* Re: Re: [Xen-users] Max. PV and HVM Guests
@ 2009-11-09 15:06 Nick Couchman
From: Nick Couchman @ 2009-11-09 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming), Pasi Kärkkäinen
  Cc: xen-devel, xen-users, Robert Dunkley

>>> On 2009/11/09 at 05:05, Pasi Kärkkäinen<pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 08:01:00PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang
Enming)
> wrote:
>>    No, I didn't limit dom0 memory in grub.conf.
>>

> You should.

Really?  I thought current conventional wisdom was to allow Xen to
self-manage memory in both dom0 and domUs, and not to manually adjust
this?  I run several Xen systems with anywhere from 8 to 24 GB of RAM
and 20 to 30 domUs on some of these systems and have *never* specified
the dom0 memory at boot time - the Xen ballooning has always functioned
perfectly fine, and never crashed my dom0.  Furthermore, while I'm not
Linux developer and so not familiar with how Linux calculates buffering
and caching, I do know that my Linux systems dynamically manage buffers
and caches, and when memory is reduced or some application requires a
larger amount of physical memory, Linux reduces the amount of data in
buffers and caches.

Of course, a lot of this depends on what you're doing in dom0 - on my
Xen servers, my dom0 is strictly for Xen management - I'm not running
anything else in dom0 that would require large amounts of memory, memory
buffers and caches, etc.

-Nick

> If dom0 has all the memory at boot time, you need to balloon down
dom0
> memory every time you create a new guest - this can (and will) cause

> problems with the dom0 linux kernel.
>
> Linux calculates some internal parameters/buffers/values based on
the
> _boot time_ amount of memory. And when the amount of memory goes down
> only a small fraction of that while creating new guests bad things
can
> happen..
>
> It still shouldn't crash though.. I bet your problem will get fixed
when
> you limit the dom0 memory to say dom0_mem=512M and reboot.
>
> -- Pasi
>
>>    Here's my xm info output after I have shutdown all the virtual
machines.

>>    [root@fedora11-x86-64-host ~]# xm list
>>    Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs
State
>>    Time(s)
>>    Domain-0                                     0  2812     2
r-----
>>    3242.5
>>    [root@fedora11-x86-64-host ~]# xm info
>>    host                   : fedora11-x86-64-host
>>    release                : 2.6.30-rc3-enming.teo-tip
>>    version                : #1 SMP Wed Aug 19 23:14:15 SGT 2009
>>    machine                : x86_64
>>    nr_cpus                : 2
>>    nr_nodes               : 1
>>    cores_per_socket       : 2
>>    threads_per_core       : 1
>>    cpu_mhz                : 2800
>>    hw_caps                :

bfebfbff:20100800:00000000:00000140:0400e3bd:00000000:00000001:00000000
>>    virt_caps              : hvm hvm_directio
>>    total_memory           : 6039
>>    free_memory            : 3124
>>    node_to_cpu            : node0:0-1
>>    node_to_memory         : node0:3124
>>    xen_major              : 3
>>    xen_minor              : 5
>>    xen_extra              : -unstable
>>    xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p
hvm-3.0-x86_32
>>    hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
>>    xen_scheduler          : credit
>>    xen_pagesize           : 4096
>>    platform_params        : virt_start=0xffff800000000000
>>    xen_changeset          : Tue Sep 01 11:34:31 2009 +0100
> 20143:a7de5bd776ca
>>    xen_commandline        : iommu=1
>>    cc_compiler            : gcc version 4.4.1 20090725 (Red Hat
4.4.1-2)
>>    (GCC)
>>    cc_compile_by          : root
>>    cc_compile_domain      : (none)
>>    cc_compile_date        : Thu Sep 10 07:01:13 SGT 2009
>>    xend_config_format     : 4
>>
>>    --
>>    Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics)
BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
[1]http://teo-en-ming-aka-zhang-enming.blogspot.com
>>    My Secondary Blog: [2]http://enmingteo.wordpress.com
>>    My Youtube videos: [3]http://www.youtube.com/user/enmingteo
>>    Email: [4]space.time.universe@gmail.com
>>    Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618
>>    Street: Bedok Reservoir Road
>>    Country: Singapore
>>
>>    On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[5]pasik@iki.fi>
wrote:

>>      On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 06:52:37PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming
(Zhang
> Enming)
>>      wrote:
>>      >    Hi,
>>      >
>>      >    Please watch this 4-minute video at
>>      >    [1][6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbLaPpwNAx4
>>      >
>>      >    I have only started 3 HVM Linux guests with 1 GB ram each.
I can't
>>      start
>>      >    the 4th HVM guest. If I attempt to start the 4th instance,
it will
>>      crash
>>      >    dom0.
>>      >
>>      >    Are there anything in the xm dmesg output that could
explain the
>>      low limit
>>      >    to the number of VMs that I could start before dom0
becomes
>>      unresponsive?
>>      >

>>      Have you limited dom0 memory (by specifying dom0_mem=XMB option
in
>>      grub.conf for xen.gz) ?
>>
>>      What does "xm info" say about free memory before starting any
guests?
>>      -- Pasi
>>
>> References
>>
>>    Visible links
>>    1. http://teo-en-ming-aka-zhang-enming.blogspot.com/
>>    2. http://enmingteo.wordpress.com/
>>    3. http://www.youtube.com/user/enmingteo
>>    4. mailto:space.time.universe@gmail.com
>>    5. mailto:pasik@iki.fi
>>    6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbLaPpwNAx4

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.

* Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Max. PV and HVM Guests
@ 2009-11-09 15:17 ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2009-11-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Couchman
  Cc: xen-devel, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming), xen-users, Robert Dunkley

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 08:06:54AM -0700, Nick Couchman wrote:

> > On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 08:01:00PM +0800, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang
> Enming)
> > wrote:
> >>    No, I didn't limit dom0 memory in grub.conf.
> >>

> > You should.
>
> Really?  I thought current conventional wisdom was to allow Xen to
> self-manage memory in both dom0 and domUs, and not to manually adjust
> this?  I run several Xen systems with anywhere from 8 to 24 GB of RAM
> and 20 to 30 domUs on some of these systems and have *never* specified
> the dom0 memory at boot time - the Xen ballooning has always functioned
> perfectly fine, and never crashed my dom0.

Yes, Xen is totally OK with this, but dom0 Linux has more problems..

> Furthermore, while I'm not
> Linux developer and so not familiar with how Linux calculates buffering
> and caching, I do know that my Linux systems dynamically manage buffers
> and caches, and when memory is reduced or some application requires a
> larger amount of physical memory, Linux reduces the amount of data in
> buffers and caches.

Yeah, it has to do with sizing the network buffers, caches etc..

It shouldn't _crash_, so Teo is seeing some bug I believe. But it has
always been "best practice" to limit dom0 memory - and prevent weird
things happening later (like "memory squeeze in netback driver").

> Of course, a lot of this depends on what you're doing in dom0 - on my
> Xen servers, my dom0 is strictly for Xen management - I'm not running
> anything else in dom0 that would require large amounts of memory, memory
> buffers and caches, etc.

Teo is running graphical stuff, X etc so it's a bit different..

-- Pasi

@ 2009-11-09 15:18 ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2009-11-09 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Couchman, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming), Pasi Kärkkäinen
  Cc: xen-devel, xen-users, Robert Dunkley

On 09/11/2009 15:06, "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@seakr.com> wrote:

> Really?  I thought current conventional wisdom was to allow Xen to
> self-manage memory in both dom0 and domUs, and not to manually adjust
> this?  I run several Xen systems with anywhere from 8 to 24 GB of RAM
> and 20 to 30 domUs on some of these systems and have *never* specified
> the dom0 memory at boot time - the Xen ballooning has always functioned
> perfectly fine, and never crashed my dom0.  Furthermore, while I'm not
> Linux developer and so not familiar with how Linux calculates buffering
> and caching, I do know that my Linux systems dynamically manage buffers
> and caches, and when memory is reduced or some application requires a
> larger amount of physical memory, Linux reduces the amount of data in
> buffers and caches.

If you are not using dom0 as a general-purpose OS then it is a very good
idea to specify dom0's memory allowance via dom0_mem= and disable
auto-ballooning in the xend-config.sxp. There are a few reasons for this,
the most compelling being that Linux will have a metadata overhead for
tracking memory usage, and this will be a fraction (say a percent or so) of
its initial memory allocation. So, that overhead may be just 2% of 24GB,
say, but then if dom0 gets ballooned down to 1GB it'll be more like 50%!
Clearly you are limited in how far you can balloon down without risking the
OOM killer in dom0.

Apart from that, the auto-ballooner has been implicated in various quirky
bugs in the past -- failing domain creations and migrations for the most
part -- so it's nice to turn it off if you can, as that's one less thing to
fail. And if dom0 is single-purpose you should be able to work out how much
memory it needs for that purpose and statically allocate it. Using
auto-ballooner is actually perverse in this scenario, in that dom0 gets the
least memory when it needs it the most (because it presumably has highest
load when servicing the most VMs, but in that case auto-ballooner has stolen
lots of memory from dom0).

My 2c!

 -- Keir

* Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Max. PV and HVM Guests
@ 2009-11-09 15:24   ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2009-11-09 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen, Nick Couchman
  Cc: xen-devel, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming), xen-users, Robert Dunkley

On 09/11/2009 15:17, "Pasi Kärkkäinen" <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:

>> Furthermore, while I'm not
>> Linux developer and so not familiar with how Linux calculates buffering
>> and caching, I do know that my Linux systems dynamically manage buffers
>> and caches, and when memory is reduced or some application requires a
>> larger amount of physical memory, Linux reduces the amount of data in
>> buffers and caches.
>>

> Yeah, it has to do with sizing the network buffers, caches etc..
>
> It shouldn't _crash_, so Teo is seeing some bug I believe. But it has
> always been "best practice" to limit dom0 memory - and prevent weird
> things happening later (like "memory squeeze in netback driver").

The issue is not really kernel data like network buffers and buffer cache.
It is kernel memory metadata -- primarily the per-page info structure that
the kernel maintains. The metadata doesn't get shrunk with memory size when
ballooning out, hence it increases as a proportion of memory still assigned
to the domain. That really is significant when aggressively ballooning down
a large-memory domain.

 -- Keir

* Re: Re: [Xen-users] Max. PV and HVM Guests
@ 2009-11-09 15:27     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2009-11-09 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser
  Cc: Robert Dunkley, xen-devel, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming),
	xen-users, Nick Couchman

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 03:24:59PM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 09/11/2009 15:17, "Pasi Kärkkäinen" <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> >> Furthermore, while I'm not
> >> Linux developer and so not familiar with how Linux calculates buffering
> >> and caching, I do know that my Linux systems dynamically manage buffers
> >> and caches, and when memory is reduced or some application requires a
> >> larger amount of physical memory, Linux reduces the amount of data in
> >> buffers and caches.
> >>

> > Yeah, it has to do with sizing the network buffers, caches etc..
> >
> > It shouldn't _crash_, so Teo is seeing some bug I believe. But it has
> > always been "best practice" to limit dom0 memory - and prevent weird
> > things happening later (like "memory squeeze in netback driver").
>
> The issue is not really kernel data like network buffers and buffer cache.
> It is kernel memory metadata -- primarily the per-page info structure that
> the kernel maintains. The metadata doesn't get shrunk with memory size when
> ballooning out, hence it increases as a proportion of memory still assigned
> to the domain. That really is significant when aggressively ballooning down
> a large-memory domain.

Ok, thanks. That makes sense.

-- Pasi

* Re: Re: [Xen-users] Max. PV and HVM Guests
@ 2009-11-09 15:29   ` Nick Couchman
From: Nick Couchman @ 2009-11-09 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming), pasik
  Cc: xen-devel, xen-users, Robert Dunkley

Thanks for the information!  Looks like I'll be adjusting some boot-time options on my Xen servers.  I have seen a couple of issues now and then with either migration or starting a domU, but it happens once every few months at the most, and usually I blame the migration issues on a fault network connection or something like that.  I'll have to try out limiting my dom0s to 1 or 2 GB of RAM and see if those issues go away!

Thanks!
-Nick

--------

@ 2009-11-09 15:39   ` Dan Magenheimer
From: Dan Magenheimer @ 2009-11-09 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Pasi Kärkkäinen", Nick Couchman
  Cc: Robert, xen-devel, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming), xen-users, Dunkley

Hmmm... I'll bet the problem with dom0 crashing is that
dom0 is pv_ops (2.6.31-based) and this patch, which
has been in 2.6.18.8-based dom0 for some time, has never
been put into pv_ops:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-04/msg00143.html

That would explain why some people are seeing this problem
and others are not, and why setting dom0_mem seems to
solve the problem (as dom0_mem effectively shuts off
ballooning in dom0).

Nick and others, if you are interested in detail on
ballooning and improving memory utilization within
and between guests, see:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Open_Topics_For_Discussion?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Memory+Overcommit.pdf

and

http://oss.oracle.com/projects/tmem

(Tmem is in xen-unstable and in Oracle VM 2.2... it takes
a few steps to set it up.)

@ 2009-11-09 15:41     ` Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
From: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) @ 2009-11-09 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Couchman
  Cc: xen-devel, space.time.universe, Robert Dunkley, Keir Fraser, xen-users

This is the new video demo of my Rocks HPC compute cluster after I have set
dom0_mem=1024M for my Xen hypervisor.

I started all 5 nodes at one go without crashing and without sluggishness.

Please watch the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWHIImVBr4o

It's only 6 minutes.

Previous video demo shows that I can only start 3 nodes with-out setting
dom0_mem for the Xen hypervisor. If I try to start the 4th node, dom0 will
freeze.

This is proof that setting dom0_mem really works and improves overall system
performance.

--
My Primary Blog: http://teo-en-ming-aka-zhang-enming.blogspot.com
My Secondary Blog: http://enmingteo.wordpress.com
My Youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/enmingteo
Email: space.time.universe@gmail.com

@ 2009-11-09 14:37                   ` Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)
From: Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) @ 2009-11-09 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pasi Kärkkäinen
  Cc: xen-devel, space.time.universe, xen-users, Robert Dunkley

Hi All,

I have discovered that setting dom0_mem also solves another problem I am
facing.

Previously I have complained that, after starting a HVM guest, in any pv-ops
dom0 kernels 2.6.31.X, dom0 will be very slow, sluggish, and unresponsive,
such that it is nearly impossible to start another HVM virtual machine.

Now, after setting dom0_mem, I booted up into pvops dom0 kernel 2.6.31.5, I
started all 5 Rocks HPC cluster compute nodes at one go. And guess what?
Dom0 is not even sluggish! I could still do desktop screen video capturing!

Voila! Setting dom0_mem is really killing two birds with one stone. It
raises the number of VMs that I can start and also resolves the sluggishness
in dom0 (pvops kernels 2.6.31.X affected; 2.6.30-rc3 is NOT affected) after
starting a virtual machine.

Setting dom0_mem really does wonders.

Thank you Pasi!

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical
Engineering)
Alma Maters:
(1) Singapore Polytechnic
(2) National University of Singapore
My Primary Blog: http://teo-en-ming-aka-zhang-enming.blogspot.com
My Secondary Blog: http://enmingteo.wordpress.com
My Youtube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/enmingteo
Email: space.time.universe@gmail.com
Mobile Phone (Starhub Prepaid): +65-8369-2618
Street: Bedok Reservoir Road
Country: Singapore

@ 2009-11-09 11:54       ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2009-11-09 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)