, 16:00 UTC
>
> Given the Xen community call is at 16:00 UTC, I figure
> that probably best captures our geographic spread.  Feel
> free to suggest alternative dates/times if none of the
> above work.

I appreciate the time of day choice and can be available for whichever of those is chosen.

Thanks!

Christopher

@ 2021-03-16 21:39     ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2021-03-16 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman, Xen-devel
  Cc: George Dunlap, piotr.krol, Olivier Lambert, Trammell Hudson,

On 16/03/2021 19:42, Bob Eshleman wrote:
> Which of these dates work best for you? Which absolutely
> do not work?
>
>   Mon. March 29th, 16:00 UTC
>   Wed. March 31st, 16:00 UTC
>   Mon. April  5th, 16:00 UTC

All fine by me.  Thanks,

~Andrew

@ 2021-03-16 22:03     ` Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
From: Marek Marczykowski-Górecki @ 2021-03-16 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Eshleman
  Cc: Xen-devel, Andrew Cooper, George Dunlap, piotr.krol,
	Olivier Lambert, Trammell Hudson, Daniel P. Smith, Jan Beulich,
	Roger Pau Monné,
	Roman Shaposhnik

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 12:42:26PM -0700, Bob Eshleman wrote:
> Which of these dates work best for you? Which absolutely
> do not work?
>
>   Mon. March 29th, 16:00 UTC
>   Wed. March 31st, 16:00 UTC
>   Mon. April  5th, 16:00 UTC

All three works for me, with a slight preference to either Monday.

--
Best Regards,

@ 2021-03-22 18:25     ` Bob Eshleman
From: Bob Eshleman @ 2021-03-22 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel
  Cc: Andrew Cooper, Olivier Lambert, Trammell Hudson,
	Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Daniel P. Smith, Jan Beulich,
	Roger Pau Monné,
	Roman Shaposhnik, Christopher Clark, Piotr Król

Hey all,

It looks like the following date works best:

Mon. March 29th, 16:00 UTC

The meeting place URL:

https://meet.vates.fr/xen-lockdown

Feel free to let us know if the time presents a conflict.

--
Bobby Eshleman
SE at Vates SAS