* [dm-crypt] Luks header corruption
@ 2019-05-13 14:01 Jivko Sabev
From: Jivko Sabev @ 2019-05-13 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Greetings,

The LUKS header on one of my disks got corrupted. I did not have a backup
of the header but restored the header from another LUKS drive that uses the
same keyfile as the corrupted drive. I can open the disk now but am not
able to access any data on it. Is there any way to get the data or am I out
of options?

Regards,

Jivko

* Re: [dm-crypt] Luks header corruption
@ 2019-05-13 15:18 ` Jorge Fábregas
From: Jorge Fábregas @ 2019-05-13 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi Jivko,

The keyfile is used to decrypt the "master key" stored in the header :
the actual key that encrypts & decrypts your data.  This "master key" is
generated randomly at volume creation so even though your 2 drives may
share the same passphrase or keyfile, the "master key" is different on
each one.

If you don't a backup, indeed I think you're out of options at present time.

Regards,
Jorge