* BLE advertise name
@ 2018-05-26 18:49 Marco Palumbi
From: Marco Palumbi @ 2018-05-26 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

hello to all,

I am trying to let BlueZ advertise on BLE with a name longer than 9
character. is this possible?
it seems to me that BlueZ uses the shortname to advertise over BLE.
Any suggestion?

Marco

* Re: BLE advertise name
@ 2018-05-27  7:01 ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2018-05-27  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Palumbi; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Marco,

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 9:49 PM, Marco Palumbi <marco@palumbi.it> wrote:
> hello to all,
>
> I am trying to let BlueZ advertise on BLE with a name longer than 9
> character. is this possible?
> it seems to me that BlueZ uses the shortname to advertise over BLE.
> Any suggestion?

How exactly are you trying to advertise? Btw, you should be able to
check what type we are using in the advertisement with use of btmon.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

* Re: BLE advertise name
@ 2018-05-28 10:40   ` Marco Palumbi
From: Marco Palumbi @ 2018-05-28 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

thank you for the replay Luiz.

On 27/05/2018 09:01, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 9:49 PM, Marco Palumbi <marco@palumbi.it> wrote:
>> hello to all,
>>
>> I am trying to let BlueZ advertise on BLE with a name longer than 9
>> character. is this possible?
>> it seems to me that BlueZ uses the shortname to advertise over BLE.
>> Any suggestion?
> How exactly are you trying to advertise? Btw, you should be able to
> check what type we are using in the advertisement with use of btmon.

I tried to play with btmon but I wasn't able to find useful information
from it (probably I am not using it correctly..)
here is what I have done (BlueZ 5.41 - Digi Embedded Yocto 2.2-r3)

after starting the  bluetoothd

btmgmt -i hci0 le on
btmgmt -i hci0 connectable on
btmgmt -i hci0 advertising on
btmgmt -i hci0 discov on
btmgmt -i hci0 name MyVeryLongNameThatExceedsNineCharacters

now, if I search for BLE devices from an adroid phone using the "nRF
Connct" (app from Nordic Semi for BLE tast) I can see my device shown
only with this name:

MyVeryLong  (indeed they are 10 chars and not 9)

while if I do a "classic" ble scan from android I see it shown twice
both with the long and the short name.

Nevertheless the android app "nRF Connct" is able to get longer names
from devices not using BlueZ stack

is this a limit of BlueZ or there is something wrong on my setup?

* Re: BLE advertise name
@ 2018-05-28 10:50     ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2018-05-28 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Palumbi; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Marco,

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Marco Palumbi <marco@palumbi.it> wrote:
> thank you for the replay Luiz.
>

> On 27/05/2018 09:01, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
>>
>> Hi Marco,
>>
>> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 9:49 PM, Marco Palumbi <marco@palumbi.it> wrote:
>>>
>>> hello to all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to let BlueZ advertise on BLE with a name longer than 9
>>> character. is this possible?
>>> it seems to me that BlueZ uses the shortname to advertise over BLE.
>>> Any suggestion?
>>
>> How exactly are you trying to advertise? Btw, you should be able to
>> check what type we are using in the advertisement with use of btmon.
>>
> I tried to play with btmon but I wasn't able to find useful information from
> it (probably I am not using it correctly..)
> here is what I have done (BlueZ 5.41 - Digi Embedded Yocto 2.2-r3)
>
> after starting the  bluetoothd
>
> btmgmt -i hci0 le on
> btmgmt -i hci0 connectable on
> btmgmt -i hci0 advertising on
> btmgmt -i hci0 discov on
> btmgmt -i hci0 name MyVeryLongNameThatExceedsNineCharacters
>
> now, if I search for BLE devices from an adroid phone using the "nRF Connct"
> (app from Nordic Semi for BLE tast) I can see my device shown only with this
> name:
>
> MyVeryLong  (indeed they are 10 chars and not 9)
>
> while if I do a "classic" ble scan from android I see it shown twice both
> with the long and the short name.
>
> Nevertheless the android app "nRF Connct" is able to get longer names from
> devices not using BlueZ stack
>
> is this a limit of BlueZ or there is something wrong on my setup?

Except that you should be using btmgmt as that requires sudo/root, I
actually wonder why you haven't tried with bluetoothctl as that would
use the D-Bus API available to applications?

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

* Re: BLE advertise name
@ 2018-05-28 15:01       ` Marco Palumbi
From: Marco Palumbi @ 2018-05-28 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Luiz

On 28/05/2018 12:50, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Marco Palumbi <marco@palumbi.it> wrote:
>> thank you for the replay Luiz.
>>

>> On 27/05/2018 09:01, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
>>> Hi Marco,

>>> How exactly are you trying to advertise? Btw, you should be able to
>>> check what type we are using in the advertisement with use of btmon.
>>>
>> I tried to play with btmon but I wasn't able to find useful information from
>> it (probably I am not using it correctly..)
>> here is what I have done (BlueZ 5.41 - Digi Embedded Yocto 2.2-r3)
>>
>> after starting the  bluetoothd
>>
>> btmgmt -i hci0 le on
>> btmgmt -i hci0 connectable on
>> btmgmt -i hci0 advertising on
>> btmgmt -i hci0 discov on
>> btmgmt -i hci0 name MyVeryLongNameThatExceedsNineCharacters
>>
>> now, if I search for BLE devices from an adroid phone using the "nRF Connct"
>> (app from Nordic Semi for BLE tast) I can see my device shown only with this
>> name:
>>
>> MyVeryLong  (indeed they are 10 chars and not 9)
>>
>> while if I do a "classic" ble scan from android I see it shown twice both
>> with the long and the short name.
>>
>> Nevertheless the android app "nRF Connct" is able to get longer names from
>> devices not using BlueZ stack
>>
>> is this a limit of BlueZ or there is something wrong on my setup?
> Except that you should be using btmgmt as that requires sudo/root, I
> actually wonder why you haven't tried with bluetoothctl as that would
> use the D-Bus API available to applications?

I am not using sudo because I am on a very embedded SBC with ARM7 and
Yocto linux distribution that has only the root user.
I am not using bluetoothctl mainly for lack of documentation..
What I am trying to do is to set up this board as BLE
peripheral/server...(most of the available documentation refer to
linux/BueZ as central/client..)
and I wish this board to be discoverable trough the BLE discovery
protocol with its full name instead of the short one.
looking to the sources of btmgmnt, I understand that it sets the long
and short names using the hci management soket and that is then managed
at kernel divice dirver level...
is there any way to let the kernel to use the long name to announce on
the BLE network?
My problem is that this linux board continues to be discovered whit its
short name as BLE device

* Re: BLE advertise name
@ 2018-05-31  7:55         ` Marco Palumbi
From: Marco Palumbi @ 2018-05-31  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Luiz

On 28/05/2018 17:01, Marco Palumbi wrote:
> Hi Luiz
>

> On 28/05/2018 12:50, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
>> Hi Marco,
>>
>> On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Marco Palumbi <marco@palumbi.it> wrote:
>>> thank you for the replay Luiz.

>>> I tried to play with btmon but I wasn't able to find useful
>>> information from
>>> it (probably I am not using it correctly..)
>>> here is what I have done (BlueZ 5.41 - Digi Embedded Yocto 2.2-r3)
>>>
>>> after starting the  bluetoothd
>>>
>>> btmgmt -i hci0 le on
>>> btmgmt -i hci0 connectable on
>>> btmgmt -i hci0 advertising on
>>> btmgmt -i hci0 discov on
>>> btmgmt -i hci0 name MyVeryLongNameThatExceedsNineCharacters
>>>
>>> now, if I search for BLE devices from an adroid phone using the "nRF
>>> Connct"
>>> (app from Nordic Semi for BLE tast) I can see my device shown only
>>> with this
>>> name:
>>>
>>> MyVeryLong  (indeed they are 10 chars and not 9)
>>>
>>> while if I do a "classic" ble scan from android I see it shown twice
>>> both
>>> with the long and the short name.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless the android app "nRF Connct" is able to get longer
>>> names from
>>> devices not using BlueZ stack
>>>
>>> is this a limit of BlueZ or there is something wrong on my setup?
>> Except that you should be using btmgmt as that requires sudo/root, I
>> actually wonder why you haven't tried with bluetoothctl as that would
>> use the D-Bus API available to applications?
>>

> I am not using sudo because I am on a very embedded SBC with ARM7 and
> Yocto linux distribution that has only the root user.
> I am not using bluetoothctl mainly for lack of documentation..
> What I am trying to do is to set up this board as BLE
> peripheral/server...(most of the available documentation refer to
> linux/BueZ as central/client..)
> and I wish this board to be discoverable trough the BLE discovery
> protocol with its full name instead of the short one.
> looking to the sources of btmgmnt, I understand that it sets the long
> and short names using the hci management soket and that is then
> managed at kernel divice dirver level...
> is there any way to let the kernel to use the long name to announce on
> the BLE network?
> My problem is that this linux board continues to be discovered whit
> its short name as BLE device

first of all I want to tank you for your time spent to help me.
I was able to achieve my goal with the following commands:

### LE Set Advertising Data (0x08|0x0008) plen 32 ###
hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x08 0x0008 1e 02 01 02 02 0a 02 17 09 4d 79 56 65
72 79 56 65 72 79 56 65 72 79 4c 6f 6e 67 4e 61 6d 65 00
### LE Set Advertising Parameters (0x08|0x0006) plen 15 ###
hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x08 0x0006 50 00 50 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
07 00
### LE Set Advertise Enable (0x08|0x000a) plen 1 ###
hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x08 0x000a 01

just a question: should I be able to achieve the same result using
bluetoothctl?

* Re: BLE advertise name
@ 2018-05-31  8:26           ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2018-05-31  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Palumbi; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Marco,

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:55 AM, Marco Palumbi <marco@palumbi.it> wrote:
> Hi Luiz
>

> On 28/05/2018 17:01, Marco Palumbi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Luiz
>>

>> On 28/05/2018 12:50, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Marco,

>>> Except that you should be using btmgmt as that requires sudo/root, I
>>> actually wonder why you haven't tried with bluetoothctl as that would
>>> use the D-Bus API available to applications?
>>>

>> I am not using sudo because I am on a very embedded SBC with ARM7 and
>> Yocto linux distribution that has only the root user.
>> I am not using bluetoothctl mainly for lack of documentation..
>> What I am trying to do is to set up this board as BLE
>> peripheral/server...(most of the available documentation refer to linux/BueZ
>> as central/client..)
>> and I wish this board to be discoverable trough the BLE discovery protocol
>> with its full name instead of the short one.
>> looking to the sources of btmgmnt, I understand that it sets the long and
>> short names using the hci management soket and that is then managed at
>> kernel divice dirver level...
>> is there any way to let the kernel to use the long name to announce on the
>> BLE network?
>> My problem is that this linux board continues to be discovered whit its
>> short name as BLE device
>>

> first of all I want to tank you for your time spent to help me.
> I was able to achieve my goal with the following commands:
>
> ### LE Set Advertising Data (0x08|0x0008) plen 32 ###
> hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x08 0x0008 1e 02 01 02 02 0a 02 17 09 4d 79 56 65 72 79
> 56 65 72 79 56 65 72 79 4c 6f 6e 67 4e 61 6d 65 00
> ### LE Set Advertising Parameters (0x08|0x0006) plen 15 ###
> hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x08 0x0006 50 00 50 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 07
> 00
> ### LE Set Advertise Enable (0x08|0x000a) plen 1 ###
> hcitool -i hci0 cmd 0x08 0x000a 01
>

> just a question: should I be able to achieve the same result using
> bluetoothctl?

Just use the latest version, that contains a menu dedicated to advertise:

Menu advertise:
Available commands:
-------------------
uuids [uuid1 uuid2 ...]                           Set/Get advertise uuids
service [uuid] [data=xx xx ...]                   Set/Get advertise service data
manufacturer [id] [data=xx xx ...]                Set/Get advertise
manufacturer data
data [type] [data=xx xx ...]                      Set/Get advertise data
discoverable [on/off]                             Set/Get advertise discoverable
discoverable-timeout [seconds]                    Set/Get advertise
discoverable timeout
tx-power [on/off]                                 Show/Enable/Disable
TX power to be advertised
name [on/off/name]                                Configure local name
to be advertised
appearance [on/off/value]                         Configure custom
appearance to be advertised
duration [seconds]                                Set/Get advertise duration
timeout [seconds]                                 Set/Get advertise timeout
clear [uuids/service/manufacturer/config-name...] Clear advertise config
back                                              Return to main menu
version                                           Display version
quit                                              Quit program
exit                                              Quit program
help                                              Display help about
this program
export                                            Print evironment variables

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz

* Re: BLE advertise name
@ 2018-05-31  8:47             ` Marco Palumbi
From: Marco Palumbi @ 2018-05-31  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luiz Augusto von Dentz; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Luiz

On 31/05/2018 10:26, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> [...]
> to be advertised
> appearance [on/off/value]                         Configure custom
> appearance to be advertised
> duration [seconds]                                Set/Get advertise duration
> timeout [seconds]                                 Set/Get advertise timeout
> clear [uuids/service/manufacturer/config-name...] Clear advertise config
> back                                              Return to main menu
> version                                           Display version
> quit                                              Quit program
> exit                                              Quit program
> help                                              Display help about
> this program
> export                                            Print evironment variables

thank you.
I will give a look to the sources in order to integrate it on my C
application using the D-Bus API