* Email problems with this mailing list
@ 2017-07-29  9:42 Paul Bolton
From: Paul Bolton @ 2017-07-29  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

Whilst current 3rd party archives suggest my last mail got through,
since circa Jul 24 things have failed intermittently until Jul 27 when
no more mail is being received by me from this list.

It appears the issue is to do with validation of the DNS name of the
outbound NSA mail server in that not all the names are listed/exposed in
DNS. This then lead to a "disable" for my mailing list account; which
ironically for I got the email to which I replied.

Not sure if others may be experiencing such issues; which I guess is
more of an answer for the admins of this list - are you getting a spike
in rejects and/or account disablements?

e.g.

I will now see:

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from uphb19pa09.eemsg.mail.mil[214.24.26.83]: 450
4.7.1 <USFB19PA12.eemsg.mail.mil>: Helo command rejected: Host not
found; from=<selinux-bounces@tycho.nsa.gov> to=<paul.a.bolton@m0noc.net>
proto=ESMTP helo=<USFB19PA12.eemsg.mail.mil>

If I then use Google's DNS rather than my own so as to be sure it isn't
a local DNS issue...

nslookup USFB19PA12.eemsg.mail.mil. 8.8.8.8
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

** server can't find USFB19PA12.eemsg.mail.mil.: NXDOMAIN

others inc. but not limited to:

** server can't find USFB19PA14.eemsg.mail.mil: NXDOMAIN
** server can't find USFB19PA13.eemsg.mail.mil.: NXDOMAIN

Some do work:

Name:   upbd19pa07.eemsg.mail.mil
Address: 214.24.27.82

Name:   upbd19pa10.eemsg.mail.mil
Address: 214.24.27.85

Any thoughts on the resolution. Should I be expected to change my config
or should the NSA mail server setup be adjusted to pass these checks?

--
Paul
----

@ 2017-07-31 12:31 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2017-07-31 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Bolton, selinux

On Sat, 2017-07-29 at 10:42 +0100, Paul Bolton via Selinux wrote:
> Whilst current 3rd party archives suggest my last mail got through,
> since circa Jul 24 things have failed intermittently until Jul 27
> when
> no more mail is being received by me from this list.
>
> It appears the issue is to do with validation of the DNS name of the
> outbound NSA mail server in that not all the names are listed/exposed
> in
> DNS. This then lead to a "disable" for my mailing list account; which
> ironically for I got the email to which I replied.
>
> Not sure if others may be experiencing such issues; which I guess is
> more of an answer for the admins of this list - are you getting a
> spike
> in rejects and/or account disablements?
>
> e.g.
>
> I will now see:
>
> NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from uphb19pa09.eemsg.mail.mil[214.24.26.83]:
> 450
> 4.7.1 <USFB19PA12.eemsg.mail.mil>: Helo command rejected: Host not
> found; from=<selinux-bounces@tycho.nsa.gov> to=<paul.a.bolton@m0noc.n
> et>
> proto=ESMTP helo=<USFB19PA12.eemsg.mail.mil>
>
> If I then use Google's DNS rather than my own so as to be sure it
> isn't
> a local DNS issue...
>
> nslookup USFB19PA12.eemsg.mail.mil. 8.8.8.8
> Server:         8.8.8.8
> Address:        8.8.8.8#53
>
> ** server can't find USFB19PA12.eemsg.mail.mil.: NXDOMAIN
>
> others inc. but not limited to:
>
> ** server can't find USFB19PA14.eemsg.mail.mil: NXDOMAIN
> ** server can't find USFB19PA13.eemsg.mail.mil.: NXDOMAIN
>
> Some do work:
>
> Name:   upbd19pa07.eemsg.mail.mil
> Address: 214.24.27.82
>
> Name:   upbd19pa10.eemsg.mail.mil
> Address: 214.24.27.85
>
> Any thoughts on the resolution. Should I be expected to change my
> config
> or should the NSA mail server setup be adjusted to pass these checks?

Thanks for the report; we'll raise it with the responsible parties.
However, in the future, please report mailing list problems to
selinux-owner@tycho.nsa.gov
rather than posting to the list itself about them.