* [linux-lvm] vg availability during boot
@ 2009-09-03 13:27 Eugene Vilensky
From: Eugene Vilensky @ 2009-09-03 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Greetings,

I have a host that refuses to recognize my san-attached logical
volumes during boot.  When mounting from /etc/fstab, it drops out of
boot complaining that the LVs in question have an invalid superblock
and need to be fsck-ed, however because the lv is "mounted" the fsck
cannot proceed.

I commented out the entries, rebooted, and noticed that the LVs in the
VG in question are "NOT AVAILABLE."  A vgchange -a y vgname later and
everything is working perfectly.

This is my first RHEL5 san-attached host; might I have missed some
sort of 'vg persistency' settings by doing the same things I've been
doing on RHEL4?

* RE: [linux-lvm] vg availability during boot
@ 2009-09-04 14:07 ` Larsen, Peter
From: Larsen, Peter @ 2009-09-04 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Did you rebuild initrd? During boot, initrd uses staticly linked modules to load what otherwise would be kernel modules. It does, if LVM is enabled, do a vgchange -y a as part of that process. Since LVM is part of the default initrd, it may be the drivers for your SAN that you need to get in place - remember to include the high-end Ethernet drivers too that your NAS (I presume?) uses.

--

   Peter H. Larsen
   Technical Architect

@ 2009-09-06 16:21   ` Eugene Vilensky
From: Eugene Vilensky @ 2009-09-06 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

> Did you rebuild initrd? During boot, initrd uses staticly linked modules to load what otherwise would be kernel modules. It does, if LVM is enabled, do a vgchange -y a as part of that process. Since LVM is part of the default initrd, it may be the drivers for your SAN that you need to get in place - remember to include the high-end Ethernet drivers too that your NAS (I presume?) uses.

Thank you, this seems to be exactly it, the new initrd does not have
correct qlogic modules.

-Eugene