* 5.14 regression, Intel SST (BYT) audio no longer works
@ 2021-07-17 20:59 Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2021-07-17 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart, Mark Brown, alsa-devel

Hi All,

I just noticed and I won't have time to dig any deeper for approx. the
coming 10 days. Still I wanted to report this in case anyone has any
ideas. Or maybe you can reproduce and look for a fix ?

After building + installing 5.14-rc1 on a HP Elitepad 1000 G2
(Bay Trail) with a RT5642 codec, I noticed that sound over the
speakers and over the docks line-out jack no longer works.

Downgrading to 5.13 (without any other changes) fixes this, so this
seems to be a regression with 5.14.

I've no been able to make time to test this on other BYT/CHT hardware,
but I suspect that other models will be affected too.

Regards,

Hans

* Re: 5.14 regression, Intel SST (BYT) audio no longer works
@ 2021-07-19 15:05 ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2021-07-19 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede, Mark Brown, alsa-devel

On 7/17/21 3:59 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just noticed and I won't have time to dig any deeper for approx. the
> coming 10 days. Still I wanted to report this in case anyone has any
> ideas. Or maybe you can reproduce and look for a fix ?
>
> After building + installing 5.14-rc1 on a HP Elitepad 1000 G2
> (Bay Trail) with a RT5642 codec, I noticed that sound over the
> speakers and over the docks line-out jack no longer works.
>
> Downgrading to 5.13 (without any other changes) fixes this, so this
> seems to be a regression with 5.14.
>
> I've no been able to make time to test this on other BYT/CHT hardware,
> but I suspect that other models will be affected too.

Thanks Hans for the report, will look into this.
I can't think of anything that might explain this regression.
I need to update the series to remove device properties so if the baseline is broken I'll see it as well...

* Re: 5.14 regression, Intel SST (BYT) audio no longer works
@ 2021-07-19 15:57   ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2021-07-19 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede, Mark Brown, alsa-devel

>> I just noticed and I won't have time to dig any deeper for approx. the
>> coming 10 days. Still I wanted to report this in case anyone has any
>> ideas. Or maybe you can reproduce and look for a fix ?
>>
>> After building + installing 5.14-rc1 on a HP Elitepad 1000 G2
>> (Bay Trail) with a RT5642 codec, I noticed that sound over the
>> speakers and over the docks line-out jack no longer works.
>>
>> Downgrading to 5.13 (without any other changes) fixes this, so this
>> seems to be a regression with 5.14.
>>
>> I've no been able to make time to test this on other BYT/CHT hardware,
>> but I suspect that other models will be affected too.
>
> Thanks Hans for the report, will look into this.
> I can't think of anything that might explain this regression.
> I need to update the series to remove device properties so if the baseline is broken I'll see it as well...

I don't see any issues seen on a headless CHT Zotac device with RT5640, both with v5.14-rc1 or broonie/for-next.
Maybe something else happening with e.g. ACPI or GPIOs?

* Re: 5.14 regression, Intel SST (BYT) audio no longer works
@ 2021-07-30 11:20     ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2021-07-30 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre-Louis Bossart, Mark Brown, alsa-devel

Hi,

On 7/19/21 5:57 PM, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

>>> I just noticed and I won't have time to dig any deeper for approx. the
>>> coming 10 days. Still I wanted to report this in case anyone has any
>>> ideas. Or maybe you can reproduce and look for a fix ?
>>>
>>> After building + installing 5.14-rc1 on a HP Elitepad 1000 G2
>>> (Bay Trail) with a RT5642 codec, I noticed that sound over the
>>> speakers and over the docks line-out jack no longer works.
>>>
>>> Downgrading to 5.13 (without any other changes) fixes this, so this
>>> seems to be a regression with 5.14.
>>>
>>> I've no been able to make time to test this on other BYT/CHT hardware,
>>> but I suspect that other models will be affected too.
>>
>> Thanks Hans for the report, will look into this.
>> I can't think of anything that might explain this regression.
>> I need to update the series to remove device properties so if the baseline is broken I'll see it as well...
>
> I don't see any issues seen on a headless CHT Zotac device with RT5640, both with v5.14-rc1 or broonie/for-next.
> Maybe something else happening with e.g. ACPI or GPIOs?

I guess you tested with the SOF driver? I just tested and SOF
works fine in 5.14-rc#, but SST gives no sound. And we still
default to SST due to a couple of remaining SOF issues ...

I'm investigating this further now.

Regards,

Hans