* will xf86-video-amdgpu is capable to drive AMD readeon Pro wx2100
@ 2019-03-12  3:14 Harinath Reddy
       [not found] ` <CAPLU1JgPzbw4rf5gACmB1muk=aPdP7Dft1C3zvf3oCdk4uVimQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Harinath Reddy @ 2019-03-12  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Present we are using the radeon HD driver from xorg to driver AMDFirMV2250
card. We would like to replace AMD FireMV2250 with AMD Radeon Pro Wx2100
card.

I saw xf86-video-amdgpu xorg driver is available, but we are not sure
whether that would be sufficient or not, if not what else require to  use
that card.  If you can help that  would be great
I am naive to the graphics world .

We are using HP_UX operating system, Xserver (Xfree86) is  as a  graphics
server.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Harianth

* Re: will xf86-video-amdgpu is capable to drive AMD readeon Pro wx2100
       [not found] ` <CAPLU1JgPzbw4rf5gACmB1muk=aPdP7Dft1C3zvf3oCdk4uVimQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-03-12  8:35   ` Michel Dänzer
       [not found]     ` <f4a8e262-ce12-9e73-50c4-4099cd5eeee7-otUistvHUpPR7s880joybQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Michel Dänzer @ 2019-03-12  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harinath Reddy; +Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 2019-03-12 4:14 a.m., Harinath Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Present we are using the radeon HD driver from xorg to driver AMDFirMV2250
> card. We would like to replace AMD FireMV2250 with AMD Radeon Pro Wx2100
> card.
>
> I saw xf86-video-amdgpu xorg driver is available, but we are not sure
> whether that would be sufficient or not, if not what else require to  use
> that card.  If you can help that  would be great
> I am naive to the graphics world .
>

> We are using HP_UX operating system, Xserver (Xfree86) is  as a  graphics
> server.

xf86-video-amdgpu requires the amdgpu kernel driver. Assuming the latter
is working with your card, the former will work (as well as the generic
modesetting Xorg driver).

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer               |              https://www.amd.com

@ 2019-03-12  9:07       ` Christian König
       [not found]         ` <c19688e9-6da9-cf1b-2a3e-e1b804457b93-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Christian König @ 2019-03-12  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Dänzer, Harinath Reddy
  Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Am 12.03.19 um 09:35 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
> On 2019-03-12 4:14 a.m., Harinath Reddy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Present we are using the radeon HD driver from xorg to driver AMDFirMV2250
>> card. We would like to replace AMD FireMV2250 with AMD Radeon Pro Wx2100
>> card.
>>
>> I saw xf86-video-amdgpu xorg driver is available, but we are not sure
>> whether that would be sufficient or not, if not what else require to  use
>> that card.  If you can help that  would be great
>> I am naive to the graphics world .
>>

>> We are using HP_UX operating system, Xserver (Xfree86) is  as a  graphics
>> server.
> xf86-video-amdgpu requires the amdgpu kernel driver. Assuming the latter
> is working with your card, the former will work (as well as the generic
> modesetting Xorg driver).

To answer the original question a bit more direct: The amdgpu kernel
driver is NOT available for HP_UX.

Regards,
Christian.

@ 2019-03-12 14:02           ` Harinath Reddy
       [not found]             ` <CAPLU1JiSujTrdXsRGzZd0c2=icVckZO4Ejg6uMXXaM3LRKp_4Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Harinath Reddy @ 2019-03-12 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: christian.koenig-5C7GfCeVMHo
  Cc: Michel Dänzer, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Hope it is different from xorg-video-radeon/hd  driver which is not require
any kernel component to drive the FireMV2250 card, except card
initialization( ATOMBIOS run from the HP-UX kernel on behalf of the xf86
request ).

If it is tightly coupled with amdgpu  kernel module, and it is again depend
on the linux kernel drm module. HP-UX is not using the drm facilities as i
am aware , so is that possible to port to hp-ux.

Thanks and Regards,
Harinath

@ 2019-03-12 14:07               ` Alex Deucher
       [not found]                 ` <CADnq5_OaOcv3Pba0qFsjHE82Ee5Yh97dzgHneOWe4BbRPrLpdg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alex Deucher @ 2019-03-12 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harinath Reddy; +Cc: Michel Dänzer, Christian Koenig, amd-gfx list

All drivers for recent hardware require a proper kernel driver.  There
have not been user mode X drivers for new AMD hardware released in the
last 7-8 years.

Alex

@ 2019-03-12 14:19                   ` Harinath Reddy
       [not found]                     ` <CAPLU1JiWQAV-pY8-Vw4j4Zw_FAyL3PKC8ii3QrGfO0xDZKLKXw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Harinath Reddy @ 2019-03-12 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher; +Cc: Michel Dänzer, Christian Koenig, amd-gfx list

If I am not confused/wrong with your information,    if I want get use of
the  xf86-video-amdgpu (UMD )   which is capable of driving GCN core cards
in hp-ux, I should
write hp-ux compatible  drm based kenel module.

Thanks,
Harinath

@ 2019-03-12 14:35                       ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2019-03-12 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harinath Reddy; +Cc: Michel Dänzer, Christian Koenig, amd-gfx list

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 10:19 AM Harinath Reddy <harinath428@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I am not confused/wrong with your information,    if I want get use of the  xf86-video-amdgpu (UMD )   which is capable of driving GCN core cards in hp-ux, I should
> write hp-ux compatible  drm based kenel module.

Correct.

Alex