* how to get AMD CPU identification information?
@ 2010-03-09 14:27 Bai Shuwei
From: Bai Shuwei @ 2010-03-09 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-assembly

Hi, ALL:
   On the Intel platform, we can use the CPUID instruction to get the
processor serial number which is the identification for the CPU. But
on the AMD platform, i find only can get the cpu family,model,
stepping. I think those information cannot identify one processor. So
how i can get the identification information for AMD processor, or how
i distinguish every AMD processor?

Thanks ALl

Bai SHuwei

--
Love other people, as same as love yourself!
Don't think all the time, do it by your hands!

E-Mail: baishuwei@gmail.com

* Re: how to get AMD CPU identification information?
@ 2010-03-09 16:36 ` Nicholas Mc Guire
From: Nicholas Mc Guire @ 2010-03-09 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bai Shuwei; +Cc: linux-assembly

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010, Bai Shuwei wrote:

> Hi, ALL:
>    On the Intel platform, we can use the CPUID instruction to get the
> processor serial number which is the identification for the CPU. But
> on the AMD platform, i find only can get the cpu family,model,
> stepping. I think those information cannot identify one processor. So
> how i can get the identification information for AMD processor, or how
> i distinguish every AMD processor?

you can get the values from the "CPUID Specifications April 2008"
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25481.pdf - basically you should be able to get all the infos you need to identify
the specifics of a processor (AMD or Intel).

you also can get the values with rdmsr - on a debian box

rtl26:~# apt-get install msr-tools
rtl26:~# modprobe msr
rtl26:~# rdmsr --decimal 16 --hexadecimal  (to read the TSC in this case)
be3163d1778

details in http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/41322.PDF  (atleast for the phenom)

you also want to grab the AMD "BIOS and Kernel Developers Guide" - there is one
for every processor - so it could be a bit painfull to figure this out for all possible processors. The one for AMD Hammer is at http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26094.PDF

HTH

hofrat

* Re: how to get AMD CPU identification information?
@ 2010-03-10  3:07   ` Bai Shuwei
From: Bai Shuwei @ 2010-03-10  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Mc Guire; +Cc: linux-assembly

--

@ 2010-03-10  3:43   ` Bai Shuwei
From: Bai Shuwei @ 2010-03-10  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Mc Guire; +Cc: linux-assembly

On 10 March 2010 00:36, Nicholas Mc Guire <der.herr@hofr.at> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010, Bai Shuwei wrote:
>
>> Hi, ALL:
>>    On the Intel platform, we can use the CPUID instruction to get the
>> processor serial number which is the identification for the CPU. But
>> on the AMD platform, i find only can get the cpu family,model,
>> stepping. I think those information cannot identify one processor. So
>> how i can get the identification information for AMD processor, or how
>> i distinguish every AMD processor?
>>

> you can get the values from the "CPUID Specifications April 2008"
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25481.pdf - basically you should be able to get all the infos you need to identify
> the specifics of a processor (AMD or Intel).

By the CPUID on the AMD system, i can get the CPU family, model,
stepping identify, and other feature identifies. I don't think those
information can not indicate an unique CPU?