* [ALSA - driver 0001210]: Exaudio produces noise on all speakers for 5.1 channels
@ 2005-06-24 15:22 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-24 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1210>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1210
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-23-2005 23:54 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 17:22 CEST
I am using a soundblaster extigy with ALSA ver. 1.0.9b and am happy to say

that stereo sound works find and that all 6 speakers can produce some
sound.

With more than 2 channel output, I experience problems. speaker-test,
which
works for 1 and 2 channels, results in a hissing/crackling for 3,5,6
channels, which changes in pitch depending on the number of channels. For
4
channels, it loops, producing the following output

speaker-test 0.0.8

Playback device is extigy
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 4 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 96 to 8192
Period size range from 48 to 4096
Periods = 4
Buffer time size 2525
To choose buffer_size = 8192
To choose period_size = 2048
was set period_size = 2048
was set buffer_size = 8192
Unable to set hw params for playback: Invalid argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
[ The "Rate set to ..." part is repeated continuously ]

Setting my capture device to mixer, I was able to record the output with
arecord -c 6 -f dat -r 48000 /root/speaker-test-6ch.wav . The distortion
is
still present when playing the file, forcing 2 channels in aplay.

In addition to using speaker test, I tried using the route plugin to
isolate
the rear channels. When I route to any channel, I can hear the same output
on
all 5 (not sure about Woofer) channels, no matter which channel I route
to.
Here is the relevant setup:

pcm.route1      {
type            route;
slave.pcm       "extigy";
slave.channels  6;
ttable.0.0      1.0;
}

The music that I played had similar distortions like the one for speaker
test
and played considerably slower than when player with 2 channels. Again I
could record and replay the effect. The setup was slightly different in
order
to route the stereo channels to all 6 speakers.

For routing with 4 slave channels, I get a failure (as expected), this
time
with the output:

Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz,
Stereo
aplay: set_params:910: Unable to install hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 48000
PERIOD_TIME: (42666 42667)
PERIOD_SIZE: 2048
PERIOD_BYTES: 8192
PERIODS: 4
BUFFER_TIME: (170666 170667)
BUFFER_SIZE: 8192
BUFFER_BYTES: 32768
TICK_TIME: 1000

This is all the relevant bits that I can think of at the moment. Thank you
for
reading this far. If anybody thinks it is important to get the recorded
files, I am happy to sent them. I am grateful for any nudge on what I am
doing wrong with my setup.

Christoph Burger-Scheidlin

 andersin - 06-24-05 15:23
Sorry, I did not mention it. Everything with 2 speakers works fine.
Playback and Recording.

I assumed that the card did not support 4 speakers. As far as I understand
it, the channel routing mode can be used to select only 4 channels for
playback (and for that matter the routing plugin). If I run speaker-test
then the channel routing mode does turn off certain speakers when I cycle
through the different values (don't know if this is relevant though).

As far as the recording is concerned, I recorded from the "mixer" capture
setting and that should work no matter how many channels I set, shouldn't
it?

 Clemens Ladisch - 06-24-05 17:22
When you're recording with the "mixer" setting, you probably get the two
front channels.

What I meant to say above was:  if you record two channels while playing
more than two channels, the distortion should still be present in the
first two channels you've recorded.  Is it?  Could you upload a _small_
test file?

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
06-23-05 23:54 andersin       New Issue
06-24-05 09:21 Clemens LadischFile Added: alsa-lib-start-threshold-check.diff

06-24-05 09:22 Clemens LadischFile Deleted: alsa-lib-start-threshold-check.diff

06-24-05 09:23 Clemens LadischNote Added: 0005205
06-24-05 10:14 andersin       File Added: stream0.txt
06-24-05 10:16 andersin       Note Added: 0005208
06-24-05 10:25 Clemens LadischNote Added: 0005209
06-24-05 13:38 andersin       Note Added: 0005218
06-24-05 15:23 andersin       Note Edited: 0005218
06-24-05 17:22 Clemens LadischNote Added: 0005239

* [ALSA - driver 0001210]: Exaudio produces noise on all speakers for 5.1 channels
@ 2006-03-11 15:23 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2006-03-11 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1210>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1210
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-23-2005 23:54 CEST
Last Modified:              03-11-2006 16:23 CET

 andersin - 08-24-05 01:03
I am also experiencing a problem with channel assignments while playing 6
channel sound, which I posted as
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=0001364. I am not sure if
it is
related though

 andersin - 03-11-06 16:23
I have managed to get surround sound somewhat working with the card now. I
cannot use 6 channel individually but I figured out how to pass an AC3
stream to the card. This will then produce sound on all speakers.

The main issue that still remains is that speaker-test (and any other
program) sees the card as being able to do 6 channel when it really cannot
output to these channels individually. I suggest that the number of
speakers is set to 2, since this is the only setting that produces good
output on the card.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change
06-23-05 23:54 andersin       New Issue
06-24-05 09:21 Clemens LadischFile Added: alsa-lib-start-threshold-check.diff

06-24-05 09:22 Clemens LadischFile Deleted: alsa-lib-start-threshold-check.diff

06-24-05 09:23 Clemens LadischNote Added: 0005205
06-24-05 10:14 andersin       File Added: stream0.txt
06-24-05 10:16 andersin       Note Added: 0005208
06-24-05 10:25 Clemens LadischNote Added: 0005209
06-24-05 13:38 andersin       Note Added: 0005218
06-24-05 15:23 andersin       Note Edited: 0005218
06-24-05 17:22 Clemens LadischNote Added: 0005239
06-24-05 17:44 andersin       File Added: speaker-test-6ch.mp3

06-24-05 17:44 andersin       File Added: speaker-test-2ch.mp3

06-24-05 17:47 andersin       Note Added: 0005242
08-24-05 00:50 andersin       Note Added: 0005920
08-24-05 00:50 andersin       File Added: record.wav.mp3
08-24-05 01:03 andersin       Note Added: 0005922
03-11-06 16:23 andersin       Note Added: 0008418

* [ALSA - driver 0001210]: Exaudio produces noise on all speakers for 5.1 channels
@ 2005-08-23 23:03 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-08-23 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1210>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1210
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-23-2005 23:54 CEST
Last Modified:              08-24-2005 01:03 CEST

 andersin - 08-24-05 00:50
Hmm, nothing happened in a while. Reading over the comments, I think I gave
you the wrong files. I downloaded some ac3 test files and decoded them
using ac3dec -6 -D extigy. The file I uploaded is a recording of the two
front speakers.

 andersin - 08-24-05 01:03
I am also experiencing a problem with channel assignments while playing 6
channel sound, which I posted as
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=0001364. I am not sure if
it is
related though

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-08-23 22:50 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-08-23 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1210>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1210
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-23-2005 23:54 CEST
Last Modified:              08-24-2005 00:50 CEST

 andersin - 06-24-05 17:47
I added two files, each representing one complete iteration of the
speaker-test program. I hope the files are small enough.

 andersin - 08-24-05 00:50
Hmm, nothing happened in a while. Reading over the comments, I think I gave
you the wrong files. I downloaded some ac3 test files and decoded them
using ac3dec -6 -D extigy. The file I uploaded is a recording of the two
front speakers.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-24 15:47 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-24 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1210>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1210
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-23-2005 23:54 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 17:47 CEST

 andersin - 06-24-05 17:47
I added two files, each representing one complete iteration of the
speaker-test program. I hope the files are small enough.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-24 11:38 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-24 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1210>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1210
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-23-2005 23:54 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 13:38 CEST

 Clemens Ladisch - 06-24-05 10:25
This device does neither support playback with four channels, nor recording
with any other number than two channels.

Is the distortion still present in a two-channel file that you record from
"hw:X"?

 andersin - 06-24-05 13:38
Sorry, I did not mention it. Everything with 2 speakers works fine.
Playback and Recording.

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-24  8:25 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-24  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1210>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1210
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-23-2005 23:54 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 10:25 CEST

 andersin - 06-24-05 10:16
I added the output as stream0.txt. I did the same when playing 2 channel
sound, here is a diff:

--- stream0.txt 2005-06-24 09:08:40.000000000 +0100
+++ stream0-2ch.txt     2005-06-24 09:11:07.000000000 +0100
@@ -3,10 +3,10 @@
 Playback:
     Interface = 1
-    Altset = 16
+    Altset = 1
     URBs = 5 [ 4 4 4 4 4 ]
-    Packet Size = 506
-    Momentary freq = 47750 Hz (0x2f.c000)
+    Packet Size = 200
+    Momentary freq = 48000 Hz (0x30.0000)
   Interface 1
     Altset 1
     Format: S16_LE

 Clemens Ladisch - 06-24-05 10:25
This device does neither support playback with four channels, nor recording
with any other number than two channels.

Is the distortion still present in a two-channel file that you record from
"hw:X"?

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-24  8:16 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-24  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1210>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1210
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-23-2005 23:54 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 10:16 CEST

 Clemens Ladisch - 06-24-05 09:23
What are the contents of /proc/asound/cardX/stream0 while you're playing
with 6 channels?

 andersin - 06-24-05 10:16
I added the output as stream0.txt. I did the same when playing 2 channel
sound, here is a diff:

--- stream0.txt 2005-06-24 09:08:40.000000000 +0100
+++ stream0-2ch.txt     2005-06-24 09:11:07.000000000 +0100
@@ -3,10 +3,10 @@
 Playback:
     Interface = 1
-    Altset = 16
+    Altset = 1
     URBs = 5 [ 4 4 4 4 4 ]
-    Packet Size = 506
-    Momentary freq = 47750 Hz (0x2f.c000)
+    Packet Size = 200
+    Momentary freq = 48000 Hz (0x30.0000)
   Interface 1
     Altset 1
     Format: S16_LE

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-24  7:23 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-24  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

A NOTE has been added to this issue.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1210>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1210
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-23-2005 23:54 CEST
Last Modified:              06-24-2005 09:23 CEST

 Clemens Ladisch - 06-24-05 09:23
What are the contents of /proc/asound/cardX/stream0 while you're playing
with 6 channels?

Issue History
Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change

@ 2005-06-23 21:54 bugtrack
From: bugtrack @ 2005-06-23 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
<https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1210>
Reported By:                andersin
Assigned To:                Clemens Ladisch
Project:                    ALSA - driver
Issue ID:                   1210
Category:                   USB - usb-audio
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             06-23-2005 23:54 CEST
Last Modified:              06-23-2005 23:54 CEST

Date Modified  Username       Field                    Change